Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 08 Feb 2021 Onward

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
3 minutes ago, Somerset Squall said:

We already did, with Tuesday's channel low lol

Good point! Winter is complete.

• Like 1

Posted

Classic decaying occluded front, followed by warm front. Surely that stuff in the channel will be sleet/rain. Can we hang on to cold air for a few more flakes?

Edit 2m temp 1C, Dew -3C

Edited by kumquat
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,cold, & sunny & warm

Light and powdery and starting to stick on all surfaces, being blown around in the wind.

Temperature -0.3 still.

Pleasant surprise just need a few more hours please!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Being under these kind of echoes on the Radar you would expect some moderate snow....hardly anything making down to the ground. 

The sublimation is really in action big time!

36FE5EDE-B03D-4FE7-9EC1-4C9D10B8E277.thumb.png.a94b8588f6eddd766df80c4c5c927dd6.png

Im thinking as the air mass become moister any following ppn may well fall to the ground, that’s if the ppn makes it overhead.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Shaftesburydelightski said:

Light and powdery and starting to stick on all surfaces, being blown around in the wind.

Temperature -0.3 still.

Pleasant surprise just need a few more hours please!

What? That's not fair!

• Like 1

Posted

Next Saturday still looking decent for a Barbie.

spacer.png

Might take a leaf out of Night's King's book and mow the lawn.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Dry and cloudy with a cold breeze, not a hint of any snow this far east. 1.3°C

Posted
6 minutes ago, kumquat said:

Next Saturday still looking decent for a Barbie.

spacer.png

Might take a leaf out of Night's King's book and mow the lawn.

Looks fab, if it stays dry. Our back garden lawn looks ripe for first cut; but needs a good rake to get rid of moss. In a dreadful state moss-wise. Anyone know on here if i should rake early, like end Feb? Or wait til Spring proper, like early April?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Well, I can safely say I’ve slept through the epic snow event that has just passed. I am never drinking again. Red wine and Prosecco dont mix. I should know this at my age. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in the winter, warm and dry in the summer !

Still nothing this far east but I live in hope!

Met office have updated their long range outlook and pretty much have removed talk of cold until beginning of March, and even that has been toned down from before! Just a small chance for cold returning next weekend still so I'll hold on to that  

Thursday 18 Feb - Saturday 27 Feb

This period begins with temperatures much milder than recent, with temperatures returning to around or slightly above average for most, with some mild spells being seen in the south and west. There remains a small chance to return to wider colder conditions for the weekend, but the likelihood is low. The UK looks to be split broadly northwest to southeast in terms of the general weather types with the west and northwest more likely to see wet conditions with strong winds at times, and the east and south east more likely to remain drier, fine, and settled. Under these settled conditions we may see temperatures falling back to average or below, and with increased incidence of overnight frost and fog. Any snowfall most likely becoming restricted to the Scottish mountains.

Updated: 16:00 (UTC) on Sat 13 Feb 2021

Saturday 27 Feb - Saturday 13 Mar

Into late February there is a signal for higher than average pressure to sit close to or over the UK, with likely drier and more settled conditions prevailing. Temperatures likely to return back to around, if not below, average with a greater chance of cold spells during this time, bringing an increased threat of widespread frost and a very uncertain chance of snow. Towards mid-March there are signs of returning to a more unsettled period, with milder interludes more likely once more.

Edited by wiltshire weather
  • Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, wiltshire weather said:

Still nothing this far east but I live in hope!

Met office have updated their long range outlook and pretty much have removed talk of cold until beginning of March, and even that they've toned down the wording for.

Thursday 18 Feb - Saturday 27 Feb

This period begins with temperatures much milder than recent, with temperatures returning to around or slightly above average for most, with some mild spells being seen in the south and west. There remains a small chance to return to wider colder conditions for the weekend, but the likelihood is low. The UK looks to be split broadly northwest to southeast in terms of the general weather types with the west and northwest more likely to see wet conditions with strong winds at times, and the east and south east more likely to remain drier, fine, and settled. Under these settled conditions we may see temperatures falling back to average or below, and with increased incidence of overnight frost and fog. Any snowfall most likely becoming restricted to the Scottish mountains.

Saturday 27 Feb - Saturday 13 Mar

Into late February there is a signal for higher than average pressure to sit close to or over the UK, with likely drier and more settled conditions prevailing. Temperatures likely to return back to around, if not below, average with a greater chance of cold spells during this time, bringing an increased threat of widespread frost and a very uncertain chance of snow. Towards mid-March there are signs of returning to a more unsettled period, with milder interludes more likely once more.

Next time when I'm shot down in the MAD thread for suggesting that the SE gets the best types of ALL weather, I'm gonna hold my ground.

• Like 4

Posted

This winter has been such a let down. It just makes me laugh how sooo many people thought this winter was going to be historical. Just shows we had about 4 SSW? None of them made great impact apart from the east and Scotland. Such a shame I’ll prob book Finland or Iceland next winter for a few days 

• Like 2

Posted

There was a decent flurry while we were walking near Battlesbury Hill.

However the best sight was a frozen flood where the water level had seemingly receded underneath after freezing on top around tree trunks. 

62BE1BD5-42EC-4222-9F51-7C3C59C64607.jpeg

A8752040-3E6F-4D56-8013-74A040C49D01.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, CentralSouthernSnow said:

This winter has been such a let down. It just makes me laugh how sooo many people thought this winter was going to be historical. Just shows we had about 4 SSW? None of them made great impact apart from the east and Scotland. Such a shame I’ll prob book Finland or Iceland next winter for a few days 

I definitely agree re: snow, but there's no denying this has been a decent cold spell. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Andy Bown said:

There was a decent flurry while we were walking near Battlesbury Hill.

However the best sight was a frozen flood where the water level had seemingly receded underneath after freezing on top around tree trunks. 

62BE1BD5-42EC-4222-9F51-7C3C59C64607.jpeg

A8752040-3E6F-4D56-8013-74A040C49D01.jpeg

Great photos. There have been some great shots taken over the past week of absurd-looking cold anomalies. Ice spikes and super red sunrises.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Man Without Beard said:

Is there a problem with the radar? Showing widespread snow even here, but reality is completely dry!

Sublimation seems the keyword for this spell. It's been a good chemistry lesson.

Edited by kumquat
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Small rain drops here now . 

bring on the mild bbq weather mid teens for next weekend . 

• Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, kumquat said:

Interesting, 1.1C ground temp, -3 Dew, air aloft must be warm now. Yep sleety rain here now.

Could be the freezing rain hazard now for some spots?