Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 08 Feb 2021 Onward

Mapantz

Posted
1 hour ago, festivalking said:

Been working in Plymouth all day and even though the radar says its been snowing it hasn't made it to the ground. PPN to light. Anyway big story down here is there is a spate of fires on the moors

Yes, what on earth is going on?  How can things catch fire outside in this weather?! 

Posted
4 minutes ago, m1chaels said:

So I was wondering why on earth there was a moorland fire in the middle of winter having associated them with high temperatures and drought.  I was wondering if 'freeze drying' might be the issue, have the low temperatures removed all the moisture from the foliage making the area flammable despite the low temperatures?

Apparently it was an army flare but that could be hearsay. They have set the moor on fire by the yard a few times, one incident a few years ago destroyed 50 acres due to live firing around Easter time when it was very warm and dry. Because of its remoteness they can't quite get to it. 

It is extremely dry up there currently and nearly all the liquid up there is frozen thick too. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
1 hour ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

That precipitation isn't reaching Exeter, stuck down towards Plymouth, I'm not 100% confident that it would actually be snow as Exeter is being warmed by the English Channel now, a piercing wind but it's raised the temperature to 3C at the airport.

I wonder if I have been suffering from a microscale version of that. I am about 400 metres to the east of the River Thames. Could the easterly wind crossing the water be responsible for daytime temperatures well above the forecasted sub-freezing levels?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Yes the radar is a bit of a phantom menace. As alluded to earlier its evaporating before hitting the deck. We managed a few flakes and grains earlier this evening on this part of the moor but no accumulations

Posted
1 minute ago, AWD said:

The mighty ICON returns.  The 18z ICON reverses the recent trend of a dying front, and instead brings the band far enough north & east for most of the region to see some modest snow falling, before fragmenting the PPN in the afternoon;

iconeu_uk1-42-40-0.thumb.png.177b2ac7a14057fc51b2ec8770d7475c.png

iconeu_uk1-42-41-0.thumb.png.ec93225c24b6956f285130927a5e8c3e.png

iconeu_uk1-42-42-0.thumb.png.499a560e77f8b7c122dba0d401b5b6a4.png

iconeu_uk1-42-43-0.thumb.png.b176f51dae8940f75180c2a4f7319d51.png

iconeu_uk1-42-44-0.thumb.png.8d0d242c43d85108f720c1552c1e3861.png

iconeu_uk1-42-45-0.thumb.png.e47e61278e62bf2d09253fece738751a.png

God Bless the mighty ICON.  If only hey......

Bank! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Interesting looking at the temps at the moment... They've continued to rise here, albeit slow. Temp now at 2.5°C. Just a few miles North of here they are below zero.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
30 minutes ago, snowponies said:

Apparently it was an army flare but that could be hearsay. They have set the moor on fire by the yard a few times, one incident a few years ago destroyed 50 acres due to live firing around Easter time when it was very warm and dry. Because of its remoteness they can't quite get to it. 

It is extremely dry up there currently and nearly all the liquid up there is frozen thick too. 

Hope you and the horses are alright. Heard its up around tavy cleave. Can see the glow from over here in dousland. Its incredible how dry the moor is after all this frost and wind. Mind you once the mild air arrives its going to be a quagmire!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Good example of what others have said this evening too.  PPN on radar isn't reaching the equivalent intensity on ground due to the very cold, dry, SE air essentially "sucking" the moisture out of the atmosphere.

Same again on Saturday.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Quite a rise in temperature here, 0.2°C to 1.8°C in just over 20 minutes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snow, hot & thundery!
1 hour ago, Andy Bown said:

The radar is probably accurate. I would expect the combination of dry air and SE wind is evaporating precipitation before it reaches the ground.

Something I expect to happen quite a lot in the next 48 hours.

Good point...and completely sums up our last bit of hope...

Posted

Well, the radar looked promising for Plymouth earlier, but as previous posts have mentioned, the snow evaporated on the way down (before it reached my house!)

In fact it has been a remarkable week in how all the precipitation just missed this part of the country.

Perhaps I should have dragged the barbecue out of the garage and lit it. That's normally the precursor to an immediate deluge.....

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Temperature rising here too, albeit still below freezing... -1.6°C up from -2.0°C earlier. DP also rising

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

I should add that 1.8°C is the highest it's been all day. Seems to have stopped rising at the moment. 

Posted

Rise in temperature in the last 30 minutes here too, was down to -2.3°C and now is up to 0.5°C, appears steady now.

No change in wind direction or cloud cover it seems.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in the winter, warm and dry in the summer !
1 hour ago, AWD said:

The mighty ICON returns.  The 18z ICON reverses the recent trend of a dying front on Saturday, and instead brings the band far enough north & east for most of the region to see some modest snow falling, before fragmenting the PPN in the afternoon......

Will be interesting to see what the models are predicting in the morning, perhaps more of them will follow the Icon, you never know!

This one could come down to radar watching on the day as anything is possible in this setup..  

Posted
9 minutes ago, wiltshire weather said:

Will be interesting to see what the models are predicting in the morning, perhaps more of them will follow the Icon, you never know!

This one could come down to radar watching on the day as anything is possible in this setup..  

It would be great to have a surprise snowy breakdown late Saturday/early Sunday after a disappointing week!

Posted
4 hours ago, TallPaul said:

Forgive me for ramping it up...but I've seen about 7....

Thank you for the laugh! I needed that!!

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 hours ago, AWD said:

The mighty ICON returns.  The 18z ICON reverses the recent trend of a dying front on Saturday, and instead brings the band far enough north & east for most of the region to see some modest snow falling, before fragmenting the PPN in the afternoon;

iconeu_uk1-42-40-0.thumb.png.177b2ac7a14057fc51b2ec8770d7475c.png

iconeu_uk1-42-41-0.thumb.png.ec93225c24b6956f285130927a5e8c3e.png

iconeu_uk1-42-42-0.thumb.png.499a560e77f8b7c122dba0d401b5b6a4.png

iconeu_uk1-42-43-0.thumb.png.b176f51dae8940f75180c2a4f7319d51.png

iconeu_uk1-42-44-0.thumb.png.8d0d242c43d85108f720c1552c1e3861.png

iconeu_uk1-42-45-0.thumb.png.e47e61278e62bf2d09253fece738751a.png

God Bless the mighty ICON.  If only hey......

And watch it all evaporate before it hits the ground. #coldspellsthathateyou

Posted
3 hours ago, AWD said:

Good example of what others have said this evening too.  PPN on radar isn't reaching the equivalent intensity on ground due to the very cold, dry, SE air essentially "sucking" the moisture out of the atmosphere.

Same again on Saturday.

Shame this evaporation doesn't work on rain. Probably be flooded again before the month is out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

the radar is now trolling... i've been watching with a spotlight outside... even some cyan colours on the radar came overhead.

Just the odd white speck blowing in the wind.. nothing more than that. Ahhhh blast it... not even a light dusting

Ohh i may add, since it's put out the glass bottles night today... the entire town is alive... to the sounds, of empty glass bottles being blown around in the very gusty winds

Edited by stevofunnelcl
adding wind bottles stuff
  • Like 1

Posted

Arpege 0Z overnight still has a little hope for a dusting Saturday, over frames from 10:00 until 19:00 for the region: 

Snapshot for 16:00. 

spacer.png

ICON 0Z showing a similar dusting passing through:

spacer.png

Edited by kumquat
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in the winter, warm and dry in the summer !
2 minutes ago, kumquat said:

Arpege 0Z overnight still has a little hope for Saturday over frames from 10:00 until 19:00 for the region:

spacer.png

Looks like GEM/ECM/ICON also have at least some snow getting across our region on Saturday so I would say there is growing support for this, although amounts will probably not come to much and I doubt any of it will reach the eastern areas unfortunately.

• Like 1