Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 08 Feb 2021 Onward

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
8 minutes ago, Skullzrulerz said:

I was thinking more of the lines of this

Meanwhile.....in Ipswich ....

(I feel we might derail the thread if we continue but couldn’t resist)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

18z ICON very similar to it's earlier 12z run, with a good snowfall for many inland areas of the region on Saturday.  Again, won't post all the charts, just a snapshot below;

iconeu_uk1-42-84-0.thumb.png.86caeadf164cfba925f7de66f4786e50.png

iconeu_uk1-42-87-0.thumb.png.696b59ea57353cf6e91aac7e06d32780.png

iconeu_uk1-42-90-0.thumb.png.f8dca1d607429626aaeb8687f7694ba7.png

Very consistent between both 12z and 18z output.  Still a rank outsider but we can hope!  Oh hail the mighty ICON! 

• Like 9

Posted
1 minute ago, AWD said:

18z ICON very similar to it's earlier 12z run, with a good snowfall for many inland areas of the region on Saturday.  Again, won't post all the charts, just a snapshot below;

Very consistent between both 12z and 18z output.  Still a rank outsider but we can hope!  Oh hail the mighty ICON! 

That would just about sum this cold spell up, I’ve been too far west, too far south and now too far east. Splendid 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
Just now, alex12 said:

Potential back on now for Thursday and Saturday?

Wouldn't go that far yet.  Just an observation with regards to the ICON for now.  A lot of uncertainty with regards to snow/rain/dry on Saturday.

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, AWD said:

Wouldn't go that far yet.  Just an observation with regards to the ICON for now.  A lot of uncertainty with regards to snow/rain/dry on Saturday.

Thanks for the updates!-Trying to learn a little more rather than chase snow 

• Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, AWD said:

Hmmm interesting. Must be positive signs still

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snow, hot & thundery!
31 minutes ago, AWD said:

Latest 18z ICON consistent in giving Devon some snowfall Thursday night into Friday morning.  Won't bother posting all the charts, here is a couple below as a snapshot;

iconeu_uk1-42-59-0.thumb.png.186b6d3bd494364f7ba3695643aeb6b5.png

iconeu_uk1-42-60-0.thumb.png.82c379febc22727b85f4339d0d6927bc.png

Actually brings it slightly further NE into Somerset too.  Mainly light snow but nonetheless, something for snow starved Devonshire members to keep an eye on (and possibly Somerset folk here too).

Thanks AWD, I'm pretty confident that even if it's a snow -to -rain event, lasting no longer than 10 mins...it will still be the highlight and 'potential' snow-worthy news for S.Devon since 2018.....i'll take it please....

• Like 3

Posted

Taking the GFS 18z as raw data, Bristol gets 30 hours of precipitation showing as snowfall before the milder air finally pushes through....

84h to 116h....each 6h frame in-between is showing ppn as snow for Bristol.

16BEA32D-8171-418E-A6BB-123E92B952CE.thumb.gif.4b127295c9954e1510ba053f552a050b.gif98AAA246-37DF-4DD3-B142-BC5DC279A35C.thumb.gif.2caadb5f575fab5a774cf8e78e1ad99c.gif

Edited by chris55
  • Like 6

Posted
Just now, chris55 said:

Taking the GFS 18z as raw data, Bristol gets 30 hours of precipitation showing as snowfall before the milder air finally pushes through....

84h to 116h....each 6h frame in-between is showing ppn as snow!

16BEA32D-8171-418E-A6BB-123E92B952CE.thumb.gif.4b127295c9954e1510ba053f552a050b.gif98AAA246-37DF-4DD3-B142-BC5DC279A35C.thumb.gif.2caadb5f575fab5a774cf8e78e1ad99c.gif

Hopefully the Met Office are on board.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.
6 minutes ago, chris55 said:

BANK

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snow, hot & thundery!
9 minutes ago, chris55 said:

You lucky old so and so.....

• Like 1

Posted

For anyone who hasn't seen the METOFFICE longer range update issued at 4pm today, it certainly highlights the risk of more snowfalls in the west going through the rest of feb. Doesn't look like they are expecting the Atlantic airmass to push through completely with a few mentions of snowfalls.....

Here it is if you haven't seen it in the met office thread

UK long range weather forecast

Sunday 14 Feb - Tuesday 23 Feb

It will remain cold or very cold with strong winds on Sunday but potentially turning milder over western areas. Outbreaks of rain and snow, potentially heavy for some southwestern areas are possible, whilst staying mostly dry and bright in central and southeastern areas. Further into this period, snow and wintry hazards are likely to continue which could affect mainly northern areas and eastern areas, especially over higher ground but not confined to. Although confidence weakens later in the period, the best of any sunshine looks to be in eastern and northeastern areas, with unsettled conditions mainly towards the west. Strong winds are likely throughout with the risk of coastal gales and temperatures overall remaining cold, with mild interludes in the west.

Updated: 16:00 (UTC) on Tue 9 Feb 2021

Tuesday 23 Feb - Tuesday 9 Mar

After a potential spell of milder and wetter conditions for most likely western parts, probably a return to colder and drier conditions overall. Whilst overall conditions are likely to remain cold, there is a continued chance for unsettled, milder interludes arriving from the west or southwest. These may produce a risk of disruptive snowfall during transition periods. Eastern areas are also likely to see some further snow showers, with the best of any dry bright and sunny weather in the north and northwest.

Updated: 16:00 (UTC) on Tue 9 Feb 2021

Edited by chris55
  • Like 2

Posted

Blimey it’s quiet in here tonight. Everyone given up ??‍♀️ am I the last one standing at this party?! 

standard

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in the winter, warm and dry in the summer !

I think the drama for Friday-Sunday is far from decided yet.

The Icon continues to show a very snowy breakdown and the GFS 18z is not dissimilar with frontal snow across various parts of our region Fri, Sat and Sun! Strong SE winds throughout as well so some drifting if it happens like that.

I'm still not convinced the Atlantic will break through completely just yet either. It def feels as though things are on a knife edge and could quite easily flip back to a colder scenario if things fall into place.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow
14 minutes ago, khodds said:

Blimey it’s quiet in here tonight. Everyone given up ??‍♀️ am I the last one standing at this party?! 

standard

Nah the party is still going for me. Feel a lot better now it's not just the ICON suggesting decent snow on Saturday. Hoping to hear a more detailed forecast from the MetO tomorrow for the weekend. 

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, MidnightSnow said:

Nah the party is still going for me. Feel a lot better now it's not just the ICON suggesting decent snow on Saturday. Hoping to hear a more detailed forecast from the MetO tomorrow for the weekend. 

Whoop! Glad there’s someone left to party with me (tho am going to sleep now haha!). Here’s hoping we get a nice dumping and the cold air wins.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Storms
3 hours ago, Crackerjack said:

Our Snizzle on the radar has gone from looking solid to quite fragmented in just 10 mins ❄️?‍♂️ I give up 

3D838BC4-6C8F-486C-AB7A-8507EAFDCE01.jpeg

E9A4BA83-0738-4492-86A5-6DF56E11A5CC.jpeg

I know. It always seems to break up or

skirt around those hills unless we’re extremely lucky

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in the winter, warm and dry in the summer !
12 minutes ago, Don said:

Snow pepped up here now and has cheered me up slightly!

There's a definite streamer setting up just north of the A303 at the moment.

I think it may sink southwards through the early hours but may well give anyone under it a decent dusting, especially if it is slow moving.

Posted
1 minute ago, wiltshire weather said:

There's a definite streamer setting up just north of the A303 at the moment.

I think it may sink southwards through the early hours but may well give anyone under it a decent dusting, especially if it is slow moving.

Yes, looks like a narrow band on the radar but giving me a good dusting so far!  Not sure how long it will last.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold, ice, frost, thundersnow,

Some of the snow near Ludgershall/Andover looking fairly heavy. Probably a quick 1-2cm here? Very localised.

Posted
2 minutes ago, sukayuonsensnow said:

Some of the snow near Ludgershall/Andover looking fairly heavy. Probably a quick 1-2cm here? Very localised.

Yes, relatively heavy snow in Ludgershall right now but a very narrow band.

• Like 1

Posted
38 minutes ago, wiltshire weather said:

I think the drama for Friday-Sunday is far from decided yet.

The Icon continues to show a very snowy breakdown and the GFS 18z is not dissimilar with frontal snow across various parts of our region Fri, Sat and Sun! Strong SE winds throughout as well so some drifting if it happens like that.

I'm still not convinced the Atlantic will break through completely just yet either. It def feels as though things are on a knife edge and could quite easily flip back to a colder scenario if things fall into place.

Please don’t give us false hope

• Like 1