Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 08 Feb 2021 Onward

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Storms

Typical. Within 30secs of leaving home, I was driving through the heaviest graupel shower yet Still heavy in Wootton Bassett 

• Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Had a light dusting here this morning which quickly melted despite the temperature barely making it above freezing all day so far. Cloudy and breezy now. 0.2°C

We had the same a dustings too. Kids excited and wanted to go out to play in it but not worth it! Melted so quickly though! Roll in Spring indeed!

Posted
20 minutes ago, Skullzrulerz said:

I wonder if this could make inroads into Cornwall

Screenshot_20210209-133347__01.jpg

It's certainly looks further north than i believed it to be forecast, so you never know.  Whereabouts are you in Cornwall?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Sun

The last time I was this excited about something I think I had just bought a new pair of work boot laces. As they say in the creche thread...240hrs is when it will start and more runs needed

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Not entirely fruitless here with a slight covering of mainly graupel this morning.

Gone from most artificial surfaces and grass by 11 pm though.

Has become windy again since then - it was weirdly calm when the snow/ice was falling.

8855F281-6053-4C2A-8ED5-0A952BD426F5.jpeg

41A4AE23-C98F-4FDA-B598-28BAE8FA1A31.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Some moderately heavy snizzle blowing around here in the wind.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, swebby said:

It's certainly looks further north than i believed it to be forecast, so you never know.  Whereabouts are you in Cornwall?

Just around St Austell on the hills 

I think it's starting to fizze out around Truro area 

• Like 1

Posted

Now that's what I call a "snizzle machine";

IMG_20210209_140637.thumb.jpg.4d2f0b2d6292496193e1dcf4285f4bd6.jpg

Actual light snow here now.

Edited by AWD
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold, ice, frost, thundersnow,
1 minute ago, AWD said:

Now that's what I call a "snizzle machine";

IMG_20210209_140637.thumb.jpg.4d2f0b2d6292496193e1dcf4285f4bd6.jpg

Actual light snow here now.

Some very localised spots in this getting decent snow accumulations, otherwise more of the same. Snow floating around in the wind, dustings that don't stay around long.

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather of Mass Disruption said:

Must cost you a fortune in bird feed  I use squirrel proof feeders as this also stops the bigger birds demolishing all the feed. They’re expensive but work brilliantly 

Hoping we can latch on to some heavier precipitation as this grupel snow is so light it’s barely visible 

Yep costs a fortune in bird feed. That's a make shift one so my husband's got something to stare at when he glazes over working from home. I'm way too soft, I let the big boys have their feed and when they fly off, I top it up for the little ones. In all honesty the big birds only bother when it's really cold.  Unfortunately we never get squirells in our garden.

Fingers crossed for something heavier but if it's not to be, I'm still happy with the icy cold wind 

• Like 1

Posted

Latest Meto outlook for the weekend into early next week is a lot more "open" and hopeful than I thought it would be, especially after this mornings model output;

Sunday 14 Feb - Tuesday 23 Feb

It will remain cold or very cold with strong winds on Sunday but potentially turning milder over western areas. Outbreaks of rain and snow, potentially heavy for some southwestern areas are possible, whilst staying mostly dry and bright in central and southeastern areas.

Uncertainty, as you would expect, but southwestern parts (especially more inland parts) are still very much in with a chance of some snowfall according to the experts.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

The snow may have gone due south but I Still managed an ice day today. We topped out at -0.3c and now its dropping. Wind is a brute as well.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
2 minutes ago, AWD said:

Latest Meto outlook for the weekend into early next week is a lot more "open" and hopeful than I thought it would be, especially after this mornings model output;

It will remain cold or very cold with strong winds on Sunday but potentially turning milder over western areas. Outbreaks of rain and snow, potentially heavy for some southwestern areas are possible, whilst staying mostly dry and bright in central and southeastern areas.

Uncertainty, as you would expect, but southwestern parts (especially more inland parts) are still very much in with a chance of some snowfall according to the experts.

Great news that the met office are still going against the models because I know which one I'd trust more. Hopefully we'll see a shift in the models in the next few runs to reflect this. The dream is still alive for stalling fronts and battleground snow over the region. Hoorah! 

• Like 6

Posted
4 minutes ago, AWD said:

I agree, it’s not a done deal that the milder Atlantic set up will win over the weekend and that’s how the pros see it.

The next couple of days forecast model runs will be interesting to see if they flip back to a remaining colder set up.

Posted
6 minutes ago, AWD said:

Better news for parts of some western and central areas but unfortunately that's game over for places like Cornwall and Devon

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Skullzrulerz said:

Better news for parts of some western and central areas but unfortunately that's game over for places like Cornwall and Devon

Yeah, admittedly it's not great for far South Western areas. 

The Meto divide the region, we just don't know where.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

Does it count as an ice day if the temperature stayed below 1c or does it have to be below 0?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn
Just now, Leon1 said:

Does it count as an ice day if the temperature stayed below 1c or does it have to be below 0?

I’ve always presumed below 0 as it’s below freezing point. Didn’t make it today as it’s got up to 0.7°C

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Leon1 said:

The latter.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Sun
9 minutes ago, John88B said:

Great news that the met office are still going against the models because I know which one I'd trust more. Hopefully we'll see a shift in the models in the next few runs to reflect this. The dream is still alive for stalling fronts and battleground snow over the region. Hoorah! 

To be fair, xc weather, which uses gfs has been showing this for a couple of days for Bristol

Screenshot_20210209-144613_XCWeather.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow

The MetO didn't even mention Thursday / Friday in their afternoon forecast today. Don't know if that's because it's not 'Week Ahead' video or because the uncertainty is still too high. Looks like it could go either way.

• Like 2