Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 08 Feb 2021 Onward

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Well done to all those in the south who had snow.  Really happy for you as I know you often miss out .

dry very frosty here  very cold too wind now picking up 

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, offerman said:

Well done to all those in the south who had snow.  Really happy for you as I know you often miss out .

dry very frosty here  very cold too wind now picking up 

To be honest I've seen harsher frosts. Not even enough for a snowball. It's literally a patchy fine dusting 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, AWD said:

This morning's modelling, including the latest UKV, is not the best for any significant snowfall for our area.

I won't bother posting the charts, as they really aren't worth it, but essentially a sprinkling for southern and western parts overnight Thursday into Friday and a brief snow to rain event for more northern and eastern parts on Saturday with things turning much milder from there on.

Like others have said, if this is the best we can get then roll in an early spring convective/storm season (although admittedly, there's not much sign of that either).

It seems like our snow event is always a week away and everytime we get closer it vanishes. I'm happy for it to warm up now, it's clear we're not in luck for a major snowfall.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
9 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

It seems like our snow event is always a week away and everytime we get closer it vanishes. I'm happy for it to warm up now, it's clear we're not in luck for a major snowfall.

To be honest, there isn't even much of a snow event a week away now.  

Perhaps I'm being a bit IMBY though, I will add that the UKV does still show some snowfall for Devon especially, over Thursday night;

IMG_20210209_072859.thumb.jpg.746fe5aadc81bd5d3ed138219fd820f5.jpg

Still something more more southern and western members to watch there.

Edited by AWD
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in the winter, warm and dry in the summer !

Great to see snow in some of the most snow starved areas overnight!

Wasn't expecting anything here and that's what we got! 

As AWD posted the models have universally trended away from keeping the cold spell going after the weekend, although the Meto further update doesn't reflect this it has to be said......yet!

Snow chances today?

Looks like some southern coastal areas might be the best placed although with the wind more E/ENE today I'm hoping some showers might make it east up here. There seems some light stuff inching along the M4 corridor towards us at the moment.

I still think some areas of our region might see something on Thursday as that little feature moves south to north, most likely a Devon/Cornwall affair it looks like.

After that, not much on offer this morning with not even a decent possible snowy breakdown to post about but hopefully that will flip back again in the 12z runs.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Definite activity south Devon particularly south hams. Looking good for some snow flurries this morning

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
7 minutes ago, AWD said:

To be honest, there isn't even much of a snow event a week away now.  

I'm calling this a bust for me. I like cold, but it really needs some snow to make it worth while.

Looking at the models, a slow breakdown to something a little warmer looks likely. As long as it doesn't turn wet and windy then I don't really mind.

Edited by SteveB
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in the winter, warm and dry in the summer !

If only one of the shower trains like one from the Wash this morning would set up from the Thames we would be in business  

image.thumb.png.fdf9c6e7436ca63b49030d371b2676ac.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,cold, & sunny & warm

-2.9 this morning with very light snow falling. Ground frozen rock hard so perfect for settling snow, but I don't think we are in for any!

Good to see some on the South coast have had some snow overnight. Models not looking great but Exeter still positive with the 4am update.

• Like 1

Posted

So I know it doesn’t mean much, but all snow icons have disappeared from my iPhone weather app for the week ahead.

One of the most pointless, disappointing weather events I have ever experienced for this region. 

Roll on spring and summer where there will be no storms either.

• Like 2

Posted

Last one from me for a while, as I don't want to come across as too depressing or unenthusiastic.  This morning's Ens are very much in agreement with all other global modelling for the weekend and into next week.  These are for Bristol;

IMG_20210209_073912.thumb.jpg.3b2e3d0f22aa3076085fce28d888f59e.jpg

Red circle - colder air, very little PPN on offer though.

Black circle - much milder air favoured, along with a much increased signal for PPN (rain).

Enjoy the colder air over the next few days, something more average over the weekend for all of us is favoured going forward now.  I'll keep an eye on things still in the hope we can find a miracle snowfall from somewhere before all this happens.

• Like 2

Posted

Nice to see some areas near me getting snow! None where I work currently, but MO shows a few hours of snow this morning, so who knows?

Still holding out hope for Thursday/Friday. 

Lovely dry, cold morning so far though!

-2 at home, but no frost whatsoever

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.
15 minutes ago, AWD said:

Last one from me for a while, as I don't want to come across as too depressing or unenthusiastic.  This morning's Ens are very much in agreement with all other global modelling for the weekend and into next week.  These are for Bristol;

Black circle - much milder air favoured, along with a much increased signal for PPN (rain).

Enjoy the colder air over the next few days, something more average over the weekend for all of us is favoured going forward now.  I'll keep an eye on things still in the hope we can find a miracle snowfall from somewhere before all this happens.

I give up. It all looked so promising 

• Like 5

Posted

Nice to have the light dusting, but all the fantasy cold charts have now gone, just a steady warm up now. For me I cant wait for some spring warmth and sunshine, really struggled this winter with the gloomy days, I need some positivity back in life and nice days out walking with a nice beer in a pub garden after. Really hope we get some lovely hot weather this year so I can get out on the boat and get some much needed sun top ups followed by a massive electric storm. 

Edited by The Moving Planet
  • Like 3

Posted
29 minutes ago, festivalking said:

Definite activity south Devon particularly south hams. Looking good for some snow flurries this morning

Yep! Subtle change in wind direction overnight and showers are forming nicely over the open water and heading in this direction.

Only a very, very light dusting on some surfaces here in Kingsbridge, would need to pep up significantly in order to have any impact. But it counts as snow!

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, AWD said:

Just a hunch but I think it will flip again by tonight. I expect early weather warnings to go out for our region later for Thursday/Friday potentially for 10cm plus. It will be interesting to see what Ian F’s take on things are on Twitter today and his Points West broadcast tonight. As I say just a hunch.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.
1 minute ago, Richard Fisher said:

Just a hunch but I think it will flip again by tonight. I expect early weather warnings to go out for our region later for Thursday/Friday potentially for 10cm plus. It will be interesting to see what Ian F’s take on things are on Twitter today and his Points West broadcast tonight. As I say just a hunch.

I hope your right Richard. Ian’s latest tweet said not to rule out the cold being protracted.. but the chart he posted looked like it was trending mild. So he’s obviously seeing more than he can post. I just am losing positivity because any snow is pushed back all the time

• Like 5

Posted
13 minutes ago, Richard Fisher said:

We can but hope mate. 

My confidence for some notable snowfall for my area has gone from low confidence to very low confidence to now at critically, stupidly low confidence.

Posted
12 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Surely by now, the BCP Council MUST have their snowplough out with this much snow around?

20210209_080205.jpg

With the way things are going IMBY, I would bank that right now. 

• Like 2