Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 08 Feb 2021 Onward

Mapantz

Posted

Dont look that good now does it,not for my neck of woods anyway though a few may see something in our region. Would be nice if we could all get in on the act but sadly that hope is diminishing.. on a brighter note I did see what I can only describe as a few snow flakes in the breeze so I've got my shovel out just in case 

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I see daytime temps have increased for Wednesday now. By no means warm, but nothing like zero that was being forecast.

No ice days here this week.

The wind has dropped right off too.

Does that mean no snow for southwest Friday? if temps have increased. all rain? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
Just now, CentralSouthernSnow said:

I was just mentioning how Wednesday wasn't looking as cold as it was a few days ago.

re Friday, I cannot speak for other areas, but I know from experience that the wind switching to ESE isn't a good sign down near the coast. If it was switching from ESE to E, it would be a different story. Beyond that, probably close to double figure temps here by Monday.

Posted
3 minutes ago, CentralSouthernSnow said:

Yeah it was well voiced to be 3 or 4 ice days when in reality where i am its none... today it was 0.4c max..tomoz 1c wed 3 thurs 3 etc 

Posted
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

I was just mentioning how Wednesday wasn't looking as cold as it was a few days ago.

re Friday, I cannot speak for other areas, but I know from experience that the wind switching to ESE isn't a good sign down near the coast. If it was switching from ESE to E, it would be a different story. Beyond that, probably close to double figure temps here by Monday.

Yep agree ese can be snow on immediate coast but its very marginal. Ths majority of the time its rain which isnt great for me! 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Indeed 

It starts warming up here from Wednesday by Saturday maximum temperature is 10c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in the winter, warm and dry in the summer !

A little bit of a disappointing day today after some avid radar watching 

Still a few potential opportunities over the next few days across our region to at least see some snow falling on the Arpege 12z:

A few streamers reaching the east of our region during the day tomorrow.

A coastal streamer setting up along the south coast tomorrow afternoon/evening.

A feature moving north from the south coast on Thursday.

Fd7ulKEoQL.thumb.gif.aff0e636e03730670cf8290a6fde9da0.gif

Edited by wiltshire weather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Very light snow here again now. Nothing special at all but it's been nice to finally see falling snow this winter.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow

I'll probably give it until Wednesday evening before writing off the Thurs / Fri snow potential. We're still within that timeframe where it can easily flip back again. This MetO vid was only posted a few hours ago and it's clear there's still lots of uncertainty:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Forecast here for tomorrow obviously computing a channel streamer

Screenshot_20210208-205835_Met Office.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in the winter, warm and dry in the summer !
15 minutes ago, MidnightSnow said:

I'll probably give it until Wednesday evening before writing off the Thurs / Fri snow potential. We're still within that timeframe where it can easily flip back again. This MetO vid was only posted a few hours ago and it's clear there's still lots of uncertainty:

Thanks for posting that.

Obviously the positioning of showers should not be taken literally but I did see he showed a batch making their way across to us during the day tomorrow. Also the feature on Thursday was there as well although I didn't see the channel streamer on there for later tomorrow.

Definitely worth keeping an eye on the radar  

• Like 1

Posted

The uncertainty is perfectly illustrated in this graphic:

101F2F5C-A024-4EF6-AC75-6CCD0A64298C.png

That shows a significant snow event right down the spine of the UK next Saturday, but it really is too far out to say that with any certainty. It really is on a knife edge.

This chart shows that it's making a really good go at getting in, which brings a greater chance of snowfall for more...but also introduces the risk of milder air making more inroads. It is a really, really delicate balancing act. I really can't call it to be honest, could go 1 of 3 ways.

- Front stalls west, no further than Devon - far SW could get a decent snow event from that. Rest of us stay in cold air, but remain bone dry.

- Front makes more inroads east, snow for more along the central southern area - and further north - but introducing milder air for those further south and west - comes with that risk.

- Front blasts through very quickly, and gives a quick transitionary snow event for most before rain is the name of the game for all.

My money is on the first outcome.

• Like 2

Posted

My phone app is showing quite a jump in temperatures for the weekend, up to 7 and 8 degrees with rain.  I guess we need to ‘enjoy’ this wintry spell whilst we still have it

Posted
20 minutes ago, festivalking said:

Forecast here for tomorrow obviously computing a channel streamer

Screenshot_20210208-205835_Met Office.jpg

Wow! I've only got cloud and no snow all day tomorrow on my side of the Moor. Good luck!

Posted
1 minute ago, gman88667733 said:

Wow! I've only got cloud and no snow all day tomorrow on my side of the Moor. Good luck!

I've only got cloud and no snow too. Radar watching tomorrow me thinks! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow
4 minutes ago, SouthernSnowFan said:

It is a really, really delicate balancing act. I really can't call it to be honest, could go 1 of 3 ways.

- Front stalls west, no further than Devon - far SW could get a decent snow event from that. Rest of us stay in cold air, but remain bone dry.

- Front makes more inroads east, snow for more along the central southern area - and further north - but introducing milder air for those further south and west - comes with that risk.

- Front blasts through very quickly, and gives a quick transitionary snow event for most before rain is the name of the game for all.

Yeah I think you're right. First option is looking like the form horse right now.

Dreaming of some middleground scenario where it stalls just a little further inland. 

Posted
12 minutes ago, SouthernSnowFan said:

The uncertainty is perfectly illustrated in this graphic:

101F2F5C-A024-4EF6-AC75-6CCD0A64298C.png

That shows a significant snow event right down the spine of the UK next Saturday, but it really is too far out to say that with any certainty. It really is on a knife edge.

This chart shows that it's making a really good go at getting in, which brings a greater chance of snowfall for more...but also introduces the risk of milder air making more inroads. It is a really, really delicate balancing act. I really can't call it to be honest, could go 1 of 3 ways.

The first outcome? Good luck with 10c temperatures

Posted
2 minutes ago, AWD said:

Didn't think I'd be back on tonight but the 18z ICON brought me back.  To model goes down a different route and reinvigorates Thursdays night front over Devon into Friday, providing some notable snowfall for many parts of the West Country;

iconeu_uk1-42-84-0.thumb.png.05d0edf9559d305dbb578596d21d538d.png

iconeu_uk1-42-87-0.thumb.png.66ff8b1dd164560b88633997489d8213.png

iconeu_uk1-42-90-0.thumb.png.5101f629d04580cf4954fa94f3b837d9.png

Worth bearing in mind, it's very much the outside scenario at present, not much (if any) support for this on Friday, but hey, we need all the straws we can get at the moment.

Can we all bank this.

• Like 6