Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!

Would like to see a bit more of that moderate stuff that fell for an hour or two last night. Expectation levels are low, as I guess most of the decent stuff will be running across to my south today, but you never know eh? 

This fine light stuff starting to get on my nerves a bit

Posted

Just woken up, looks like a cm has fallen overnight but falling lightly now. I’m under the northern part of  that light streamer. Looks like it should be continuing

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Surrey said:

There will be some kind of reasoning behind it.. I guess we will find out over the coming days... 

Hats of to the NMM on this mornings streamer.. Closest model I can find showing it 

1262856094_WRF-NMM1.thumb.png.28a43d9c9eacaa9001c3d1b8993120c2.png

Arpege nailed it as well 

overview_20210208_00_024.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

Woken up to heavy snow falling, and a rough estimate 4 cm fallen overnight.

Looks like the streamer will continue for some time 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Looks like Medway hit the absolute jackpot underneath the moderate band almost all night. A good 7-8cm here now. If only convection had been able to initiate deeper, would have been an incredible event.

Edited by Met4Cast

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Morning. Had a top up overnight, looks like a few cms, but haven't measured. But my car windscreens which were cleared yesterday have a good covering and can no longer see the blades of grass on one side of the back lawn that was exposed by the wind last few days.

Looks like the streamer is intensifying on the radar and will probably linger for a good few hours this morning if not into the afternoon too.

• Like 3

Posted
8 hours ago, Met4Cast said:

Looking at the GFS soundings I don't think we're going to get any "deep" convection initiating, The cold layer is rather shallow so cloud top heights likely to be fairly limited, so certainly no 2009/2010 streamer despite the lower level of cold. 

Having said that, I think we will see some moderate spells of snowfall embedded within a streamer which could still produce reasonable totals if it sticks over the same areas. 

gfs_2021020818_006_51.75-1.5.thumb.png.33577587aee80782be045e70953c04d3.png

A few people commenting and asking why this hasn't been the 'special even't it could have been given the 850hPa temperatures, the above is why.

Convection is only shallow, rather than the deeper convection we saw in the 2009/2010 and even 2018 events. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!
7 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

I expect it’s also to do with the flow strength.

i read a post last night saying that the parameters are almost identical to the Feb 09 event, yet the outcome is nothing like that.

Just trying to increase my understanding, because on paper this should have been so much better.

Yeah, I agree. Despite it being way better than nothing, when I look out of the window this morning, it's hard to believe we're on day 3 of a decent event on paper. And sounds like I've done OK in comparison to many areas!

I think ground temps have had a part to play in throttling the accumulations, but even then the heavier snow just never really got going did it? 

One thing i suppose is the sheer amount of time I've seen falling snow though. That's been impressive in it's own way. 

Posted

Light snow 20p flakes. Temp -2.7C DP -3.7C. Wind NE 10mph gust 17mph. 11cm level snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather
5 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

A few people commenting and asking why this hasn't been the 'special even't it could have been given the 850hPa temperatures, the above is why.

Convection is only shallow, rather than the deeper convection we saw in the 2009/2010 and even 2018 events. 

I don't understand the reasons why, but had we had the deep cold in place before Darcy, surely the heavy rain we got preceding the event should have meant heavy consistent snowfall?

Posted

About another 1-2 inches overnight here in Leigh-On-Sea... I’m guessing thanks to change in wind direction and a Thames Streamer. Still snowing moderately now. Picture of my road  

C4ADD7CF-70B8-465D-844E-2D5A6E227AA1.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted

If anyone is looking to confirm the Northern extent of the streamer through last night and this morning. It was about 2-3 miles south of my location.

Posted
3 minutes ago, winterfreak said:

I don't understand the reasons why, but had we had the deep cold in place before Darcy, surely the heavy rain we got preceding the event should have meant heavy consistent snowfall?

Largely down to the upper warm front that developed and pushed north yesterday, it helped pep up showers/develop that broader area of snow yesterday evening, but unfortunately scuppered the chances of a decent convective easterly flow, areas further north aren't having this problem.

Air can only rise if the air above is colder than the air below, the upper warm front brought a wedge of slightly warmer mid-level air meaning the depth of cold is shallow & focused in the lower portion of the atmosphere. 

1647301513_Screenshot2021-02-09at07_25_43.thumb.png.2b230fe74d5c2950d2ea9b90f29fb98c.png

Edited by Met4Cast
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
Just now, Met4Cast said:

Largely down to the upper warm front that developed and pushed north yesterday, it helped pep up showers/develop that broader area of snow yesterday evening, but unfortunately scuppered the chances of a decent convective easterly flow, areas further north aren't having this problem.

1647301513_Screenshot2021-02-09at07_25_43.thumb.png.2b230fe74d5c2950d2ea9b90f29fb98c.png

I wish I could properly understand all that but thank you for the explanation. Bad luck I guess

Posted
1 minute ago, winterfreak said:

Sorry winter freak I have to temper this comment of deep cold. It was cold yes deep cold I would cotton the phrase. The deep cold never truly arrived in the truest of sense. We didn't have sub zero ice days we did in build up to the freak 2010 period. Nor did we have deep cold like 2009. The Feb 2009 streamer had the previous week of sub zero temps and deep deep cold from the continent. 

What has surprised me like the majority on here is the longevity of snow falling 

Posted

about half a centimetre overnight - looks like I will be under very light snow or snizzle for the foreseeable future, so not expecting a great deal more today.

Very light snow falling now. 

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Looks like the last rites are being served on this cold spell in the MOD thread!

Anyway,I continue to top up my dusting here with light snow.

Mustn't grumble as some folk have nothing..

20210209_072014.jpg

Posted
1 minute ago, Jimmyh said:

Sorry winter freak I have to temper this comment of deep cold. It was cold yes deep cold I would cotton the phrase. The deep cold never truly arrived in the truest of sense. We didn't have sub zero ice days we did in build up to the freak 2010 period. Nor did we have deep cold like 2009. The Feb 2009 streamer had the previous week of sub zero temps and deep deep cold from the continent. 

What has surprised me like the majority on here is the longevity of snow falling 

Yeah it is surprising. Better than nowt though. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Very light snow here, which seems to be settling fine on all surfaces. Pic from the walk home from work last night. 

151F1166-1234-414E-9344-20B02E92337E.jpeg

Edited by lawrenk
Typo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters

This is indeed a very strange snow event, not sure I can remember anything quite like it in terms of longevity of incredibly light snow. It's a bit like lockdown, I guess - it goes on, and on, and on, but nothing seems to change much...... but at least this morning we do have all surfaces covered and it's looking properly wintry out there. And still snowing! - didn't expect that.

• Like 6