Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
7 minutes ago, dubmuffin said:

Very little snow showing on the met office app now, it has been accurate all the way through this for me so far, as long as you only look a few of hours ahead. Every time I look it, has light snow "now" and on 10% chance in the following hours equating in my book to "it might snizzle". The persistent snow showing earlier from 6pm to 10pm ish and most of the night (60%), which made me think streamer, has disappeared and the look of the latest radar and wind makes me think we night miss out in the part of South London. Obviously I believe that the met office personalises the app updates for my exact location I really hope I am wrong.

Ignore the apps and look at the radar. Big clump of snow moving into Suffolk/S Norfolk, growing and moving SW towards London and home counties. Building on the southern edge of it too which should move into Kent. 

Edited by danm
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Met Office has Brighton down for another 20 mins of snow.  I call bull going by the radar.  It's no raging beasterly but pretty and consistent and laying somewhat

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days
24 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Nice, although may be to far to look yet. But if it is still cold then, the ground will not melt the snow.

How have you done for snow Alexis?

Can’t be often that Dover is in an Amber zone for snow.Has it materialised?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
3 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

Everything is frozen solid here though...

Yes, I was in east Grinstead this morning and noted that this had not occurred in the same manner, so elevation, being further away from the sponge effect of the water table and local geology appears also to play a part.  Lol, be grateful.

Edited by chionomaniac

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
8 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

Is it even snowing in your area?

lol not at the moment but a cold pavement is a start lol

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Its stopped snowing here, boo, even though it was very light, it's been great, watching it fall, living on your own, and with no work during lockdown, it gets a bit, meh, at times, probably got 1.5cm, and a few little icicles by the french doors, which have been great watching them grow, biggest 1 is around 3 inches lol. Really hoping to get under a streamer tonight, but my location is a bit iffy for that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, steveinsussex said:

There's also the variable of soil type, elevation, etc.   Chalky/sandy soils will lose their heat more quickly than clay, for example, and higher areas will be colder and may have drained more beforehand anyway.  The retention of ground heat can be affected by many different factors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, sun and snow.
4 minutes ago, Timmytour said:

This is all proving disappointing to see how, in reality, what were narnia type ten day FI charts.  actually materialise!

I watched the Spurs v West Brom yesterday expecting to see significant snow already lying on the ground  Instead the type of snow that occurred during the game, heavyish at times without ever really settling is all we have had here at best.

Incidentally I hear Mourinho had to shelve plans to drop Hugo  Lloris for the game when Joe Hart complained he couldn't possibly go out on pitch and risk being seen with all those flakes in his hair.......  

Don't Premier league stadiums have heated pitches though?

2 minutes ago, Ian Docwra said:

Indeed - as I said on Saturday.  The message, it seems, takes time to get through the barrage of optimism that everything would instantly freeze solid!

If anyone wants a good hint for where to find the best settling snow, get a trampoline. Our one has twice as much snow as any other surface and it's high Alpine type powder. It is almost impossible to make a snowball with it. Which of course makes it useless for anything practical. Nice to throw in the air though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
2 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

The snow melt is 100% ground temps. I have just watched the phenomenon in my back garden.  The air temperature just above the ground is -1.2°C. When the snow hits the pavement, or bare soil, it melts very quickly.  However, where the grass and bushes are tall enough to offer a bit of protection from the ground, the snow settles, likewise outdoor window ledges and roofs. It also is sticking on manhole covers, and the outside door mat where bristles keep the snow away from the surface. I have a small paved area with steps, that I have noticed have air bricks underneath them. The snow has melted right up to the steps but stuck on the air brick borne steps - so the air bricks are providing a cold insulating barrier away from the ground to let this occur.

It’s no surprise really, with weeks of heavy rain, a warmer and saturated water table, and no significant harsh frosts prior to the snow, it didn’t stand a chance in these areas.

Same thing here yesterday for a while.. The snow was settling on top of the the grass leaves, other vegetation and surfaces off the ground until the evening when the grounds temps got low enough for it to settle. 

So maybe wait a little bit longer of freezing temps for those with warmer grounds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW! And a good thunderstorm

Snow heavier in Reading now, hasn't taken too long to settle, grass starting to turn a lighter shade of green as it comes down. An hour or so of this could give a small covering 

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

The snow melt is 100% ground temps. I have just watched the phenomenon in my back garden.  The air temperature just above the ground is -1.2°C. When the snow hits the pavement, or bare soil, it melts very quickly.  However, where the grass and bushes are tall enough to offer a bit of protection from the ground, the snow settles, likewise outdoor window ledges and roofs. It also is sticking on manhole covers, and the outside door mat where bristles keep the snow away from the surface. I have a small paved area with steps, that I have noticed have air bricks underneath them. The snow has melted right up to the steps but stuck on the air brick borne steps - so the air bricks are providing a cold insulating barrier away from the ground to let this occur.

It’s no surprise really, with weeks of heavy rain, a warmer and saturated water table, and no significant harsh frosts prior to the snow, it didn’t stand a chance in these areas.

Whats interesting is here the snow is not really melting at all on the grass at least, and we have the lightest of dustings which melted in about 2hrs on the road.

I'm wondering whether the snow event I had 2 weeks ago which had snow on the ground for 2 solid days has helped to cool the ground down enough despite the milder temperatures before hand that once the snow and cold arrived again here the ground is just about the right side of things.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, WheresTheSnow said:

Could this band of PPN intensify as it moves toward the London area?

Had a pretty decent spell of snow here for the past 2 hours.

46961B9B-E92C-4C61-9542-73D6D7B40383.jpeg

That's what I have my eye on. Waiting for it to disintegrate but seems to holding for now.. If it did make it i wouldn't expect more than a dusting / cm or two (if lucky). Better than nothing i suppose!

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

Yes, I was in east Grinstead this morning and noted that this had not occurred in the same manner, so elevation, being further away from the sponge effect of the water table and local geology appears also to play a part.  Lol, be grateful.

lol yup just a little higher here in EG

Roads are rather awful out there

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
4 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

lol not at the moment but a cold pavement is a start lol

It would help 

How have you managed to miss all the snow.. you sure you live in London?

Posted

Just seen some echoes off the Belgian/Dutch border coastline - which look like could be bound for the East Kent coast later this evening.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
9 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

And here, apart from main roads. All salted now. Not my road or the hills up to it though lol. Just been Aldi.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

Whats interesting is here the snow is not really melting at all on the grass at least, and we have the lightest of dustings which melted in about 2hrs on the road.

I'm wondering whether the snow event I had 2 weeks ago which had snow on the ground for 2 solid days has helped to cool the ground down enough despite the milder temperatures before hand that once the snow and cold arrived again here the ground is just about the right side of things.

I doubt it Kold.  Grass is better at holding a colder layer between the snow and the ground - reversed insulation if you like. I have an area in my garden with small tufts of grass in between soil. And the snow stuck to the top of these, but not the ground surrounding them.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!

The precip coming from the North Sea and EA is looking very good. Really hoping it starts to pile through SE London soon.

Any reports from Ipswich area on intensity?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
9 minutes ago, lawrenk said:

How have you done for snow Alexis?

Can’t be often that Dover is in an Amber zone for snow.Has it materialised?

Yep, but only around 4.8cm on ground hard surfaces, which is where I measure. It's higher on grass.

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Mark said:

The precip coming from the North Sea and EA is looking very good. Really hoping it starts to pile through SE London soon.

Any reports from Ipswich area on intensity?

Will keep you posted when I comes through