Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Well yesterday exceeded expectations on the storm front. The risk of storms lower today and not as widespread. Here's the forecast from Convective Weather:

1826387907_ConvectiveoutlookWed21July.thumb.jpg.ec95516b906f403400404b82ce1c9ad1.jpg

The main areas where deep convection is most likely to occur will be along both convergence zones (enhanced by sea breeze) and upslope flow over hills/mountains. Therefore, particular attention for isolated heavy showers / thunderstorms is given to portions of East Anglia / SE England, Cumbria / the northern Pennines / Southern Uplands, and Ulster / Connacht.

Full forecast: http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2021-07-21

A look at the Arpege wind forecast for this afternoon confirms there's expected to be a couple of lines of convergence (circled in red) which identify the locations with the best chance of convection reaching sufficient height for a storm to develop.

Wind forecast 15.00: 1262626061_ArpegewindWed21July15_00.thumb.png.a6b71c269c7fea4c5fd80d9908381429.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Some early mist/low cloud this morning, but that was all gone by 8ish. Mostly sunny since with a gentle easterly breeze. A few clouds trying to develop now.

Heading to work - currently 27C.

Edited by Captain Shortwave

Posted

Awful humidity today, no breeze here at all and more cloud than the last few days, finding breathing more difficult than the last few days of the hot spell and I dont suffer with any breathing issues in normal weather just something about heat and humidity makes it feel like theres no oxygen.

Posted
1 hour ago, Bogman said:

Weather warnings out for the whole of the weekend for heavy rain. 

Yes I saw that and no wonder Germany has problems and other countries you've only to see how crazy our weather has been since year start!! The charts look unsettled again folks rain and temperatures more akinned to what we are used to on the way after this heatwave!! 

Posted

no extreme temps here but as bb said it did feel very humid earlier on, bit of a breeze is making things feel fresher and getting nice through draft from open windows and doors. Well dont think this would be a good weekend to go camping unless its on a boat 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Certainly can't say the weather is boring atm. Although at this stage GFS not making much of the rainfall expected on Saturday and Sunday, with less than an inch for most, which falls mainly on Sunday. But one to watch as it is likely to be thundery rain so certain locations could quickly see totals build.

MetO warning: 1968073800_MetOffWarningfor24and25July.thumb.jpg.cd5d6e41be981112c1a992fc1af22e70.jpg

GFS rainfall accum, now thru to midnight Sunday: 405184345_GFSrainfallaccumSat24Sun25July.thumb.GIF.ca45b7b057d7e6d99d0a7e8c3ffd3160.GIF

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Looking like a bust for showers today, just fair weather cloud. Another very warm day with 28c reached. 
Tomorrow and Friday look dry too, so eyes onto the weekend and how that cold front affects our part of the world.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
4 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Looking like a bust for showers today, just fair weather cloud. Another very warm day with 28c reached. 
Tomorrow and Friday look dry too, so eyes onto the weekend and how that cold front affects our part of the world.

Sweltering down at the south of London with tall towers of cumulus going up. Not ruling anything out over the next few hours

Posted
1 hour ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Sweltering down at the south of London with tall towers of cumulus going up. Not ruling anything out over the next few hours

I probably should have been more specific with location as there has been limited threat regarding convection up here. In fact as the easterly breeze has increased the cloud has melted away to leave a sunny evening.

Tomorrow looks like another hot one, but the precise position of the high will dictate how much modification off the North Sea we will have. 
Arpege 12z suggests not much

image.thumb.png.a179dc0564f2c28fbc89efc48ead7e5e.png

30/31c in western areas, note of caution is some runs have temperatures around the 26/27c inland and obviously cooler closer to the coasts.

Posted

a large cumulo-nimbus to the south of us, probably near redhill, and a rumble of thunder. clear here and humid

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Got to 29 again here in Locksbottom with humidity in mid 60s!!still 24.6 as at 8pm.Looks like a localised storm in Crawley area in last 30 mins looking at radar!!

Posted
49 minutes ago, Hotspur62 said:

Got to 29 again here in Locksbottom with humidity in mid 60s!!still 24.6 as at 8pm.Looks like a localised storm in Crawley area in last 30 mins looking at radar!!

yea i see that from over maidstone way..plus my daughter a couple of weeks ago got funnel cloud ,over isle of grain ..

IMG_20210721_200308.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Morning all,

Misty old morning here in mid-Norfolk, great for dog walking though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

As expected and not surprising the same old yearly story an awful next week for the start of the school holidays , It’s look absolutely awful for the first half of August infact  the way the charts are looking this morning probably one of the worst I have seen in many years for August  of course this could change but as it stands I think we need to make the most of the next 2 days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

Perhaps Captain Shortwave or someone equally knowledgeable could give an indication as to what the weather will be like on Saturday afternoon in Mid Essex. We have friends visiting and I have planned a BBQ. My phone App says 76% rain on Saturday but does not say what time rain is expected.

My wife is not best pleased with me for choosing this weekend with uncertain weather, so any glimmer of hope would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Dave

Posted
2 hours ago, claret047 said:

Perhaps Captain Shortwave or someone equally knowledgeable could give an indication as to what the weather will be like on Saturday afternoon in Mid Essex. We have friends visiting and I have planned a BBQ. My phone App says 76% rain on Saturday but does not say what time rain is expected.

My wife is not best pleased with me for choosing this weekend with uncertain weather, so any glimmer of hope would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Dave

Difficult to say except your area will be on the frontal boundary for most of the day, and subsequently will be at high risk of showers or longer spells of rain. Unfortunately the models seem to be struggling with how this actually pans out at the moment with anything from close to nothing to a few inches of rain over the weekend.

As for today, clear skies so far and now just a gentle south easterly breeze. 26c at midday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!
1 hour ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Difficult to say except your area will be on the frontal boundary for most of the day, and subsequently will be at high risk of showers or longer spells of rain. Unfortunately the models seem to be struggling with how this actually pans out at the moment with anything from close to nothing to a few inches of rain over the weekend.

As for today, clear skies so far and now just a gentle south easterly breeze. 26c at midday.

Many thanks.

There is still hope then that I may not have to sleep in the shed on Saturday night.

Kind Regards

Dave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

A much more comfortable 25 degrees here today in Hailsham. The “sweet spot” for me temperature wise. Warm enough to enjoy but not too much so that any activity becomes uncomfortable, including sleeping! I’d take this temperature as a constant between June and August without hesitation.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter snow.

Noticeably less humid today but still very warm and sunny in Surbiton and a nice breeze so much more comfortable

• Like 2

Posted

Lovely day with just a little fair weather cloud. A high of 28c today.

A bit of uncertainty regarding how warm tomorrow will be, the afternoon models are tending to reduce the amount of low cloud that will roll in tonight (Arpege suggests none at all), however there might also be high cloud moving northwards, not to mention a strengthening easterly wind. However if the sun stays out then we could see another very warm day.

image.thumb.png.bcc143770727a13d99562dcba553c8d9.png

These might be optimistic…..

Posted

Is it just me who doesn't consider this week to have been a heatwave? I noticed local BBC news describing it as a "mini" heatwave which is more accurate.

Much of the SE & E Anglia didn't hit 30C - and stations which did hit it only just scraped it. The temperatures for the rest of the week didn't exceed 27-29C.

I appreciate it's been more of a heatwave in the west of the UK though, where temperatures reaching 30C is obviously rarer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Another murky old Norfolk morning, could be pretty chilly today compared to the last few days...

Posted
8 hours ago, h2005__uk__ said:

Is it just me who doesn't consider this week to have been a heatwave? I noticed local BBC news describing it as a "mini" heatwave which is more accurate.

Much of the SE & E Anglia didn't hit 30C - and stations which did hit it only just scraped it. The temperatures for the rest of the week didn't exceed 27-29C.

I appreciate it's been more of a heatwave in the west of the UK though, where temperatures reaching 30C is obviously rarer.

I guess it depends on how you want to rate it. Here we have recorded a maximum of 28c for six days in a row. The pattern was never set up to being exceptional weather for this part of the world (Though Heathrow still managed to nail the hottest temperature so far this year).

A decent spell for many, good sunny spells and some pretty nasty storms on Tuesday that were surface based. Not to mention the chance of thunderstorms over this weekend.

Today is a lot cloudier, a mix of low level stuff and mid/high cloud so I suspect we will be struggling to reach the highs of recently.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Been awake since early this morning, most boring few hours I've ever had, did watch the sunrise, hardly ever up in time to watch it rise in Summer.