Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
53 minutes ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

Probably because we're expecting the inevitable crushing disappointment? 

I for one will not be prepping my camera and camcorder and organising tripods and whatnot, because every time I do, nothing happens - I much prefer the last minute mad dash out of the front door at midnight....

Ha ha this is true, it’s snow watching for the summer months!

The MO says it should be 15c now and it’s already 20.1c, I think I might get a 27c today right on the SE coast.

Anyone think they’ll get higher today?

Posted

I love a good storm, but it's the sweltering hours in the flat beforehand I don't much like!  Or the groggy feeling the next day because you've been awake half the night! So I'm going to go to bed really early and be up for some watching after midnight. There is a footpath on a hill a five minute drive from here where you can see for miles, from High Wycombe to at least the Bagshot Heath radio mast in Surrey - a mass expanse of sky - but there's no shelter at all. Wonder if I'll be ok lying on the ground in a sleeping bag?!!

Edited by Team Squirrel
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

I'm not going to get hyped for the storms as everytime a storm event pops up, it has always been a disappointment for the past couple of years so only when i see it, then i'll get a bit hyped up

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, lottiekent said:

The MO says it should be 15c now and it’s already 20.1c, I think I might get a 27c today right on the SE coast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

It was a beautiful walk to school today, clear, light but not too cool breeze, comfortably warm. If only it lasts for the day!  However it has proven an excellent drying day so washing everything in sight.

Always love this time of year, watching the storm forecasts, so the next few days will be heaven. 

Feeling much better from my jab now and treated myself to a few things and the small hope of hearing some thunder at some point.  

• Like 4

Posted

25c here before lunchtime and its just going to keep getting hotter, reckon a 29c could be reached and the humidity rising as the warm air comes up from the south. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
4 hours ago, lottiekent said:

I must remember my head torch this time, trying to manhandle tripod etc whilst using torch on phone was a flipping nightmare!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, lightning and erm thunder

Hoping we get something tonight it’s only 22 here feels like 27 meant to get to 25 (don’t want to know what that’s going to feel like) humidity 61, dew point 15, sky is clear and it’s real melting weather 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

The next few days are looking very interesting for those of us who enjoy action-packed weather, with many places in the Region in with a chance of experiencing hail, torrential rain, thunder & lightning and even severe gusty winds in any downdraughts during a storm. The favoured areas are illustrated by this chart issued today (valid Weds) by Convective Weather:

1118334662_ConvectiveoutlookWed16Jun.thumb.jpg.16705549cfdf4dc4523145813b3a3d04.jpg

Source: http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2021-06-16

But with 3 distinct 'swipes' at the Region by different areas of thundery rain moving up from France, most should experience at least something of interest, even if only a spell of heavy rain. The sequence from the Euro4 high res model shows the 3 pulses - late this Weds evening into the early hours of Thurs, then again later Thurs morning, then again Friday morning. I'm looking forward to viewing the 12z runs for any last minute tweeks.

Euro4 from 17.00 Weds to 14.00 Friday: animuhm9.gif

Edited by Blessed Weather
typo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Posted

It's incredibly hot when the sun is out. We've had a cloud covering of around 50-60% of the sky since lunchtime with a light breeze but the skies are clearing now. The hot sun has pushed up the temps helped by clear blue skies this morning. 

So hope we are all in the mix for storms later⚡?️

IMG_20210616_152254.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

A fine and very warm day here, some cloud just starting to bubble up. Currently 27c.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

28.7°C

24-hr difference = 10.2°C ⬆️

Dew point = 16.9°C

Humidity = 49%

1010.1 hPa 0.47 hPa ⬇️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

Currently 25.5c DP 17.2c  and not a cloud in the sky here in St Leonards on Sea.  Unusually for me I've got a thumping headache, possibly a coincidence, I don't know ?

We certainly seem to be in a prime location should it all kick off later this evening.  I think I might have an afternoon nap so I can do an all nighter.

• Like 3

Hi Peeps

Hey how is everyone? Hope you and your families are all well. I have not posted for a long time in fact the last time was when we had the icy cold weather. Anyway I am back and chasing my night time storms now and it is looking very interesting for tonight. I have been watching the latest radar and those storms are now brewing up across the channel, but I definitely want them to hold up until it gets dark. 

Will be keeping a close eye on how things develop in the next couple of hours. Anyway peeps going to make this short and sweet but all you look after yourselves and enjoy the fireworks tonight fingers crossed.

take care for now

stay safe 

regards

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Altocumulus is starting to appear from the south! :D

Posted

Clouds nearly cleared in the last hour so plenty of sunshine. Local weather station shows temperature 28.1C, dew point 17c and humidity 50%, wind w/wsw. Fingers crossed!

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 1

Posted

That embarrassing moment when you realise your Extra subscription has run out and you go into a mild panic.....

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, mishy said:

If it's anything like July 2015 then we are in for a treat!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/lightning-storms-hit-uk-spectacular-display-lights-night-sky-10365785.html

Crazy storm. At least three hours of constant thunder and lightning with ridiculous rain.

That was the last time we had anything remotely spectacular (I reserve the term "epic" for something I experience in Europe!) I was out from midnight til 4.30am and it was my first proper attempt at getting some lightning shots, only a complete dimwit would have failed that night!

FourTwentyNine1.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, lightning and erm thunder
1 hour ago, SenlacJack said:

Currently 25.5c DP 17.2c  and not a cloud in the sky here in St Leonards on Sea.  Unusually for me I've got a thumping headache, possibly a coincidence, I don't know ?

We certainly seem to be in a prime location should it all kick off later this evening.  I think I might have an afternoon nap so I can do an all nighter.

That’s the plan here too! Though we have cloud now in bexhill

• Like 2