Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
1 hour ago, lassie23 said:

Anyone's vegetables started growing yet?

My spinach has it's first true leaves today and my strawberry patch has it's first flower - everything else is just sat in the polytunnel  in pots either struggling to germinate or grow as the nights have been cold and the days chageable. It's even difficult to harden off as it's been far too windy to leave anything out.

Finding growing stuff really difficult this year, mostly because of the weather. Living in a tiny flat a few miles from my allotment isn't helping. So far this year, I lost a tray of seedlings by knocking them off chair when hoovering up, a  window cleaner kindly misted all my chilli seedlings with Windowlene when I lets them for an hour on a communal stairwell and lost two courgettes when I tripped up on the stairs taking them from flat to polytunnel!

Not enjoying it this year, have considered giving up to be honest. Hope you're having more luck?

Edited by Team Squirrel
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
17 minutes ago, Team Squirrel said:

My spinach has it's first true leaves today and my strawberry patch has it's first flower - everything else is just sat in the polytunnel  in pots either struggling to germinate or grow as the nights have been cold and the days chageable. It's even difficult to harden off as it's been far too windy to leave anything out.

Finding growing stuff really difficult this year, mostly because of the weather. Living in a tiny flat a few miles from my allotment isn't helping. So far this year, I lost a tray of seedlings by knocking them off chair when hoovering up, a  window cleaner kindly misted all my chilli seedlings with Windowlene when I lets them for an hour on a communal stairwell and lost two courgettes when I tripped up on the stairs taking them from flat to polytunnel!

Not enjoying it this year, have considered giving up to be honest. Hope you're having more luck?

The only things that have started are spinach and carrots, it has been too cold hasn't it, especially at night.

• Like 2

Posted

Well lassie23 and other annoyed gardeners seems most of us are having probs growing veg etc apart from weeds, spoke to young local man who has an allotment he said a lot of the growers have lost a lot of plants so its being a difficult growing year and mother nature has been having a good lie in her bed this year. Lets hope she has woken up properly at last.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, suffolk lady said:

Well lassie23 and other annoyed gardeners seems most of us are having probs growing veg etc apart from weeds, spoke to young local man who has an allotment he said a lot of the growers have lost a lot of plants so its being a difficult growing year and mother nature has been having a good lie in her bed this year. Lets hope she has woken up properly at last.

I have a bumper crop of weeds already

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, suffolk lady said:

From an entire day of weeding the herb garden, I can honestly say that speedwell, shepherd's purse, fat hen, groundsel, chickweed, thistles, nettles, couch grass, you name it, are all doing well. In fact, they are all doing very well!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
2 hours ago, lassie23 said:

Anyone's vegetables started growing yet?

Been picking asparagus this week, we've had salad leaves in the conservatory for a couple of months. Cucumber plants and tomatoes are doing well, peppers and chillies are a bit slow.

Posted

We have loads of weeds but our window sills indoors are inundated with individual [dont laugh] smoothie glasses full of baby chilli pepper and tom plants about 50 at least,  still it saves having to do the dusting

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, suffolk lady said:

Ps a lot of weeds are herbal and have healing uses.

As I understand it, shepherd's purse is something of a delicacy, in South Korea? I've actually partaken of sorrel soup, myself -- it tasted like weeds!

• Like 3

Posted
54 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

As I understand it, shepherd's purse is something of a delicacy, in South Korea? I've actually partaken of sorrel soup, myself -- it tasted like weeds!

Maybe nettle beer would be more to your liking then or how about gorse flower wine or elderflower champagne even dandelion roots were used ground up to make coffee or was that chicory beetroot leaves are supposed to be good as well

Edited by suffolk lady
missed words

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

Temperatures have been below average for some time here but there's been no lack of sunshine and blue skies so that's a plus.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, suffolk lady said:

just for lassie 23 sorry its not green, 

lol thanks it will do nicely

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

The hi-res radar rainfall calculations for the UK clearly shows how our Region missed most of the thundery rainfall yesterday. Just a few 'streaks' where a couple of lines of showers developed and moved north. Here imby a very pleasant day with long sunny spells and a max of 17.6C.

423913300_RainfallTotalHiResRadar11May.thumb.png.306d67ef3b395a3ced915c146b547ddb.png

Source: Netweather Extra.

• Like 1

Posted
On 09/05/2021 at 20:29, Delka said:

I’ve just moved to Wellingborough in Northamptonshire which i presume is classed as part of the midlands thread, but i’m closer here to most others in this thread then I was in Norfolk and feel most comfortable browsing and making the odd weather comment here.. do you think i’m close enough to the regional border to get away with still using the south-east thread or do I have to move?

Well you could do a bit of both ,post here ,observe there ,chit chat over in SW ,you know put your enthusiasm about a bit :-) ,I posted southern snow a few years back in Scottish thread ,I got good messages back ,observation and thoughts are good in any region I guess,plus half the time nothing happens here lol

Posted
1 hour ago, Blessed Weather said:

The hi-res radar rainfall calculations for the UK clearly shows how our Region missed most of the thundery rainfall yesterday. Just a few 'streaks' where a couple of lines of showers developed and moved north. Here imby a very pleasant day with long sunny spells and a max of 17.6C.

423913300_RainfallTotalHiResRadar11May.thumb.png.306d67ef3b395a3ced915c146b547ddb.png

Source: Netweather Extra.

If 9th May had been about 100 miles further west, we'd have been happy East Anglian bunnies for the rest of the year!

• Like 1

Posted

I've had to endure many  photographs and descriptions from my family in Yorkshire this morning about how  amazing their storms were last night. "like a bomb" "less then a second between...." Yes ok, thanks...enough.

IS there any change in sight for this changeable weather? Seems like every day in the afternoon, the sun comes out and I look forward to visiting my polytunnel, yet by the time 5pm rolls around, I'm stuck under a huge and unproductive rain cloud! Craving a few pleasant, warm and windless days now. This cool and changeable spring  hasn't helped anyone given the fact we're coming out of lockdown.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Another pleasant day in the gardens. Seems this part of the world missing out on all the thundery downpours to date. Sun feels warm but not too hot for outdoor physical work. Still looking forward to seeing a storm perhaps in the coming days....⚡

• Like 1

Posted

Pleasant day here warm sunny and quite breezy. For those who want the weather to turn settled i am hazarding a bet that next monday when we are allowed to sit inside cafes pubs etc it will become so hot we will fight to find a seating spot outside 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Another lovely sunny day, warm in the sun. How can it get more settled?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
2 minutes ago, Freeze said:

Another lovely sunny day, warm in the sun. How can it get more settled?

Yes it certainly is that although had a light shower go through about half hour ago. Certainly no beefy storms to date and looking at the radar generally not so many showers about across the country today. ..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
1 hour ago, minus10 said:

Yes it certainly is that although had a light shower go through about half hour ago. Certainly no beefy storms to date and looking at the radar generally not so many showers about across the country today. ..

Certainly not compared with yesterday!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

Been loving these past few days, yesterday went on an alpaca walk with an alpaca called Billy and today I went to King's wood and found another area i've not been before and.. getting lost 

14.jpg

15.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

• Like 7

Posted

I have to say that I find the 16 day extra detail forecast quite depressing temperature wise