Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, NewEra21 said:

Did anyone order a beast for the start of March? Yes these charts are still way out in fantasy land, but they still keep regularly showing up for the beginning of March. The chase is still on!!

gfs-0-342 (1).png

gfs-1-342.png

gfs-0-366.png

gfs-1-366.png

Looks like there's a short wave problem already lol 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Evening all,

Just want to quote part of my Post, from this Morning: 

"Past experience tells me, the Weather can be extremely fickle, at this time of Year.

I've seen premature Spring warmth, suddenly be replaced by an Arctic blast and vice versa!!"

And as our own DANIEL alluded to, on the Model Thread a little while ago, the 12z GFS run out in la la land, goes on to show a bitterly Cold/Snowy N.E./E.

Below, shows the Synoptic evolution expected, by the American Model.

WAA over the U.K/N.E. Atlantic, helps pull +heights up towards an Arctic High, that has been lurking close to Spitzbergen/Svarlbard, for a few Days now. These +heights eventually drift down to Northern Scandinavia, and with a Low in the Greenland/Iceland area disrupting South Eastwards, the flow turns towards the N.E., in early March:  

image.thumb.png.b5937c8f56d06da02e56cdd16911d33c.pngimage.thumb.png.b5937c8f56d06da02e56cdd16911d33c.png

image.thumb.png.fd4f7830a7dda825be036398f451a439.pngimage.thumb.png.fa22274ac35955a74108ebf18ad51af1.png 

image.thumb.png.e5e6254c2704f49f72deeaa481458f05.pngimage.thumb.png.c4b033a04168a0e60756a0cf7a284c58.png 

Below, are the bitterly Cold Upper Air (850's) temperatures predicted to flow towards the U.K., from Scandinavia/W.Russia: 

image.thumb.png.0a815768d7e751ab54836fdf15c83a81.pngimage.thumb.png.fb3f86f3bec7a71920717ed17c3dfb5e.png 

Obviously, way out in Fantasy land but certainly interesting, and something to keep an eye on!!

Regards,

Tom.  ❄️

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....

There are so many amazing weather pics being posted, thanks for sharing. I haven't been on for a couple of days and love to catch up with them.

I just caught the tail end of our local South East weather news, dear god, please tell me that we haven't got to go through another 'potential' beast from the east scenario ?? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

The ECM also beginning to sniff something out. Nothing to be taken too seriously just yet, but there are just the signs of a possible cold snap appearing as we enter March!

ECM1-240 (2).gif

Edited by NewEra21
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Was quite pleasant today this afternoon from about 1.30 after a couple hours of moderate rain from about 10am.Tomorrow looks a mainly cloudy day with some light rain probable from about 2-3pm till early evening with temperatures on the mild side at about 11.Weekend and early middle part of next week looking mild and dry and in any sunshine will feel very pleasant and spring like.Sure somewhere in SE will see 15 or 16 degrees which will accelerate the blooming of the bulbs.After that tentative signs of maybe one last cold snap but that is FI for now and we will see what the models are showing next Monday/Tuesday before we can let excitement build for maybe one last hurrah of winter.This last week has probably been the least exciting week of the winter in terms of seeing any decent winter looking charts which has shown what a great winter it has been in terms of Synoptics.Just a shame very few have turned into reality but you can’t have everything!

stay safe

• Like 2

Morning all,

Cold dropped on the GFS 00z.. Good.. Im done with the cold now.  Yesterday in the sun @ 11c felt wicked! The plants at the nursery are waking up and sending new shoots out and leaf buds. 

Cold late on in March like I have touched on before is extremely damaging and costly to the economy. Especially our farmers.  That said, March is the most likely time to have easterly winds and the last 4 years has proven this with at least one spell of cold easterly winds in March .

I wonder if we can make it a 4th year in a row where we breach 34c in Summer that really would be special. 

• Like 1

Posted

The weather has flipped for this weekend, the warmer day looks more likely to be tomorrow now rather than Sunday. Looks like a more boring day today, lots of cloud, chance of light rain at times it seems.

Seems to be a chance of 14c or so around here tomorrow, breezy but looks like more chance of the cloud burning back where-as Sunday now seems to be cloudier and 11-12c, bit like today! 

Edit: Even the BBC forecast for around here has increased the cloud for the entire weekend now, they still are on the warmer side of the forecasts, 16c Sat, 14c Sun.

Edited by magicpatch

Posted

normally a huge coldie here, but this time around i hope it doesn’t come again! been plenty of cold and snow here this year already and the taste of warmer weather is very appealing now. 

don’t think i remember a winter where i’ve been satisfied with the depth of cold and amount of days of snow for years, roll on those first early 20c days in spring!

• Like 1

Posted

Mild and a bit breezy this morning, hung some washing out for the first time this year! Looking forward to some warmer sunshine days over the next few days, be nice to get everything dried out and be able to walk the woofs without being knee deep in puddles and mud

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

It does give me quite the giggle when you venture into MOD and see people wetting themselves at a snowy easterly at 384h.

All for 20c and sun now!

• Like 4

Posted
18 hours ago, Russell Peacock said:

Nice sunset anvil from north London. Looks on radar that this is from shower over north Kent. About 30miles? 

7A73AD4D-CC08-4B0C-8FC4-70C5466416BC.jpeg

Maidstone was a little far north ,just copped the northern bit of the said shower,more paddock wood,goudhurst, that way I reckon ,but good to see none the less

IMG_20210218_170927.jpg

IMG_20210218_170806.jpg

Posted
10 minutes ago, TN9 said:

Maidstone was a little far north ,just copped the northern bit of the said shower,more paddock wood,goudhurst, that way I reckon ,but good to see none the less

IMG_20210218_170927.jpg

IMG_20210218_170806.jpg

Oh and and rainbow too 

IMG_20210218_170638.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, sun or heat

Well I expected to feel a little warmer this week but the wind seems to go right through me (External wind of course!!!)!

Since last summer I've been working in my office, an elevated summer house, the wind felt exceptional today in gusts, and rocked the whole building.

As much as I love the snow, I'm pining for spring and summer, is anyone else done with winter?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

I'd love a bit of snow but I know I'm never really going to get any, maybe next year.. want some warmer weather now. Maxed today at 10c which it is now.

Edited by Freeze

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!

Yep, I want the winter coat in the cupboard now.

Lighter evenings starting to catch up with the end of the traditional working day, which is when I begin feeling like spring is just around the corner. Given the vaccine rollout and a genuine prospect of an end to the crisis, this spring feels quite symbolic, and I'm hoping for a repeat of last year. 

I like summer to spill into September and early October as there's a tangible benefit to extending warm conditions. The same can't be said for winter in March unless we get exceptional depth of cold. So it's a no from me! 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Number 23 said:

Yep, I want the winter coat in the cupboard now.

Lighter evenings starting to catch up with the end of the traditional working day, which is when I begin feeling like spring is just around the corner. Given the vaccine rollout and a genuine prospect of an end to the crisis, this spring feels quite symbolic, and I'm hoping for a repeat of last year. 

I like summer to spill into September and early October as there's a tangible benefit to extending warm conditions. The same can't be said for winter in March unless we get exceptional depth of cold. So it's a no from me! 

I agree, with the vaccination program steaming ahead if we get a crap spring and summer that really would be a kick in the nuts! 

• Like 2

Posted

08:20 obs

11.3°C 7.0°C dp

Manston = 10.5°C 6.6°C dp

Edited by Jamie M

Posted
10 hours ago, WeatherCandy said:

Well I expected to feel a little warmer this week but the wind seems to go right through me (External wind of course!!!)!

Since last summer I've been working in my office, an elevated summer house, the wind felt exceptional today in gusts, and rocked the whole building.

As much as I love the snow, I'm pining for spring and summer, is anyone else done with winter?

NO NOT UNTIL END MARCH LOVE  

• Like 1

Posted

Unsure what to expect this weekend, it's a cloudy start, thicker at times, sun peaks though for a bit then then the cloud catches up, about 11c outside but a keen old breeze.

BBC are sticking with 'sunny intervals' which are few and far between so far, MetOffice seem to think mostly cloudy all day apart from a small break in the cloud between 2-3pm but both seem to increase the (small) chance of light rain though-out the afternoon. 

Edit:
I know it' all automatically updated by computer, but the MO has now changed around here to 'sunny intervals' all day but has also increased the wind gusts this afternoon to 40mph early afternoon. It's a far cry from last weekend that's for sure! 

Edited by magicpatch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

My lemon tree has officially been returned to the garden. It’s mild enough at the moment with temperatures expected to reach the mid teens today and potentially on a fair few of the coming days too. A lot of cloud and a moderate breeze from the south/south west.

That said a larger clearer slot is now passing overhead, so sunny skies at the moment.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted

Day seems to have settled down here now, lots of high level white cloud, sun poking though, I think the updated Met forecast seems accurate. Not ventured out yet for my daily walk, but it's warm indoors with the windows closed, open it up and you are reminded about the breeze! 

Posted

12:00 obs

14.1°C 6.9°C dp

Sun well and truly out and white cloud being replaced by haze

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Lovely day today.sun has been out since about 10 and it really is quite warm in the sun.amazing to think this time last week it was still zero in a bitter wind.It was also only about 8 or 9 days ago that the models were going for a milder week for this week but the cold to return about 23/24th.Well they got the first part right but the second bit looks to be horribly wrong as looking at temps between 13-17 now for next week.Tbh quite happy for that as work outdoors for a living so it will be nice to have a bit of sun which has been distinctly lacking these last 3 months.Just ran out of vitamin d supplements so that is good timing