Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well blew work out and got some fun in the Snow at last  IMG_3041.MOV

So surely there are no posters who say the Amber wasnt warranted now ?? I know not every area in the Amber got what an Amber warning deserved but plenty of places did. When Storm warnings are Issued n

My 76 year old father snow blading today in Newnham, Kent.  They’ve had around 4” over the last 24 hours. Temp is -0.8 there right now  V jealous indeed as I look out over green fields in th

Posted Images

Posted

Current depth in central about 1.5cm.

I miss Leeds for snow. 

😔

IMG_20210208_123519.jpg

Edited by Cheese Rice
    • Like 1
    Posted
    1 hour ago, TSNWK said:

Appears that the Esturary is drying up now - provided a nice couple of hours this moring for the North of kent, into South London 🙂

Greedy I know but why is it drying up at present I really felt it was starting up ? @kold weather and views on this please? you do seem to be our resident Streamer expert 🙂 and when might we expect any refiring of the streamers please? 

@kold weather Is the 'Streamer' forecaster king. You got the streamer forecasts spot on 👍❄️

• Like 1
    Posted

Just noticed the area circled in black is moving up towards london area. Has anyone else noticed it?

Screenshot 2021-02-08 at 12.28.36.png

• Like 5
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
    1 minute ago, Timmytour said:

It's been decidedly underwhelming in this parts of Herts based on the expectations prior to the weekend. Had more depth from the snow a few weeks back.  Has anywhere in Herts done ok out of this?

i think it has to be said that the performance of precipitation models leads me to believe that their FI begins at T12   

A couple of cm's on the ground here in Wgc although hard to tell as being blown plus some melt on roads/pavements. yes overall disappointing although there has been light to moderate snow here this morning so far. Hope it continues at least.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold

Slightly bigger than snizzle now, this is positive, could be a World Record for the longest time to cover a paving slab with snow, been going for around 27hrs now. Slab has 1mm covering a third of it I would say.   

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer sunshine

The continuous snow here this morning  has added another 1/2 inch to the 1 inch we had on the garden table. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

I posted this the other day, but worth doing so again as posts quickly get lost in the fast pace. It's an informative blog on radars by our own Jo Farrow:

AdobeRadomeRadarblimag.jpg
    WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

How does the rain radar work? There is a network of radar stations across the UK and Ireland scanning the skies and outputting images showing rain, snow and thunderstorms helping the weather forecast.

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course
    38 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Hit the nail on the head there zubzero. Our Region is stuck under a blanket of stratus giving just light intermittent snow, whilst further north the convective shower activity has pepped up and snow showers are pouring in off the North Sea. The latest satellite image illustrates it nicely:

11.45: 2081327957_Satellite08Feb11_45.thumb.jpg.d39e81c88a2fddbf4c8e4385fb6b7c81.jpg

Source: https://en.sat24.com/en/gb/visual

Heartbreaking😢

Posted

whats the difference for shower activity further north, the thames estuary very quiet in comparison.....cloud cover??

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
    58 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Probably never!

It’s only been cold for less than 24 hours. Give it a chance 😊

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

Light Snow here ( not fine flakes ) . About 2-3 / 10 intensity.

Temp -1.2C DP -3.9C  

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Light snow here 

• Thanks 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
    1 hour ago, TSNWK said:

Appears that the Esturary is drying up now 

Is it though? Radar keeps (convective) shower activity going as it approaches the estuary for what I see

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to Early October

Is Thames convection already starting? I was just thinking I was in a dry patch when suddenly I noticed the snow intensity picking up from 1/10 to now 4/10 id say

Screenshot_20210208-125129_Rain Alarm.jpg

Screenshot_20210208-125128_Rain Alarm.jpg

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, more snow and even more snow..Oh and I love a good old Thunderstorm

Certainly an up tick in PPN intensity around the Thames but could be nothing 

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1
    Posted
    3 minutes ago, Cableguy said:

whats the difference for shower activity further north, the thames estuary very quiet in comparison.....cloud cover??

Yep basically blocking the chance for real convection to happen, but this will change later

• Thanks 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!
    Just now, Kentspur said:

Is Thames convection already starting? I was just thinking I was in a dry patch when suddenly I noticed the snow intensity picking up from 1/10 to now 4/10 id say

Screenshot_20210208-125129_Rain Alarm.jpg

Screenshot_20210208-125128_Rain Alarm.jpg

100% looks like we are....

Much heavier now in Gillingham

• Like 1
    20 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Yes, the stratus cloud layer will fizzle and pull away. This is best illustrated using the Arpege model. To the left is the cloud cover (nebulosite in French) animation from this morning's 06z run showing this morning through to Tuesday morning. White is cloud and black is clear and to start you can see our Region and the southern North Sea covered in cloud (white). The cloud from the shower streamers shows up nicely in white. Then the second chart is the precipitation for the same time period and you'll see the areas of light pink (light snow) over us fade and move away so that by Tuesday the UK is just left with showers/streamers.

anim_tvl3.gifanim_fno1.gif

Source: http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/arpege.php?ech=3&mode=4&map=330

So things should liven up later 👀

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Looking like it will be the coldest day since March 2nd 2018 with the temperature standing at -0.87c and unlikely to move much.

20210208_105705.jpg

20210208_101621.jpg

20210208_094208.jpg

20210208_092612.jpg

• Like 2
    Posted

will we get an ice day its -0.2c so going to be close,very rare for the SE coast to achieve it,a tiny dusting,need some heavier stuff to get to even 1cm lol

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Might be worth keeping an eye on the English channel and the movement of the blob off Eastbourne those West of here toward the channel coast.

Seems to be on course the run along the coast and 'possibly' intensify.

• Like 6
    Posted
    1 hour ago, Hotspur62 said:

I think there will be a little light snow on and off here in NW Kent until late afternoon.My understanding and just using experience of past events the period of Thames streamer will be from about 6pm tonight till about 9-12 tomorrow morning.Some of the High resolution models have Orpington in the firing line so if it comes off there could be substantial snow overnight.This is just my take on it but as you say Kold Weather is the SE thread expert so probably best to get his analysis 👍

Good shout... very fine, if anything for an hour or so - however last 30 mins snowfall has increased and the radar is waking up again - with one the classic signs, back-building eastwards along the thames from about DArtford crossing I guess : ) 🙂 🙂

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, more snow and even more snow..Oh and I love a good old Thunderstorm

Looks like some moderate snow through northern half London now anyone there?

• Like 1