Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Afternoon all, think i'm going to go outside and put my head in the snow to wake myself up properly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

Quick question. Would the snow if it comes settle around this time or is the solar input going to stop it? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Darcy is giving it her all as she leaves the stage this morning. Took these photos on my nice long walk today, it’s been getting heavier since.

47538E2F-811B-4240-9BB3-05D4CE0D9527.jpeg

65E40546-8642-4C65-837E-09A583986D2B.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, danm said:

It is weirdly a little warmer up there. Temps widely 1's and 2's whereas down here we are widely at -1c to -3c. Maybe more of a direct feed off the near continent here?

They are getting sunshine clearance in between the showers, so the temps are warming up to where you'd proably expect from a ENE with -10hpa temps at this time of year, somewhere around 1-2c. Whereas we have this thick blankey of cloud and as you say a shorter feed which is pegging temps back. Once we start to lose the cloud later this week we will also rise to 0-2c probably.

Lets try and keep the cloud in place till the evening, and then if it starts to decay to allow stronger convection, good.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

I think I'd rather us keep the stratus and light /moderate snow all day than have the sun pop out between showers as it is up north, which would cause some snow melt. Then have the convection kick off again when the sun goes down. That would be perfect.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.
30 minutes ago, zubzero said:

One day the euro4 will be right, I hope its today

Yes it’s a bullseye for East Anglia! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Not holding out for much here on the south coast, it seems that Brighton, a little to the east of me, seems to be the western extent of any snow today and yesterday. 

the local bbc forecast did show some snow showers for us later on this afternoon and through the evening, but probably won't amount to much if anything.

it ain't over till its over, though  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Just seen latest Beeb forecast with Carol Kirkwood...little about mentioning a streamer in the Thames region overnight but the graphics sort of showed one (not to take these too literally) and concentrated more on the convection further north, thing that got me and was laughable she said strongest gusts would be near 30-40mph towards East Anglia and Kent coasts!! hardly a breath of wind here...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
2 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Yes, the stratus cloud layer will fizzle and pull away. This is best illustrated using the Arpege model. To the left is the cloud cover (nebulosite in French) animation from this morning's 06z run showing this morning through to Tuesday morning. White is cloud and black is clear and to start you can see our Region and the southern North Sea covered in cloud (white). The cloud from the shower streamers shows up nicely in white. Then the second chart is the precipitation for the same time period and you'll see the areas of light pink (light snow) over us fade and move away so that by Tuesday the UK is just left with showers/streamers.

anim_tvl3.gifanim_fno1.gif

Source: http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/arpege.php?ech=3&mode=4&map=330

Thanks!

After popping my head into the Yorks/E England regional thread I'd rather us keep the cloud! Lot's of complaints there about snow melt in the sun in between showers. Got persistent light to moderate snow now which will do me until the sun goes down.

• Like 2

Posted

does feel in SW London we are just one heavy shower away from a decent covering - TYypical a very rare ice day but not moisture around except for tiny flakes

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Hurricane Squad said:

At this rate we'll have snow for most of the week.

image.thumb.png.34763fe16e58cf13ae25b930cc3a1579.png

An hour ago there was no more snow for our area.  Now we have heavy snow up until late tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

It's been decidedly underwhelming in this parts of Herts based on the expectations prior to the weekend. Had more depth from the snow a few weeks back.  Has anywhere in Herts done ok out of this?

i think it has to be said that the performance of precipitation models leads me to believe that their FI begins at T12   

Posted

Also been snowing lightly though not on radar, as a couple of others have reported on here.

Why / how does this happen? (Definitely not blowing down-wind from N-E of here, because nothing on the radar in that direction until you get to the Continent. . .)

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, D.V.R said:

Nothing on the radar for south London but's still snowing in Streatham 

Which radar are you using? I use various radars and one of the good ones is Netweather's radar. Their resolution is very good too especially pinpointing areas with snowfall and incoming snow 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!
Just now, yamkin said:

Which radar are you using? I use various radars and one of the good ones is Netweather's radar. Their resolution is very good too especially pinpointing areas with snowfall and incoming snow 

Always respected your input Yamkin, what do you see for North Kent for the rest of today into tomorrow?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

i think i have cornered the market in pointless snow fall. The watering can is a causality of storm Darcy 

Photo on 08-02-2021 at 12.38.jpg

Edited by lassie23
  • Like 3