Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Amber warning was warranted after all, yesterday seemed to be the main event but many posters talking about the streamer and what a streamer it has been so far, the warning took it's time to manifest but then again there was uncertainty just a day before about the amount of snow so the Met Office gave a longer time because of this uncertainty.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Blessed Weather said:

Hit the nail on the head there zubzero. Our Region is stuck under a blanket of stratus giving just light intermittent snow, whilst further north the convective shower activity has pepped up and snow showers are pouring in off the North Sea. The latest satellite image illustrates it nicely:

11.45: 2081327957_Satellite08Feb11_45.thumb.jpg.d39e81c88a2fddbf4c8e4385fb6b7c81.jpg

Source: https://en.sat24.com/en/gb/visual

Will this change soon?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
Just now, Blessed Weather said:

Hit the nail on the head there zubzero. Our Region is stuck under a blanket of stratus giving just light intermittent snow, whilst further north the convective shower activity has pepped up and snow showers are pouring in off the North Sea. The latest satellite image illustrates it nicely:

11.45: 2081327957_Satellite08Feb11_45.thumb.jpg.d39e81c88a2fddbf4c8e4385fb6b7c81.jpg

Source: https://en.sat24.com/en/gb/visual

Are we expecting the upper warm front and stratus layer to pull away?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
5 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Radar looking a bit sad at the moment but there are more opportunities being modelled for later this evening and tomorrow. Potential for a Thames streamer but it'll be hit and miss.

Arpege tomorrow morn:

arperge2.thumb.png.902cf23771eb89860b353ea233185dec.png

Absolutely nailed on for my home location and town of birth/work and anywhere SW&NE of here roughly and a few miles either side  

Good old T.S from the ENE 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, wellington boot said:

Did he? I remember putting this to him and he said conditions weren't right this time and he gave himself an almost 0% chance... Just saying...

There was a post he mentioned the possibilities of streamers with a ENE wind flow

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

I am getting more snow falling than I would expect according the radar at the moment.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, clark3r said:

This is really turning into a poor show, it’s bitter yes but the snow in my area is pathetic, radar looks pretty dull at the moment

Could get more interesting into tonight/tomorrow as the winds veer, you'll see more convective activity. It will become very much a nowcast, stuff popping up when least expected. This is what happens when you get the cold air in situ for a couple of days.

image.png.05844f69d79695cf462f79f1b10b77

• Like 1

Posted

On Met warnings - we have become used to updates around 11:00 - nothing I can for our reason this morning? maybe they are content with yesterdays update ( although they have alsways updated in my view in the past, even if to not say very much ) are they waiting a tad longer today before showing their hand I ponder ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS
19 minutes ago, throwoff said:

BBC, Meto and Euro 4 all looking like 5pm onwards a build up of accumulations. 

I would expect 10cm for some of us overnight, though it really will be the last gasp of this event.

Possibility of a few streamers Weds afternoon in S.E if you go by Meto.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Widely at or below freezing across the region at midday with Suffolk looking like the coldest area. ❄️

sefreeze.thumb.png.0bd39ecdba0018a397ef5b8d8a00b41b.png

Rare ice day in London looking likely too! Useful stats from Wanstead Meteo >

• Like 2

Posted

It’s still light, maybe 3.5/10 but heaviest it’s been today. It’s going to have to fall right this evening for streamers, but remember how the models underestimated last night, should be better if we can get that convection going

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

mmm. getting quite dark here and our tiny flakes of nonsense are getting a big fatter.

It's been snowing all morning now. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS
18 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Euro4 06z to midday Wednesday

image.thumb.png.e253c71dfc31fd693fbfca8737e8d58a.png

Convergence zones through Lincolnshire, one extending WSW from roughly Lowestoft/Gt Yarmouth and one through the Thames. Coastal areas should be a culminations regardless of being in these zones.

Nice to see

That will do me.

Posted
20 minutes ago, throwoff said:

BBC, Meto and Euro 4 all looking like 5pm onwards a build up of accumulations. 

I would expect 10cm for some of us overnight, though it really will be the last gasp of this event.

I'm not sure how broadly you are defining the event, but the fax charts suggest convergence lines on the east coast until late Wednesday at least. I'd expect more general convection about if these exist.

Posted

Currently under a persistent band of light to moderate snow. Looking at the radar, it seems to be building a little and should keep the snow falling for a while, although nothing heavy as yet. 

Earlier:

60348D28-BEDE-4C40-8814-E894F7583F1E.thumb.png.3426d7e045364a3e078436745ba45f34.png

Now:

A63B9ECD-6063-4CC8-8811-6EF06674DC9B.thumb.jpeg.3d03eb8606548f0b8fdc36f231cd16a4.jpeg

Posted

Just qiuckly, the weakening of precipitation over our the southern part of the region was forecasted by the 00z models, so that was to be expected.

As Paul S said earlier this is not a bad thing to allow things to reload a little.

It is possible that the convergence zone further north at the moment may limit things a little as well but we will see.

As I said earlier I'm not expecting at the moment a strong streamer event, probably moderate levels. Also do remember there are no certainties its even going to get going. Its a possibility and nothing more, don't hang your hat on it giving large snowfalls.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm spring days and summer thunderstorms

Temp is right on zero here, but it looks like a slight thaw is just starting and its very dark and grey with just very light snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
1 hour ago, D.V.R said:

Nothing on the radar for south London but's still snowing in Streatham 

Maybe they have their own snow making machine

• Like 2

Posted

Seeing reports in the north that the snow is struggling to settle, not going to lie it feels kind of nice to hear

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Dbarb said:

Seeing reports in the north that the snow is struggling to settle, not going to lie it feels kind of nice to hear

It is weirdly a little warmer up there. Temps widely 1's and 2's whereas down here we are widely at -1c to -3c. Maybe more of a direct feed off the near continent here?

• Like 1