Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

Loving the look of those beefy showers coming into Norfolk - but the radar is telling a few fibs tonight as I’m supposedly under that light PPN but it’s currently dry and no snow in the air at all... so all may not be what it seems! It does seem to be breezier tonight than it was last night though so that may assist the efforts but I’ll still be surprised to see much tonight... strange things do happen though ! 

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, TonyK St Albans said:

Snowing steadily in St Albans now and the MO radar suggests we could be in for an hour or so at the equivalalent rate of around 1mm/hour

Now I remember when I was a kid being told that an inch of snow is the equivalent (roughly) of a tenth of an inch of rain. Don't know how reliable that is but it begs a question.

So, need your help please guys!  Does anyone know what 1mm rain per hour would translate into in terms of snow mms?

Approx a cm I think Tony 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, dubmuffin said:

I did that 6 years ago and never looked back. So disheartened by the lack of snow down south, we booked a weekend skiing in Scotland. Never skied before or seen that much snow! Immediately booked a week in Austria and have been skiing about 3 times a year ever since. It makes the disappointment of a south london winter that bit easier to bear. At least we have had a bit of lockdown snow, but still miss the mountains. 

I get that. Something special though about seeing a heavy dump of snow on the actual street where you live. 

Posted
12 minutes ago, snowspotter said:

Is the streamer likely to shift south at all? It looks like its fizzling out to me .Was a great day out there today not a massive amount of snow but just great being out in it

If only! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, sun and snow.
1 minute ago, TonyK St Albans said:

Snowing steadily in St Albans now and the MO radar suggests we could be in for an hour or so at the equivalalent rate of around 1mm/hour

Now I remember when I was a kid being told that an inch of snow is the equivalent (roughly) of a tenth of an inch of rain. Don't know how reliable that is but it begs a question.

So, need your help please guys!  Does anyone know what 1mm rain per hour would translate into in terms of snow mms?

Rule I heard is 1 inch of rain = A foot of snow (12 inches). 
So 1mm of rain by the same ratio is 1.2cm of snow.

Other factors such as ground temps come into play. These tend to work more against lighter precipitation when it comes to settling. So the actual number, given that 1mm per hour isn’t that heavy will probably be a bit less. 

I’m a numbers man, but not a meteorologist though, so others on this site may know far more.

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Matty88 said:

Loving the look of those beefy showers coming into Norfolk - but the radar is telling a few fibs tonight as I’m supposedly under that light PPN but it’s currently dry and no snow in the air at all... so all may not be what it seems! It does seem to be breezier tonight than it was last night though so that may assist the efforts but I’ll still be surprised to see much tonight... strange things do happen though ! 

I’m getting regular heavy snow showers here now mate, mind they don’t last long enough though, to Give decent coverage.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Oh snow, got to be close second frosty mornings, all white and glistening,

still light snow here, light covering on the pavements, better than nothing  freezing over, treacherous out there.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

The band of snow has given us a dusting over surfaces where the snow had melted from earlier but it seems to be moving north. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course
10 minutes ago, pureasthedriven said:

I get that. Something special though about seeing a heavy dump of snow on the actual street where you live. 

True, but I think we'd just been through another epic rollercoaster model fail and I could bear it no more

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters
16 minutes ago, TonyK St Albans said:

Hi Tony, I believe 1mm of rain equals 1cm of snow in general, but other factors regarding upper conditions can increase snow density but at the same time decrease. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Lord Grogon said:

Rule I heard is 1 inch of rain = A foot of snow (12 inches). 
So 1mm of rain by the same ratio is 1.2cm of snow.

Other factors such as ground temps come into play. These tend to work more against lighter precipitation when it comes to settling. So the actual number, given that 1mm per hour isn’t that heavy will probably be a bit less. 

I’m a numbers man, but not a meteorologist though, so others on this site may know far more.

Thanks for that. Now you mention it, that's what I'd heard too.  

Seems to be settling quickly everywhere this time, including on pavements and patios, which yesterday's dump did not succeed in doing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

So annoying that our snow showers are so weak and patchy. Meanwhile, all Eastern areas north of Norwich seem to be getting heavy snow showers.

My optimism has gone now so roll on spring! ☀️

Posted

Some light snow still falling and temp now -1. The heavier stuff earlier has turned everything white again, just. Hoping it might pep up a bit.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, TonyK St Albans said:

Thanks for that. Now you mention it, that's what I'd heard too.  

Seems to be settling quickly everywhere this time, including on pavements and patios, which yesterday's dump did not succeed in doing.

Yesterday was a dump in st albans ?   our definitions differ Tony ! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Only radar image i have at moment

image.thumb.png.25eb9b9381076c95bb52700ccf8b51c6.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!

A shift to a more NE movement would be appreciated right now... 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

I'm stuck under what shows as light snow on the radar. Have been all day yet nothing is falling. All it's doing is stopping the temperature from falling (holding at -0.1C here).

Hopeful that when the wind turns NE and then NNE later tonight we might see some snow showers that North Norfolk has been hogging.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
37 minutes ago, Ols500 said:

Any experts on here know why an upper warm front developed?

No idea, but it was a pain in the bum, as well as the little warm sector that came in, in front of the Darcy band. May be it's related to that, rose above the band?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
18 minutes ago, Stu_London said:

Beautiful starry night here - dewpoints must be really low - andromeda visible to naked eye. 

They are.  My DP is -6

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

East of Clacton, new convective area starting up slightly further south to the current one. 

• Like 1