Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter snow.

I think we’ve got lucky here this afternoon, just far west enough to miss the worst of the overcast grot on the eastern half of London . Still a fair amount of cloud but decent sunny breaks and feels pleasant enough out there. Nothing special though in what it is turning out to be one of the most boring summer months ever! 

Posted

Today pretty much sums up summer 2021 - tedious. 2pm and still stuck under a stubborn blanket of grey, not even a hint of blue skies although it’s not quite as dull as earlier. And this is supposed to be the improved weather!

Posted
18 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Anyone else grown some monster weeds in their garden this summer?

Not in the garden no as i have gravelled that. The allotment however is a different story!!! Some of these weeds are nearly 5 ft tall, bonkers, and there's spuds somewhere in amongst all that chaos. Been so wet I never had to water them but the wet just sent the weeds crazy. Great for the bees though. The weeds will die back now that autumn is on the horizon.  

Screenshot_20210823_145441.jpg

Edited by Wimbledon88
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Evening all

In contrast to many other late Augusts, not one to sit out in the north-facing back garden this evening.

A distinctly chilly NE'ly setting up and I suspect we'll have it for several days in this part of the world.

Fine and sunny and otherwise glorious - I suppose I could always sit in the front garden and mumble at people as they walk past......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
4 hours ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Not in the garden no as i have gravelled that. The allotment however is a different story!!! Some of these weeds are nearly 5 ft tall, bonkers, and there's spuds somewhere in amongst all that chaos. Been so wet I never had to water them but the wet just sent the weeds crazy. Great for the bees though. The weeds will die back now that autumn is on the horizon.  

Screenshot_20210823_145441.jpg

Been a weed and grass growing summer for sure

• Like 1

Posted

According to the met office app we should have clear skies now. Reality is total cloud cover yet again! If anything it’s getting gloomier in the last hour.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

It's pleasantly warm sat in the sun, but enough cloud about to frequently cut off the sun's warmth and then it feels rather chilly (admittedly out and about in a t-shirt). If you glanced at the 500hPa chart for today you'd think lovely jubbly, look at that high. But the 850hPa chart reveals that actually it's a chilly air mass coming into our Region on the NE'ly flow and up at 1,500m the temp is only 8C.

Today 500hPa 1345924712_GFS50024Aug14_00.thumb.png.bb1b43a281ec148b81f9a74babbcf766.png 850hPa 2030471424_GFS85024Aug14_00.thumb.png.f30f771012f8d68f8633602788b6acc9.png

Friday looking like an even cooler breeze down on the ground with the 850 air mass over us only 4C. Very disappointing to have a settled spell but with the high pressure centred 200 miles too far west.

Friday 850 1751112867_GFS85027Aug14_00.thumb.png.6b962211138a3321fe28cf9cfb390c02.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Reached 23c here and lots of sunshine with a breeze. Low ish humidity too around 50% 

Posted
On 22/08/2021 at 16:41, NYCSnow said:

I think we’ve got lucky here this afternoon, just far west enough to miss the worst of the overcast grot on the eastern half of London . Still a fair amount of cloud but decent sunny breaks and feels pleasant enough out there. Nothing special though in what it is turning out to be one of the most boring summer months ever! 

But ..and its a big but (excuse the expression)if only the wind  direction would manifest its self in deepest winter ,here would be perfect  

• Like 1

Posted

Lot of cloud now piling in from the NE flow, starting to feel a little chilly in the wind, should keep the temps nice and cool overnight. This has been the first summer in years that I havent had to resort to the 4.5 tog duvet and kept the winter duvet on, lovely.

Posted
On 21/08/2021 at 12:13, alexisj9 said:

Today is flying ant day down here, don't quite know why they've waited so long, thought it happened months ago elsewhere.

Yea they have waited and waited  but never had right conditions ,even they thought f**k it now or never

• Like 1

Posted

If you ran, i think its SHIPS ,statistical model ,we have here (kent) the most North Eastly  winds of any sumner ,we can't, but I bet it is 

Posted
On 24/08/2021 at 19:33, TN9 said:

If you ran, i think its SHIPS ,statistical model ,we have here (kent) the most North Eastly  winds of any sumner ,we can't, but I bet it is 

Sorry wrong model ,it wasn't the intensity,I was after ,statistics yea ,direction of wind.over se England.over meteorological  summer,ill work on it

Posted
2 hours ago, TN9 said:

But ..and its a big but (excuse the expression)if only the wind  direction would manifest its self in deepest winter ,here would be perfect  

Yep, and I’d be complaining about being too far west! ☃️

• Like 1

Posted
15 hours ago, NYCSnow said:

Yep, and I’d be complaining about being too far west! ☃️

Proper peed of by this cloud and easterly wind only a few miles south and west  and temps could reach 25 19 and chilly here in herts. Supposed to be like that tomorrow too

Posted

So happy that cloud has stayed north of London, finally a sunny day and feels lovely and warm. Probably one of the best days of the month, which says it all really.