Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter snow.

Now under the fourth torrential downpour of the afternoon here in Surbiton with another cheeky rumble of thunder. I think this one is the heaviest yet! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

3rd thunderstorm of the day in Cobham

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, NYCSnow said:

Now under the fourth torrential downpour of the afternoon here in Surbiton with another cheeky rumble of thunder. I think this one is the heaviest yet! 

Quite an incredible fourth effort! The whole cell intensified right above us ?️

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter snow.
24 minutes ago, Reefseeker said:

Quite an incredible fourth effort! The whole cell intensified right above us ?️

Yep, wasn’t expecting that. The back garden is absolutely sodden!

Posted
2 hours ago, Badgers01 said:

A notably poor day for late July here in N Surrey currently 14c and driving heavy rain !!

well in the deepest Sussex other then a few heavy showers first thing and a constant gusty strong wind its been gorgeous

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Last shower of the day by the looks of it.

86BE5AB6-BD34-48A2-8A09-E0634A8FF552.jpeg

CA58D7B6-780C-4AF9-916A-6793DEFDA0C2.jpeg

54BF432D-743C-4473-8C87-A3EF7C36BB3C.jpeg

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 4

Posted
12 minutes ago, TN9 said:

well in the deepest Sussex other then a few heavy showers first thing and a constant gusty strong wind its been gorgeous

just shows the regional variations I guess 

Posted
1 hour ago, NYCSnow said:

Yep, wasn’t expecting that. The back garden is absolutely sodden!

Indeed, large puddles and minor flooding of drives, gardens and roads very evident on our walk this evening; next door's garden looks to have had a swimming pool installed. 

Pics below - one as the cell rumbled off to the south east, the other of one of the local flooded road. 

IMG_20210728_210935.jpg

IMG_20210728_194907.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Sounds like a bloody winter storm out there, not summer! Feels like the wettest summer weve had in ages.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

If it wasn't for the gusty wind it would've been a warm day, 21c and sunny spells after a morning shower.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Looks like a nasty little feature (for this time of year) forms off the SW approaches this evening (Thurs) and during Friday this rattles along the southern counties of the UK and our Region bring very gusty winds up to 75kmh (45mph). Really not good news for those under canvas or for caravans with awnings. My van and awning is pitched near Clacton this week for my daughter and family to enjoy a week's holiday. So far only the kitchen sink missing from the weather they've 'enjoyed'.

Arpege gust animation Thurs thru to Fri evening: animdwg8.gif

Source: https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/arpege.php?ech=3&mode=11&map=330

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Realised that I havent talked about last Friday into Saturday's storms, did get quite a lot of rain, torrential at times along with some lightning and loud thunder which rumbled away for a few hours but not as good as 2014,2015,2017, 2018 or 2019 in terms of overnight storms. 

Round 1

Screenshot_20210724_003612.thumb.jpg.76dffd2d1c014d4897b33a24bb450c20.jpg.d8a1a0d36602af4ce4db6daf54a5160b.jpgVideoframe_20210724_000724_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg.bd477e4f5b299ea31be013c62f41789d.thumb.jpg.e8eb2a2b398cb3883dba4e6c7900474a.jpg

Round 2

Videoframe_20210724_072528_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg.04625fd5e01cb561291a1fce6fc5d3e1.thumb.jpg.73399ed9b52e1129681d54b915b2aaa5.jpgScreenshot_20210724_081425.thumb.jpg.b9fdca09655a3054062d16c39ed710d9.jpg

Today, early morning convection has surprised me, quite a lot going on despite not much rain on radar. 

IMG_20210729_065422.jpg

IMG_20210729_065424.jpg

IMG_20210729_070937.jpg

IMG_20210729_065441.jpg

• Like 5

Posted

Stiff breeze and a coolish 14c making it feel the freshest out in ages here in Surrey need a sweater for the dog walk !!

Posted

I think it just ducked into single figures overnight, I got up at 5am to close the window! What a difference from a week ago where me and my boyfriend took a picnic rug  and  our kindles to the bench by the river as the flat would not get below 27.c inside at night!

I heard a distant, fleeting storm 5 or 6 miles away in Maidenhead yesterday but a wait for a overhead or very near goes on.

The allotment has been changeable - some plants like the runners have appreciated all the rain and we have never had so many runners, but the cold spring and mediocre weather has made quite a lot of things slow to grow. For us to only just have had our first allotment salad in the last week of July is pretty unusual. The corn, squashes and pumpkins definitely look like they need more very sunny, warm days. 

• Like 3

Posted
14 hours ago, Badgers01 said:

just shows the regional variations I guess 

Yea and it's not really my locale ,I'm on holiday ,but it does seem always to be windy what ever the forecast or models say ,the overall sales of tumble dryers on the south coast must be a fraction of what is sold in other areas ,but you end up chasing stuff up the road ,that strong constant ..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
3 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

Looks like a nasty little feature (for this time of year) forms off the SW approaches this evening (Thurs) and during Friday this rattles along the southern counties of the UK and our Region bring very gusty winds up to 75kmh (45mph). Really not good news for those under canvas or for caravans with awnings. My van and awning is pitched near Clacton this week for my daughter and family to enjoy a week's holiday. So far only the kitchen sink missing from the weather they've 'enjoyed'.

Arpege gust animation Thurs thru to Fri evening: animdwg8.gif

Source: https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/arpege.php?ech=3&mode=11&map=330

Hmm yes, got half a day's training tomorrow, everyone's awnings etc are drying out nicely. Problem is we still need the tea tent and the event shelter! Will probably get awnings down even though we all use them for storage etc. It can get pretty windy on the football ground. 

Posted

As we say at the allotments when it's windy in July - 'it's parallelogram time for the runner beans!

Feel for anyone under canvas in the south tonight - a very best they'll get no sleep.

Posted

Bit of blue sky lot of heavy grey cloud very gusty wind, is this autumn here we come? badly strained leg muscles from fall and oh's  back not appreciating this weather at all bring on the deep heat stinky but it works cream that is just had little bird crash into window flew of but left a few feathers on the window hope its ok

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, lightning and erm thunder

A weird one today, warm sunny and a little muggy, but boy that wind is blowing off the sea. ‘Windy corner’ (junction of the promenade road east/west with the main shopping road north/south) living up to its name, put your anchors down, breaks on and go up a few gears and you might get round without being blown into the safety railings (thankful they replaced them a few years back otherwise it was whoosh into the path of a bus) 

Posted
3 hours ago, Electricmumma said:

A weird one today, warm sunny and a little muggy, but boy that wind is blowing off the sea. ‘Windy corner’ (junction of the promenade road east/west with the main shopping road north/south) living up to its name, put your anchors down, breaks on and go up a few gears and you might get round without being blown into the safety railings (thankful they replaced them a few years back otherwise it was whoosh into the path of a bus) 

Blimey, no wonder you all walk with a north east tilt down here  lol ,constant wind ,what you reckon force five with gusts to nearly seven I reckon nearly since I've been here ,this little low (vigorous) coming along the channel , you won't notice it really ,just lean more into it  lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, lightning and erm thunder
48 minutes ago, TN9 said:

Blimey, no wonder you all walk with a north east tilt down here  lol ,constant wind ,what you reckon force five with gusts to nearly seven I reckon nearly since I've been here ,this little low (vigorous) coming along the channel , you won't notice it really ,just lean more into it  lol

nah we just pop our umbrellas and do a Mary 

• Like 1