Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

Some lightning out in the channel but hardly rip roaring in terms of strike count. 

We'll see of course. If we don't get anything this'll go down as a big bust!

Fingers crossed as ever

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Good evening. Hope you're all well? Cloudy evening here but feeling warm none the less. Looking forward to the potential in the coming hours! 

Picked the Heathrow airport TAF for this output as its generally middle ground of the highlighted warning area given in NetWx's storm forecast issued this morning 

TEMPO 1619/1708 VRB05KT 3000 +TSRA BKN014 BKN060CB PROB30

Between 7pm-8am thunderstorm, heavy rain with Cumulonimbus clouds, 30% probability..

Don't fret too much on the % either. There is some variation in surrounding TAF forecasts as well for timings.

Southend for example (so we don't bias with the Urban Heat Island (UHI) effect in/around London)

1619/1701 2500 +TSRA BKN014 BKN060CB PROB30 TEMPO 1701/1703 2500 +TSRA BKN014 BKN060CB

7pm - 1am thunderstorm, heavy rain with Cumulonimbus clouds, 30% probability.. continuing 1am through to 3am

These are also human input and a generally good source for potential storm forecasting. 

Fingers crossed we all see storms and no one gets left out. Enjoy your evening folks, be safe - whatever weather we get.

• Like 1

Posted

Nice fat blobs of welcome rain here in SE London. Luckily Im too long in the tooth to take any notice of the storm warnings. What will be will be. Just enjoying the light soaking for now 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
21 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Hi NS - I haven't posted here for ages.  Clouds are certainly indicating things are geting going, and I think the storms are going to be close to my area by around 10:30-11 p.m, going by NW radar.

Evening 

If I head out it will be at the last minute (as usual), I've been caught out too many times by sorting out a good position and then kicking my heels for 4 or 5 hours!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

The rain has just arrived here in St Leonards on Sea and my trusty old AM radio is picking up some sferics so it looks like game on here on the South Coast. It's still early days though because most of the trusted forecasters I've been tuned into say this is going to be a late evening/overnight event.  Patience needed folks.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
3 minutes ago, Maidstone marginal said:

If there's any decent thunderstorm activity in the next 2 to 4 hours, it will be scraping Hastings followed by folkestone and Dover, then maybe Ramsgate. Only my opinion.

FYI, there is land on the far side of the Thames Estuary - it's called "East Angular" and people, like me, live there.

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, Bradley in Kent said:

Some lightning out in the channel but hardly rip roaring in terms of strike count. 

We'll see of course. If we don't get anything this'll go down as a big bust!

Fingers crossed as ever

Some good Radar Echoes of Kent coast now. 
the rest is just heavy rain... well that was obvious. 
A few boats in North Sea May see a flash or two

Maidstone and futher east.. hold your hats. May if you’re lucky hear a thunder sound 

Edited by Polaris

Posted
1 hour ago, Mark wheeler said:

Radar has really intensified that precipitation in the last couple of frames . Looks like we could go bang big time . 

981B43DC-F908-4D79-A592-A0713C5D3670.png

That looks great, fingers crossed:) Big drops of rain started slowly on our evening walk, now quite persistent under milky grey skies with the smell of petrichor around us. Very humid still, all the windows are open to let in the slight breeze. No cats to be seen when we were out so they must think something's up;) 

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

FYI, there is land on the far side of the Thames Estuary - it's called "East Angular" and people, like me, live there.

Understand that but I'm talking about the next 2 to four hours for thunderstorm activity. Beyond that it might catch east Suffolk.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Maidstone marginal said:

Understand that but I'm talking about the next 2 to four hours for thunderstorm activity. Beyond that it might catch east Suffolk.

I was being light-hearted, hence the emoji.  I actually think they might affect more of E. Anglia than you suggest, but we'll see.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman

Posted
12 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

But....that's abroad!!! Next to Tunisia and places like that.

I'm going out for a walk to look at some stormy skies,  will report back if there's anything to report.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Team Squirrel said:

But....that's abroad!!! Next to Tunisia and places like that.

I'm going out for a walk to look at some stormy skies,  will report back if there's anything to report.

Ironically, those outside Norfolk are often referred to by Norfolk natives as "furriners".

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
1 minute ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Ironically, those outside Norfolk are often referred to by Norfolk natives as "furriners".

Anyone in the next village over is a furriner!

Lightning maps doesn't have a lot going on in the Channel but Biscay is revving up nicely.

• Like 3

Posted

Just started raining in Ashford. Lights keep flickering for some reason. More likely a fault than some impending storm so no doubt I’ll be left without any power soon.

• Like 2

Posted

Peeing down in Hailsham for nearly an hour, and there is now thunder in the distance.

• Like 2

Posted

The storms seem to be restricted to the eastern edge of the rainband so mainly an east anglia and East Sussex/Kent risk 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, pureasthedriven said:

Moderately heavy rain here at Horley/Gatwick. Humid, not a breath of wind. Gorgeous. Perhaps a small tickle of thunder in the yonder. 

Happy to report its now hammering it down. Excellent hot summer rain.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

Here  she comes. Frequent lightning now here in St Leonards on Sea and distant rumbles of thunder, rain getting heavier.

• Like 1