Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
25 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

If you ask me the weather is rubbish didn’t see a peek of sun today and with 4 weeks till longest day this is unacceptable.

Tough. The weather takes no notice of models, our arbitrary expectations of what weather should be like at given times of the year and is subject to that annoying Patagonian butterfly.

Here in East Sussex, the morning was sunny if chilly, the afternoon mostly cloudy with showers. This evening, it is mostly clear again and the wind nowhere near as strong as forecast. I have, however brought the bedding plants that I haven't yet got round to planting indoors, just in case. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Crepuscular Ray said:

Tough. The weather takes no notice of models, our arbitrary expectations of what weather should be like at given times of the year and is subject to that annoying Patagonian butterfly.

Here in East Sussex, the morning was sunny if chilly, the afternoon mostly cloudy with showers. This evening, it is mostly clear again and the wind nowhere near as strong as forecast. I have, however brought the bedding plants that I haven't yet got round to planting indoors, just in case. 

I don’t require your verdict on matter, thanks.

Posted
Just now, Daniel* said:

I don’t require your verdict on matter, thanks.

Sorry mate, we're all entitled to our opinions. It's far easier just to accept the weather as it comes than describe it as being wrong or unacceptable.

Posted

Horrible here baby weather wet and windy, seems some of us get grouchy like the weather at the moment think we are entitled to as i am feeling rather cheated now not being able to wear summery clothes and closing curtains early with heating on as its so gloomy out.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Hope all are well and keeping safe. Have been back in the region since Monday for recurrent training and exams. Weather has been pretty underwhelming generally (Prague has been no better), but today has been utterly grim for May and is getting worse by the minute. Will be an ‘interesting’ flight home tomorrow

• Like 3

Posted

Not great here again today, wind has gotten progressively stronger as the day has gone on. Moon is out though which is nice! 

Hoping my newly planted tomato plants, and a raspberry and blackcurrant bush survive tomorrow. Pleased no I hadn’t managed to get the runner bean plants in yet!

Posted

Very windy throughout the night, gusting regularly well in gale force territory.

Pressure 996mb and still falling, temp 11.6c

Posted

Entitled to feel grouchy now, weather wild and little greenhouse is victim of violent wind gust earlier luckily most little plants survived and are now in the garage☹️

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather

Sick of this bloody weather. Most peed off about our Horse Chestnut , which we literally grew from a conker, that has been obliterated. It had got to about 18’ and, apart from one branch, has been wrecked. Sick of our weather at times. It’s all or nothing in this bloody country...

Edited by winterfreak
  • Like 1

Posted

A strong gust of wind took the lighter items off the top of my shopping trolley in Sainsbury's car park and simultaneously covered my face with hair rendering the world unsee-able as I heard crisp multipacks and husband's birthday cards scudding between cars, trolleys and tarmac. The birthday cake was nearly a gonner as I leapt to restrain the items that hadn't been blown away before retrieving things from their various and distant resting places.  I think some school boys were disappointed that a middle-aged woman arrived at speed to pick up what looked to be free prawn cocktail crisps from under their noses, but the super-duper card for hubby was a bent muddy mess by the time I finally caught up with it in a far-off corner still being buffeted away from me. I had to go back inside and buy another one...

It's wet and windy here today....

• Like 5

Posted

hubby trying to stick greenhouse poles back together at this moment in the kitchen, still very wild out seems other people having casualties because of wind latest appears to be flying prawns

• Like 2

Posted

Very wild here all morning. We observed a couple of street lights on the seafront bending  at the joint between the base and the pole. Never seen that before - it looked as if they were either going to snap off. Meanwhile, the 2nd fence panel has just been come down from the neighbour's fence...

Posted
4 minutes ago, Stroudley said:

Very wild here all morning. We observed a couple of street lights on the seafront bending  at the joint between the base and the pole. Never seen that before - it looked as if they were either going to snap off. Meanwhile, the 2nd fence panel has just been come down from the neighbour's fence...

Yes I saw that earlier too. By the BP garage. Was crazy. Very windy out. I went for a walk along the seafront last night and it was a struggle. 

Posted

Just seen a kamikaze wagtail trying to take off from neighbours roof in tremendous wind gust, anything funny to brighten up today is appreciatedjust waiting for the next big gust

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Dartford Crossing Bridge now shut, both directions having to use tunnel with the usual chaos that causes.

Screenshot_20210521-133647_Maps.jpg

Edited by matty40s

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!
52 minutes ago, steveh19 said:

Yes I saw that earlier too. By the BP garage. Was crazy. Very windy out. I went for a walk along the seafront last night and it was a struggle. 

Stroudley said

" Meanwhile, the 2nd fence panel has just been come down from the neighbour's fence..."

That is a long way for the fence panels to travel!

Seriously though the weather here is absolutely dire. There is the 3 day National Flower festival that has begun today at Hylands Park, Writtle, here in Mid Essex. Although there will be some undercover facilities much on display will be outside. I and my family have booked to attend on Sunday afternoon, hoping that the rain forecast does not arrive until late evening, although knowing my luck I would not bank on it.

Kind Regards

Dave

• Like 1

Posted

Well the weather gods seem to have forgotten the script. This time last year. All shops shut everything bar food shops open... glorious sunny weather and dry. Did it not read the requirements... released from lockdown and able to see family and train for my walk in two weeks. Nope jet stream far to powerful right over us. Hoping that it does get better but who know its a bit mad

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....

I can't recall ever having such a prolonged spell of exceptionally string winds, it's been relentless. Personally, I've loved it. I drove down to Rock-a-Nore and was trying to talk to this guy on the beach with the most beautiful St. Bernard dog and the gusts were so strong, I was actually struggling to talk ! 

• Like 4

Posted

We are still getting hammered here in suffolk with rain thrown in as an added bonus seems it will be a good idea to hibernate this weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Only 6 months before the snow season starts  or will it snow in June again?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Worked this morning but had a golf day today and can honestly say it was the windiest round of golf I have played in 35 years of trying to play the game!on top of that had driving rain from 7th to the 16th and only 11 degrees!Walked off the course frozen and like a drowned rate and never been so relieved to get to the 19th

• Like 3