Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
24 minutes ago, Reefseeker said:

That makes sense of the clear blue skies I woke up to this morning that rapidly converted into the cloudy slate-grey variety, no doubt giving us yet another chilly day. At least the ground is getting a chance to dry out, although plentiful parts of our local parks and woodlands are still swampy to quite a depth, catching you out and leaving wet mud-covered boots in their wake for the unwary - yes, mine are still drying out under the radiator!

Reminds of my evening walk a few days ago, unaware the field I was trying to cross was quite as wet as it was, I got a few yards into it and realised my mistake, as I turned to go back to the path, my foot slipped, I went down, ended up covered from toes to elbows in thick runny mud, thankfully nobody saw and I then had to walk home dripping mud as I walked, hoping not to pass anyone Think I'll wait a few more weeks before trying that route again! 

• Like 1

Posted

Gloriously sunny start, clouded over by about 9am. Cloud has broken (slightly) since then but forecasts suggest the cloud will thicken in the next hour or so, chilly in the breeze for sure. 

I agree with the above posts, you'd think the ground is drier than it actually is. Went for a walk (or tried to) at the local common at the start of the week, got onto the common fine but soon found out areas of it are still really muddy, and others are still under pools of water - and that was before the rain we had on Wednesday PM, and looks like before that can dry out we could get more rain during the middle of next week! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

I can vouch that the ground in my area is wet and solid, being mainly clay. Makes digging difficult in the gardens. Also cold and gloomy. Cant wait to see that orange ball in the sky again. Think it has gone awol....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
3 hours ago, minus10 said:

I can vouch that the ground in my area is wet and solid, being mainly clay. Makes digging difficult in the gardens. Also cold and gloomy. Cant wait to see that orange ball in the sky again. Think it has gone awol....

However the cold is slowing down the process of spring flower growth, ultimately keeping the flowers that are out , out longer and delaying those buds that havent yet opened. Which means we can enjoy them for longer ( as long as no severe frosts kill them off )....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Had some sleet/snow flurries in the shower just gone past. Nothing major but definitely took me off guard. DP went down to 0.4c

• Like 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, Jamie M said:

Had some sleet/snow flurries in the shower just gone past. Nothing major but definitely took me off guard. DP went down to 0.4c

Certainly 'felt' cold enough out in it today. Dew points have been falling i think.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

One of those day's today, where I just couldn't get warm, wind was very cold. Hoping for some warm sunny day's very soon

Posted

Evening all hope you are all safe and well. 

I am really interested to get peoples thoughts on this winter as it draws to a close. 

There has been a few wind storms but nothing really to write home about. We have had the inevitable chases and were more successful than anyone expected (certainly on my world) lying snow for 7 days. If only we didn't have the rain on Saturday evening before the easterly we would have been  digging ourselves out ala 1987. It snowed continuously for about 12 hours on one of the days. 

Overall it wasn't a bad winter. The flooding was a problem but the chase ended with a nice snow scenario.

Thoughts 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jimmyh said:

I am really interested to get peoples thoughts on this winter as it draws to a close. 

There has been a few wind storms but nothing really to write home about. We have had the inevitable chases and were more successful than anyone expected (certainly on my world) lying snow for 7 days. If only we didn't have the rain on Saturday evening before the easterly we would have been  digging ourselves out ala 1987. It snowed continuously for about 12 hours on one of the days. 

Overall it wasn't a bad winter. The flooding was a problem but the chase ended with a nice snow scenario.

Thoughts 

This winter was above average for rainfall but overall temperature wise average. The cold spell wasn't enough I assume to bring down the overall average.

For me it was a bog standard winter. Nothing special nothing out of the ordinary. The easterly for me was nothing special just cold and dry . Although the light snow that fell everyday was quite cool.. just didn't amount to anything.

6/10 for winter. A more foggy winter than anything. Not sure I've had so many foggy mornings and days in winter . Which makes for odd reading if it is above average rainfall wise as fog is usually associated with high pressure.

Posted

Morning all, a far cloudier start than initially forecast. A few - brief - sunnier intervals, but the forecasts have seemingly trended towards a more cloudier day than than anticipated. Set to be a cool day, barely reaching 6c in these parts, feeling cooler in the NE breeze too. Tomorrow seems to be trending to a similar position too with more cloud than was originally expected. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

So much for the widespread frost. Not happening if cloud continues to feed off the North Sea. Still cloudy now, with high pressure overhead now the question is how quickly (if at all) can the cloud break up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
9 hours ago, Jimmyh said:

Thoughts 

Thanks to Dan Holley and the team at Weatherquest here's a summary of January and February in East Anglia. It probably gives a good feel for how the key months of winter panned out for most in our Region.

January 2021

• Coldest since 2013 (-1.2°C)
  • 8th wettest on record (169%)
  • Dullest since 2011 (75%)

This followed the 5th wettest December on record. Combined, it was the wettest December-January period since 1915, and 3rd wettest on record in a series back to 1862.

1640601042_EAJan2021.thumb.jpg.03db0fbb9b50b5cce75d55d45b07330c.jpg

February 2021

• Warmer than average (+0.9C)
  • Near-normal rainfall (103%)
  • Near-normal sunshine (104%)

Exceptionally mild conditions at times during the 2nd half of the month masked the cold/snowy weather 7th-14th, when averaging the month as a whole.

1845734053_EAFeb2021.thumb.jpg.e3c0f7c3e93d885ff3f28524f2dbd84d.jpg

Charts/stats courtesy of Dan Holley, Weatherquest. Twitter @danholley_

Posted
19 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

So much for the widespread frost. Not happening if cloud continues to feed off the North Sea. Still cloudy now, with high pressure overhead now the question is how quickly (if at all) can the cloud break up.

We've had some sunnier intervals here now for the past 30mins or so, which has warmed things up a bit, but a bit like yesterday I suspect the cloud will win the battle overall. 

Posted

Sun is still not getting through the clouds here, barely showed itself  yesterday too. Whilst its dry, some brightness would be nice and no frost as forecast here, so definately didnt make the -4c low that was forecast. 

Posted

we had early morning frost or so my husband says he is the early morning person,  no sun here at the moment and chilly out bit of a breeze as well, noticed crows around earlier unusual as we dont get them in our garden normally, have a good day everyone.

Posted

Well, again, the sun didnt make an appearance today, just seemed to get cloudier as the day went on, feeling cold but thankfully not windy. Doesn't look as though the sun will be shining over the next few days either looking at the forecast and then a couple days of rain  

Posted

A surprisingly sunny day here, very cold though as the wind was still quite brisk.

Nice to have a walk in along the seafront.

8B959FBD-0A3E-48AA-915B-A50AE7326E5D.thumb.jpeg.2f3bba9809ba34bef7b8c824f5b22b28.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted

All the forecasts this morning are suggesting its sunny outside - it really isn't! Lots of cloud, and chilly start to the day. I get the feeling like yesterday the sun might poke it's head through now and then, but unless it really burns back the cloud by 1-2pm then we generally don't get too much sun.
I'll probably suggest it will be yet another day of cloud, with the odd sunny interval, but a cold day ahead regardless probably not much higher than 6c.

Posted

The calm before the storm. Seems increasing confidence of a wind event of some kind this week , Wednesday and Thursday mainly. Different to what we have been used to. I expect there will be some tree debris around as nature has a way of clearing out the old, dead and weak growth prior to new growth in a few weeks or so... 

image.thumb.png.d4a93f3f1f123ac82cc03a1c107f8fd7.png

• Like 1

Posted

yes minus 10 from latest forecast looks like mid week there will be some cobwebs blown away, hazy sun here at the moment but has been another chilly day, looks like march has come in like a lamb but is going to roar like a lion before the month is out

• Like 1

Posted

Sun finally broke through around 2pm, lasted about half an hour before more cloud rolled in, seems to be getting a bit misty too here, another chilly day.