Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

@TomSE12so sorry to hear your sad news, thoughts go out to you and your family. xx

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
Just now, lassie23 said:

The beast from the east is brewing again according to some models.

We'll only get a sprinkling if it comes off. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, lassie23 said:

Pretty much poo poo affair now unless you get something very very special. The issue is day length and sun strength. Take today for example lets say right now there was some PPN around and it hadn't mixed out the colder night time air...right now I have a DP of -2.1 and a temp of -1.7 by about 9am they will both read positive and the sun begins to break through...

I know the above temps now are because of clear skies but big swings in day and night temps this time of year are very common.

The way our sun rise sun set times work here in the UK mean sometimes they don't always align with the best conditions weather wise. For instances the height of summer is around August/September but the longest day of the year is 21st June. Similar in winter. The coldest conditions occur around end Jan/Feb but the shortest day of the year is back in December 21st hence way 2010 was so brutal because it occurred when we were pretty much at solar minimum output from the sun. Had the last 2 easterly's landed around the same time they would probably have been even worse.

Non if this doesn't mean we can't or wont have cold in March. For the last 4 or 5 years I can remember an easterly wind sometime in March to some extent. With every spring and summer following very dry and hot. The last 3 summers I have broken 35c for my location (Heathrow is the nearest official weather station to me) 

We are now at maximum day length gain now @ roughly 3.5 mins a day gained in light. That means each week we gain nearly 25 mins of light! This then slowly decreases as we approach June 21st. Obviously the changes are very minimal to start and hardly noticeable but when you get to this time of year they are. Its now light to nearly 6pm here, in 2 weeks time it will be 7pm then by the end of March/April its nearly 8pm!

From 5:50am-8pm there is sunlight by the end of March and any snow/cold is quickly melted by the spring sun! Even with cloud cover as we saw back in the last easterly snow was being melted because the UV can still pass through thin cloud layers. 

There is a lot of opinions on this but just yesterday I was watering and noticed how warm the sun felt, I was watering the bamboo at the nursery because the pots are black the soil drys out very quickly.

We actually had a BBQ yesterday afternoon it was so pleasant the earliest one ever! People were cutting grass and it felt like spring. 2 doors down smelt the BBQ and they also had one! Makes a change when we cant go out anywhere to do something different and eat different food!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

after the warm sunshine yesterday i definitely wasn’t expecting to wake up to a slight frost this morning, but i did.. dropped down to 0.1c but now on a rise to hopefully another sunny mild day

• Like 1

Posted

Bright, sunny and (slightly) colder start to yesterday. Seems a similar sort of day to yesterday, highs slightly down on yesterday of around 10c.

I notice the forecasts are showing us picking up a slightly stronger NE/E wind has the day goes on which seems to strengthen into tomorrow which I presume is why there's more cloud in the forecast from tomorrow. 

Next week seems a bit topsy-turvy right now, yesterday Wednesday looked mild (if cloudy) but noticed the overnight change in forecast is now showing rain! 

Edited by magicpatch

Posted

Another frosty sunny morning, so much nicer than dull cloudy mornings. BBC saying misty and cloudy tomorrow, temps dropping too, but no rain, so that will have to do.

Posted

Randomly the cloud has bobbled up here already (not a sign for the rest of the day I hope!), the sun is breaking though it, but the pure blue skies have gone! Seems to be blue skies behind it, but equally some more cloud behind that! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Did anyone else notice how crystal clear the skies still are last night and other nights.

Long may we have less pollution and less air travel, stunningly clear skies, stunningly pristine looking moon.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
11 minutes ago, seaside 60 said:

Did anyone else notice how crystal clear the skies still are last night and other nights.

Long may we have less pollution and less air travel, stunningly clear skies, stunningly pristine looking moon.

I think people in cities should wear masks even after the pandemic, the level of pollution from cars is shocking.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Maybe instead of wearing masks everyone should be as keen on sorting out pollution as there are on covid starting with governments.

However that doesn't win votes or save lives instantly.

The world should grab pollution by the balls and head for a greener world.

Sorry going of topic but Lassie started it. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
16 hours ago, lassie23 said:

All that needs to happen even now, is this high we have move north a bit. The cold really isn't that far away.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
Just now, alexisj9 said:

All that needs to happen even now, is this high we have move north a bit. The cold really isn't that far away.

If only it would just bugger off!

Posted
5 hours ago, TomSE12 said:

Morning all,

Hope I find yourselves and your Families, well.

Just want to say one last thank you, to those Members above for all their kind messages/P.M's of condolence, regarding the passing of my Son, Antony.

I will get around to answering you all personally but as you can imagine, as well as being extremely sad and traumatic, the last few Days have been very busy, with an endless round of phone calls, from my extended Family and in an attempt to take the burden from my Daughter Hayley's shoulders and her Boyfriend Paul, Colette and myself have been making phone calls to the D.W.P and the Funeral Directors, that will be arranging my Son's funeral.

Yesterday, I had to deal with a barrage of texts and messages, from my Italian relatives, which resulted in my making frequent visits to Google Translate.

Perché il mio italiano scritto, non è perfetto (Because my written Italian, is not perfect).

There must be plenty of you out there, that have experienced, this type of a scenario, after a Family bereavement.

The constant hanging on the phone and the continual regurgitation of the details of a loved one's passing, takes an enormous toll, on one's psyche, just when you need to be in full control to get all these arrangements, made.

As I stated Yesterday, despite being overwhelmed by grief, I feel an enormous sense of pride, which is all of my Son's doing, that Antony has obviously touched so many individuals hearts, with his mild manner, bravery and stoicism, in the face of adversity, since he was a very tender age.

He has now reached the end of his 17 Year battle with Huntington's Disease, and as Colette has impressed on me, in the last few Days, nothing can harm him now. He is at peace and in the arms of his beautiful Mother (my first Wife), and close to his Italian Nanny (my Mother).

Hope you all enjoy a peaceful and virus free, Weekend.

Kind Regards,

Tom, Colette and Family.SE12.

Very sorry to hear of your loss, Tom.  Thoughts are with you and your family.

• Like 1

Posted

Decided as it was nice and sunny to move some plants from a old planter into the ground, wow, the soil is still extremely wet (and very clay like here} took ages to dig a couple of large holes, soil sticking to the spade didnt help. Even had to take my jacket off as I was getting too hot. So nice to have some good weather to get jobs down around the garden, spring is nearly here 

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, General Cluster said:

If only it would just bugger off!

I sense you can't wait to get out and start firing up the bbq, I'm in two minds as well, dump winter or have another slice⛷️

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

14.7c here today 0.1c more than yesterday making it the warmest of the year again today, high pressure slap bang over us really makes the difference here on the coast! Better than southerlies which makes it windy and air directly off the channel at their lowest temp of the year makes it cooler here.

• Like 1

Posted

Another sunny day here too, a high of 12.8c after the low of 1.2c (very slight frost on the neighbour’s shed roof).

Although not as warm as some others have posted, still feels lovely in the sunshine and managed to get washing dry on the line (love not having to use the tumble dryer to save a few pounds)

As much as I love the winter, ready for spring now!

Posted
4 hours ago, Zak M said:

Moon looks absolutely stunning tonight!

P1130099.thumb.jpg.ec5e0938354b7cb8490cef288ab144ef.jpg   P1130029.thumb.JPG.38b5fbc2eeafaf0858cbfab00d4cf37d.JPG   P1130030.thumb.JPG.e4f664f0098a5b103819605f5e712ca8.JPG   P1130031.thumb.JPG.5c82b83fdcb139e712e034e1dd2e8709.JPG   P1130101.thumb.jpg.ae880e9a79b9776c4b729179f0f2e6c7.jpg

How do you get rid of the glare and get such a sharp image.

Posted
1 hour ago, lassie23 said:

How do you get rid of the glare and get such a sharp image.

Like this.. Canon 5d mk III, 70-300mm lens. 1/60s, f11, manual focus, iso 100, self timer using mirror lock up and on a tripod.

8CCE0D3D-C5F4-453A-A59E-C184BE69A975.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2