Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings

Was just getting used to the warmer mornings , that was a shock this morning!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

I've had a little break from the forum for a few days, so a bit of catching up to do. First and most important, @TomSE12 I'm very sad to hear the news about your son. My sincere condolences to you and Colette.

Weather-wise, after the cold, snowy weather of late, a nice blast of Spring this week. For the record, here are some of the temps reached in East Anglia on Weds 24th Feb, the warmest day of the year so far and well above average. According to WeatherQuest of Norwich, EA has only recorded 18°C or higher during the month of February in 6 of the past 40 years (since 1981: 1990, 1998, 2004, 2012, 2019, 2021).

892684076_EATempsWed24Feb21.thumb.jpg.27a01c37584b1a1bd40fa3989ca7476d.jpg

Source: Chart & stats: Twitter @danholley_

Has anyone else noticed the dust on their cars this last few days? My car is dark grey and it was very noticeable. So it turns out that the southerly winds that brought us the warmth earlier this week also brought us some dust from the Sahara Desert, in particular clipping the east of our Region. This interesting report from Severe Weather EU published last weekend:

A massive Sahara dust storm forecast to spread across Europe, followed by early spring warm weather through the rest of February
There is a substantial amount of Sahara desert Dust forecast to spread Europe Sunday this weekend, extending into Monday. Large plumes of dust particles collecting over Algeria and turning north into the western Mediterranean and are on their way towards western Europe, reaching as far north as southern Scandinavia over the next two days. At the same time, a warm wave with spring-like weather develops over Europe through the remainder of February.
Published 20/02/21.

1646560711_SaharaDust20Feb21.thumb.jpg.dbf5ce81af608cdf0f7fccb0060be1d8.jpg

Source: https://www.severe-weather.eu/europe-weather/sahara-dust-storm-warm-wave-europe-mk/

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Clear skies to start here. The next couple of days look fine and sunny with night frosts in places.

A cold pool that moves into the North Sea will likely bring more in the way of cloud in from the east next week.

Seen on the ECM this morning

image.thumb.gif.1ba82dfbbecf4708877841bc52398bd1.gif

It may also turn quite chilly as that cold pool introduces colder air.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Morning all,

I hope I find yourselves and your Families, well. 

I must just make one last reference, to the passing of my Son, Antony.

I must thank all those Members above, for their further messages of condolence.

Although I'm still overwhelmed by grief, at the same time I feel immense pride, all of my Son's doing.

I'm finding it a great source of comfort, that Antony seems to have touched so many people's hearts, in his far too short life.

As Tamara states above, all those extended Family members, friends and former colleagues, that have contacted me, to offer their support and messages of condolence, have all remarked on Antony's gentle manner, humility and stoicism.

Despite the cruel hand that life dealt him, seeing his beautiful Mother (my first Wife, Jackie-Lee), taken far too early from his life, by the horrendous disease, that is Huntington's, not once would you hear Antony, complain about his lot.

He indeed was a pretty useful Sportsman, at Football, Cricket and Golf.

Growing up in a Sports mad house, it came as no surprise to Yours Truly, that Antony wanted to follow it his Father's footsteps, and work in the Betting industry. 

After doing a short period of work experience, at the Credit Office of Croydon Bookmaker Sunderland, where I also worked. The Company were more than happy to offer Antony, a Full Time position. 

My Son had a very successful period of employment with the Company, from around 1998 to early 2011.

Antony's career ended at Sunderland Bookmakers, after breaking a bone in either leg. The first occasion happened on Holiday at Center Parcs, in Suffolk in early 2010. A group of Friends and Antony tried to play on a partially frozen Golf Course. Antony, slipped, fell and spent the rest of his Holiday in his Hotel unaware, that he'd fractured his left ankle.

Then in December 2010, Antony slipped and fell in the Snow, at that time and badly fractured a bone in his right leg.

It was around this time, that my Son's balance started to become compromised, by HD.

The Company who we worked for, were left with no option but to terminate Antony's employment prematurely, due to his failing health.

My Family has been greatly comforted by all the kind messages of condolence and support, that we've received from far and wide. This reached a "crescendo", Yesterday Evening.

A former Colleague of Antony, Hayley (he was a former Boyfriend) and myself, did an incredibly generous thing.

Antony, Hayley and her Boyfriend Paul, are all fanatical Arsenal fans. Our former Colleague, came up with the following:

image.thumb.png.73e9c3e65ce6e962fb5f722aee8337fe.png

When my Daughter saw this, Hayley was convulsed in tears.

Those Football fans amongst you, will no doubt be aware that Antony obviously had a word with the man upstairs, to help Arsenal get through their very difficult Match in Athens last Night, against Benfica, and he had the best seat in the Stadium, in the sky.

My current Wife and Antony's Stepmother Colette, has been comforting me with the thought that nothing can harm my Son now, and he is with his Mother and Nonna (Italian Nan):

image.thumb.png.6380957cd88c6b6d0849529476311c68.png 

Antony at 6 Months, at my Marriage to his "Yummy Mummy", Jackie-Lee, in 1981.

image.thumb.png.5d17c6b31fe25888852c353f16d1d350.png  Fast forward 23 Years, and his Grandmother's 80th Birthday Party.

image.thumb.png.48316bec13b3a52b505843068f8cf3ac.png 

Scroll back to 1984, and Antony (4) as John Boy Walton and Hayley (18 Months) as a Cabbage Patch Doll.

Myself and my Family, are now trying to arrange the best send off we can give to Antony, greatly complicated by the backdrop. of the Coronavirus pandemic..

At the same time, trying to support Hayley through the loss of her much loved big Brother, and with the awful knowledge that HD, is hanging over her head, like the "sword of Damocles."

Thank you all so much again, for your very kind messages and P,M.'s, they've been a great source of comfort to myself, and my Family.

Kind Regards,

Tom, Colette and Family.

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
3 hours ago, Sparky68 said:

Was just getting used to the warmer mornings , that was a shock this morning!

The high center is closer now, clear sky, no wind from a warm direction equals cold nights. However the days will be warm. Will be some quite different day night temps while we are under this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 hours ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Clear skies to start here. The next couple of days look fine and sunny with night frosts in places.

A cold pool that moves into the North Sea will likely bring more in the way of cloud in from the east next week.

Seen on the ECM this morning

image.thumb.gif.1ba82dfbbecf4708877841bc52398bd1.gif

It may also turn quite chilly as that cold pool introduces colder air.

Ooh it's a cold high, ouch. Although I did notice it was to our east. Didn't expect cold. It's to far south though for anything else. Do cold and cloudy, ouch.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

High pressure approaching 1040 hPa today. Glorious blue skies and light winds, lovely!  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
36 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Ooh it's a cold high, ouch. Although I did notice it was to our east. Didn't expect cold. It's to far south though for anything else. Do cold and cloudy, ouch.

Just a pocket of colder and less stable air. So instead of low teens and blues skies it will be high single figures and a lot of stratus. Hopefully this should clear and break up again by mid week as winds veer towards the south east.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.
5 hours ago, Tornadotitan said:

Spectacular sunset in Great Leighs yesterday

IMG_20210225_195248.jpg

Looks like Northern Lights stunning.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Hoping for another spectacular sunset later

IMG_20210225_172840_1.jpg

IMG_20210225_172848.jpg

IMG_20210225_172906.jpg

IMG_20210225_172917.jpg

IMG_20210225_172928.jpg

IMG_20210225_173025.jpg

IMG_20210225_180611.jpg

IMG_20210225_180617.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Beautiful day out there today, hardly a cloud and puts a spring in the step! Looks like this winter after the continued blocking for near on 7 weeks still looks like it won't be below the 1961-90 CET series...sign of the times I'm afraid.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
On 24/02/2021 at 13:54, TomSE12 said:

A few hours ago, I heard the deeply distressing news, that my Son Antony passed away, in his sleep overnight.

Antony was in the advanced stages of Huntington's Disease, which is a genetic and terminal illness.

Antony inherited the condition from his Mother, my first Wife.

He would have been 40, next Month.

He passed away at Home, where he lived with his Sister Hayley, and her Boyfriend.

I realised that Antony was only a matter of Months away, from being placed in a Care Home but thought he might still have another few Years of Life to come.

It obviously was a tremendous shock to hear the news of his passing, from my Daughter's Boyfriend.

I have just put an In Memoriam post up in that Thread, to Antony's memory. 

Regards,

Tom. 

Very sorry to hear for your loss Tom...thoughts go out for you and your family.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Much thanks for your very kind words above, Tim. 

Regards,

Tim. 

• Like 1

Posted

Just popped into the thread to see if this lovely weather is set to stay, only to see your sad news @TomSE12.  My sincere condolences to you, Colette, Hayley and family xx

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Warmest day of the year so far here with a max of 14.6c and wall to wall blue skies. The tan has started early

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

Beautiful day in capital.

64FF3D34-25F0-4A35-8A94-F078DCB13961.thumb.jpeg.c5d16eef226971c65a96f13f76efe6f2.jpegCC6BB712-048B-49BA-9DCD-C863CD60CB1D.thumb.jpeg.2d148ed431fcca2e0bfc360772da7003.jpeg9CE91953-6454-451F-AC42-EF4BF179C1FB.thumb.jpeg.1cda7a9d19bd64a862073f5085210a35.jpegEFB88B27-A905-4DBD-A4BC-17685517244D.thumb.jpeg.df8dbb0cf1d528b8c782fd3352a41996.jpeg

Helicopter crew, drone owner or very tall man. Which are you? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....
12 minutes ago, Blake Allen said:

I'd love to know to because I love your pics !

Posted
1 hour ago, Blake Allen said:

All of above kidding lol... these aren’t my images webcam. 

5aa8bbab8d9b260001eceaa9?preset=standard
WWW.DECKCHAIR.COM

Accurate live weather forecasts, monthly weather averages and beautiful live and archived HD webcam footage let you see every season, every sunrise, sunset and...

My own pics from today however fairly reminiscent to last spring let’s just hope we don’t repeat the events of 2020. The Thames was very still it’s usually quite intimidating.

EFDFF7C5-8C5A-4425-B86D-E32B49B215EF.thumb.jpeg.7204d1801d2953d0b5d3003147b7caf9.jpeg
F40F5A58-46F8-45EF-8A28-B31CA4C58B64.thumb.jpeg.68a61a6d858a32f9a66139c9493b1265.jpegEF05912C-CAF2-4815-A507-0F768943D455.thumb.jpeg.1821c52841610c9616e2eef8a752c10b.jpeg7EF2CC99-5A12-47A9-997E-81976E475CE4.thumb.jpeg.f2b5c5afe7cc5a2d84f232fe1fb2594b.jpeg

66B6CB54-9CA9-4A21-9E4B-6762460F6269.jpeg

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 4