Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

Very sad scenes here, Jackie Weaver the snowlady has pretty much gone. She didn’t sadly have the right authorities! Here is a picture of her in her better days, being covid secure too! 

Great spell here - 3rd best I’ve seen. 2010 top, 2018 second this 3rd! Now let’s have some spring warmth! 

173468C4-C468-47D9-BD0C-004F44AE61D9.jpeg

Posted
47 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Morning all,

I hope I find yourselves and your Families, well.

Woken around 3 AM, by a burst of heat caused by my Wife's insistence, of timing the C/H to come on then.

IMO, totally unnecessary with an outside temperature of around 7c.

But I shan't lecture her, as Today is a very special Day. It's our 11th Wedding Anniversary.

We actually met for the first time. in early August 1999.

I first caught sight of Colette, when shopping with my little Sis,, in our local Waitrose Supermarket.

Colette and my Sister, had been School friends in our home Town of Bromley.

She was standing next to the Baguettes, and I duly noted that she had a fine pair, of tanned Baguettes herself.

The problem was, I was married at the time, and we didn't finally get together until 2006.

Evidently, on your 11th Anniversary you should exchange items of Steel.

I had a much more romantic idea, and suggested that we have a romantic Weekend, in the Port Talbot Steelworks:

image.png.cbf9e24153d630a997cb22cfb789e147.png

For whatever reason, Colette turned her nose up at that suggestion.

Not to be outdone, I thought I would gift wrap and present her with a very important utensil, in our lives.

image.thumb.png.51c57af8c1fd993baa464d44151f6d02.png

The very knife, that we cut into our Wedding Cake with.

Didn't want to be the forgetful Husband yet again, as I'd missed out on giving her an Aluminium Baking Tray, last Year.

Wanted to give my Wife a break from cooking duties Tonight, by ordering a Take Away.

But my Wife has taken it upon herself to thoroughly disinfect everything that comes into the House, or moves.

So, I didn't really fancy a plate of Rogan Josh, washed down by half a bottle of Domestos or Zoflora!!

It maybe that Colette decides to cook that very un-Italian dish, Spag. Bol.

Being half-Italian, have stated many times it is NOT an Italian dish but very much a customised English dish.

The equivalent Italian dish is, Tagliatelle al Ragu (Bolognese Sauce) but my Wife can call it what she likes, as her version is delicious.

My Wife has Indian and Irish blood, so I'm hoping she'll decide on a sort of Indian tinged, Irish Stew, and accompanied by handfuls of fluffy white heaven. Colette's dumplings are delicious!!

image.thumb.png.e86b5212038e5701051bcbf2a88f8518.png

All joking aside, I'd like to pay a special tribute to Colette, after a pretty rocky start to our Relationship/Marriage, my Wife has really "stepped up to the plate", since I came out of Hospital in February 2016, after my Stroke in 2015.

Despite her own medical problems, Colette has been a constant source of love, care and encouragement, during my Rehabilitation, on the road to recovery. 

It's a shame that the Cold and Snowy Weather couldn't hold out for a bit longer, as it Snowed on our "Big Day", and would have been a nice reminder, of our Wedding Day. Below, is the scene outside of Sidcup Registry Office, on Monday 15th February 2010. I was given away (as a free gift) by my Sister, Colette's School friend. My Wife was given away by her Brother. My soon to be Brother-in-Law greeted me, with the following very ominous line:

"Welcome to the Family Tom, and you're welcome to it." Whatever did he mean, I thought? 

image.thumb.png.c97228604124a263c8225c8d5588d57b.png

There was a very light shower of Graupel as we had our photos taken.

It's hard to make out in that photo, and although both Colette and myself had a little Confetti, in our hair, it was still nice to see a little of Nature's own Confetti, too.

Below, are the rather innocuous looking archive charts, just before our Wedding took place.

But a pool of coldish Upper Air, lay just to the N.E. of Sidcup, N.W. Kent, at the time.

image.thumb.png.81762a8711f0e13a70b3f18be92133da.png image.thumb.png.990e10dd2cec57bcba86f108a11e510c.png

Out of interest, what kind of Weather conditions did S.E. Regional Members experience on their Wedding Days?

Regards,

Tom.  :drunk-emoji:

Morning Tom,

well on my wedding day it snowed as well, only difference was it was the 22nd April .

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Never thought I'd say 3c felt warm last night but it did.

2 cm at midnight with still pretty much a full grass cover.

Now at 8 am there's nothing.

6.3c 5.9c dp 1 mm 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Just a quickie from me, now.

I had an Email from S.E. Meteorologist. Ian Currie, Yesterday.

Mr. Currie has asked me to pass on his thanks to those  4 S.E. Members, who took up his very generous Book offer.

I won't name those 4 Members involved but Ian hopes you're all enjoying the package, that he sent you.

Ian also stated that he only had around 1 Cm of Snow, at his home location of Heath Common, near Storrington, in West Sussex, which lasted just the 2 Days.

He stated that he doesn't expect another Wintry blast, from the East but when I spoke to him a couple of Months ago, he was expecting a colder than average February. 

Regards,

Tom.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

A very welcome change in the weather, doesn't feel horrible outside now  8c.

Edited by Freeze

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 hours ago, Blazerblue said:

The big thaw has arrived, along with the rain. River levels risen very high overnight and the flooded fields are overflowing again, oh what joy. Still ice everywhere on pavements but not quite as bad as it has been. 

Was expecting no snow left by now, but can still see patches of it that survived the night, even through the rain, on the hills. Not sure about the garden yet, haven't looked.

Posted
2 hours ago, Jamie M said:

Never thought I'd say 3c felt warm last night but it did.

2 cm at midnight with still pretty much a full grass cover.

Now at 8 am there's nothing.

6.3c 5.9c dp 1 mm 

Personally I felt colder yesterday, than I felt through the cold spell, I'm weird I think lol. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Angus Mcoatup said:

Morning Tom,

well on my wedding day it snowed as well, only difference was it was the 22nd April .

My parents were married on 29 March 1952 in Harrow, NW London, during a noteworthy snow event.  Deep lying snow in London.

Mum's second batch015a.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted

I married during the month of September, just an ordinary day weather wise. Bit of sun bit of cloud no rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!

Well after a cold spell which (for me) lingered a little longer after the snow stopped than I'd have liked, normality returns. Actually feels quite pleasant in the sunshine. Not sad to see the back of the icy pavements either, which nearly had me on my backside several times.

No appetite for further cold at this point, since it'll be the back end of Feb before it arrives. Wouldn't say no to a BBQ in the garden before a decent thunderstorm rolls in though.

Bit of weather to get through before I can do that I reckon!

Posted

grey murk here, rain earlier but now everything feels cold and damp not the best weather for achy bones! seems the us is getting hamered by cold and snow my nan used to say give it a week and we will get it here? hope all are safe and well, managed to get taken for local jaunt to thorpeness earlier house in the clouds looked stunning against grey sky. below pic was done last year

img_0276+copy.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, suffolk lady said:

grey murk here, rain earlier but now everything feels cold and damp not the best weather for achy bones! seems the us is getting hamered by cold and snow my nan used to say give it a week and we will get it here? hope all are safe and well, managed to get taken for local jaunt to thorpeness earlier house in the clouds looked stunning against grey sky. below pic was done last year

img_0276+copy.jpg

Yep I feel colder in this weather, than in cold weather. It's strange I find, but it always happens. A proper cold spell always feels much warmer than it is. To do with low DP I think.

Posted

Sun finally making an appearance, most lying snow has now gone, still a few icy paths though, hopefully the sun can work its magic and get rid of those sharpish.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
16 hours ago, lewis028 said:

I Have been really impressed by the cold spell over the last week, the dew points were incredibly low, which prevented scraping the car at 4:30am for work and today it felt mild at 3c was nice to drive home and have some window washers on the car working tonight. I’d love another cold spell before spring but would not be too disappointed if we start our mild warm up to spring and summer & hopefully return to a more normal Life this year ??

Yes that was the great thing about having low dew points.. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Good spells of sunshine this afternoon. Much milder now with temperatures reaching 11c.

Posted

Crazy how warm it feels no need for a coat, this in summer we’d be freezing. In 48 hours gone from -2C to 12C.

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Evening all,

My Wife stuck to her guns and prepared us, a lovely Wedding Anniversary meal.

image.thumb.png.4f7812874e6d636899c477954a61a21b.png

She came up with her version of Spag. Bol, and when it's as good as it was, Colette can call it what she wants.

I blame my Wife's cooking for my body shape, going pear-shaped.

In Weather news, we're still on course for a much warmer Weekend than the one just passed.

Regards,

Tom.  

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 3

Posted

Clearly much variability in the models a week away but I'd be a happy man if this verified. Bring on an early prolonged warm, dry and sunny Spring please weather controls master above.

Pressure.png

Edited by Gavin Plummer
  • Like 2

Morning all,

12.6c yesterday here.. INCREDIBLE! And in the sun felt amazing!!! While the cold spell was cold and very cold at times including lots of snow in places, it won't go down in history books for my location. Ive experienced much colder and prolonged cold spells here.  Winter as a whole here has been "average" with what you would typically expect in a UK winter.

Really enjoyed the warmth yesterday in the Sun. Beats -1 and -6 Windchill for sure! 

Beginning to slowly think about growing season this year.. Plenty to do and plant.. get seeds germinating start of March etc.. 

• Like 2

Posted

I've taken on some walking challenges recently just to stop me losing the plot spending another lockdown in a small flat - and I have to say walking in that easterly wind on Friday and Saturday was brutal! So cold in fact that I've ordered myself a snood/balaclava type thing as my face actually hurt. Being on top of various Chiltern hills doesn't help. Nice to experience some proper cold though and that snow/graupel showers where loads of large, ice crusted snowflakes stuck to my coat for ages was a real highlight of the cold spell.

Feel like I'm done with winter now and ready for spring. It was lovely being outdoors in a bit of sun and 12.c yesterday. Really looking forward to opening the allotment up this weekend and planting tomato and chilli seeds. What are your planting plans? I'm looking for a growing challenge, something new but don't know what yet!

• Like 1