Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

So just done a 7.6 mile walk over and around shooter Hill and area here in southeast London. Was amazed to see how much lying snow has remained.quite alot at Oxleas Wood as well 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
19 minutes ago, zubzero said:

It rained here with a temp of 0.C and a dew point of -7C sum up this frustrating borefest of a Winter to a T. Glad its finally over. Hope the coming spring/summer is good for storms even they have been rare and poor lately.

Uppers must be positive.

Posted

Here’s a couple of pics my friend sent me of this morning - near Boxley, (Maidstone) Kent.  He said it was virtually impassable in places from the drifting snow, with cars stuck, until the tractor snow plough came along. 

5DA799E0-CEF2-4AF9-986D-D3ABD9CADB3B.jpeg

50E6C838-23FE-46AA-B4E6-4B4BC23887C8.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted
3 hours ago, Lord Grogon said:

Just took the kids to Brentwood for a run around. Still chuffing freezing with the wind chill. Plenty of snow around too. 
When will C London hit 20 degrees? Well my WeatherPro App is showing 17 for a few consecutive days starting next weekend. Given these apps tend to blend out raw data after a few days, I’m going to be bold.

Monday 22 Feb will hit the magic mark. 

I don’t think you realise how extremely exceptional that is, until 2019 there was no record of 20C+ temps in winter time. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, Daniel* said:

I don’t think you realise how extremely exceptional that is, until 2019 there was no record of 20C+ temps in winter time. 

I think somewhere exceeded 21C. Quite remarkable!

Posted

British weather is weird, we are finally in positive temps after being negative for ages, with a cold wind. But it feels colder today than it has done.

2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

When do you start sowing your chilli and pepper seeds? I have an electric propagator with light, wondering if it’s too early or a good time to sow

Chillis I do once the last frost is gone.. Although you could start them in a greenhouse and if we do get a rouge frost run a heater in there. 

They crop fairly late or I tend to as if you leave them to mature more they are hotter but you can loose some taste to spice..

Edited by Surrey
  • Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

British weather is weird, we are finally in positive temps after being negative for ages, with a cold wind. But it feels colder today than it has done.

I’d imagine the dry continental air has been replaced with more humid moist air. As a result in cold weather, even if the mild air is warmer than the dry air, it’ll feel colder as this increases conduction of heat from the body. In the summer it’s the reverse 

Edited by Coopsy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Copious amounts of snow and ice days

Had best drifts of the week today with the change of wind direction. Multiple roads around here not passable. Luckily my trusty £500 X Trail got me home.

Photos taken by the wife after dropping some shopping off for my father

received_178559937017167.jpeg

received_426987521880877.jpeg

received_224037546071341.jpeg

• Like 9

Posted
1 minute ago, Coopsy said:

I’d imagine the dry continental air has been replaced with more humid moist air. As a result in cold weather, even if the mild air is warmer than the dry air, it’ll feel colder as this increases conduction of heat from the body. In the summer it’s the reverse 

Still have a -6 DP here. Which is kind of where we were most of the time. But the air certainly feels different, more heavy. You can tell it wants to rain. Except it drys up before getting here still .

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

GFS still throwing up these kind of charts for the end of February - beginning of March. Something to keep an eye on

gfs-0-348.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
Just now, Carl Honeysett said:

Metoffice, have gone back to a colder than average  outlook, going towards the end of February, with temps  at around  or below  average 

Interesting.. We should start to see some eye candy charts in FI then

• Like 1

Posted
30 minutes ago, NewEra21 said:

GFS still throwing up these kind of charts for the end of February - beginning of March. Something to keep an eye on

gfs-0-348.png

High needs to be further north, that would be cold and dry.  All speculative at that range of course and still interesting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, sun and snow.
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

Kew Gardens reached 21C it was real nutty.

Broke the winter record twice in consecutive days. In relative term it felt like a 30 degree heatwave given the time of the year.

I agree it’s highly unlikely we’ll get there this year. But we seem to be breaking or close to breaking a lot of max records in recent years so who knows? Some of the model runs this weekend have the 10 degree isotherm covering large parts of the uk from next weekend, comparable to 2019. 

• Like 1

Posted

If you want to see an example of extreme swings of temperature in a continental setting, look at Amarillo, Texas; -26C tomorrow morning going to +22C next week!

• Like 1

Posted

Rain just about to get here, or I assume rain anyway, as that's what everyone else is getting. Temp 3c dp -5c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 hours ago, Surrey said:

Chillis I do once the last frost is gone.. Although you could start them in a greenhouse and if we do get a rouge frost run a heater in there. 

They crop fairly late or I tend to as if you leave them to mature more they are hotter but you can loose some taste to spice..

Cheers ?? I’ll start them off this week in the boiler cupboard, they germinate within a week in there lol. 

Enjoyed a beautiful day here, loads of people out on their cross-country skis, plenty of ice skating going on, too. A real warm up coming, from a possible  low of -20°C tonight, to +10°C next weekend. 

My brother lives in Austin, Texas and it’s -4°C there today as a maximum temperature, going down to -12°C tonight, crazy! 

CE25271B-4AF5-4A7C-93D6-EE411C7AE585.jpeg

4DDDCD51-0101-41F6-8F09-AC7D0068A790.jpeg

6AC6836A-2B5F-499F-9394-F0DF2BAABD00.jpeg

39A489C1-F7B3-4A89-8302-3DAAB21856D2.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted

I Have been really impressed by the cold spell over the last week, the dew points were incredibly low, which prevented scraping the car at 4:30am for work and today it felt mild at 3c was nice to drive home and have some window washers on the car working tonight. I’d love another cold spell before spring but would not be too disappointed if we start our mild warm up to spring and summer & hopefully return to a more normal Life this year ??

Edited by lewis028
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Morning all,

I hope I find yourselves and your Families, well.

Woken around 3 AM, by a burst of heat caused by my Wife's insistence, of timing the C/H to come on then.

IMO, totally unnecessary with an outside temperature of around 7c.

But I shan't lecture her, as Today is a very special Day. It's our 11th Wedding Anniversary.

We actually met for the first time. in early August 1999.

I first caught sight of Colette, when shopping with my little Sis,, in our local Waitrose Supermarket.

Colette and my Sister, had been School friends in our home Town of Bromley.

She was standing next to the Baguettes, and I duly noted that she had a fine pair, of tanned Baguettes herself.

The problem was, I was married at the time, and we didn't finally get together until 2006.

Evidently, on your 11th Anniversary you should exchange items of Steel.

I had a much more romantic idea, and suggested that we have a romantic Weekend, in the Port Talbot Steelworks:

image.png.cbf9e24153d630a997cb22cfb789e147.png

For whatever reason, Colette turned her nose up at that suggestion.

Not to be outdone, I thought I would gift wrap and present her with a very important utensil, in our lives.

image.thumb.png.51c57af8c1fd993baa464d44151f6d02.png

The very knife, that we cut into our Wedding Cake with.

Didn't want to be the forgetful Husband yet again, as I'd missed out on giving her an Aluminium Baking Tray, last Year.

Wanted to give my Wife a break from cooking duties Tonight, by ordering a Take Away.

But my Wife has taken it upon herself to thoroughly disinfect everything that comes into the House, or moves.

So, I didn't really fancy a plate of Rogan Josh, washed down by half a bottle of Domestos or Zoflora!!

It maybe that Colette decides to cook that very un-Italian dish, Spag. Bol.

Being half-Italian, have stated many times it is NOT an Italian dish but very much a customised English dish.

The equivalent Italian dish is, Tagliatelle al Ragu (Bolognese Sauce) but my Wife can call it what she likes, as her version is delicious.

My Wife has Indian and Irish blood, so I'm hoping she'll decide on a sort of Indian tinged, Irish Stew, and accompanied by handfuls of fluffy white heaven. Colette's dumplings are delicious!!

image.thumb.png.e86b5212038e5701051bcbf2a88f8518.png

All joking aside, I'd like to pay a special tribute to Colette, after a pretty rocky start to our Relationship/Marriage, my Wife has really "stepped up to the plate", since I came out of Hospital in February 2016, after my Stroke in 2015.

Despite her own medical problems, Colette has been a constant source of love, care and encouragement, during my Rehabilitation, on the road to recovery. 

It's a shame that the Cold and Snowy Weather couldn't hold out for a bit longer, as it Snowed on our "Big Day", and would have been a nice reminder, of our Wedding Day. Below, is the scene outside of Sidcup Registry Office, on Monday 15th February 2010. I was given away (as a free gift) by my Sister, Colette's School friend. My Wife was given away by her Brother. My soon to be Brother-in-Law greeted me, with the following very ominous line:

"Welcome to the Family Tom, and you're welcome to it." Whatever did he mean, I thought? 

image.thumb.png.c97228604124a263c8225c8d5588d57b.png

There was a very light shower of Graupel as we had our photos taken.

It's hard to make out in that photo, and although both Colette and myself had a little Confetti, in our hair, it was still nice to see a little of Nature's own Confetti, too.

Below, are the rather innocuous looking archive charts, just before our Wedding took place.

But a pool of coldish Upper Air, lay just to the N.E. of Sidcup, N.W. Kent, at the time.

image.thumb.png.81762a8711f0e13a70b3f18be92133da.png image.thumb.png.990e10dd2cec57bcba86f108a11e510c.png

Out of interest, what kind of Weather conditions did S.E. Regional Members experience on their Wedding Days?

Regards,

Tom.  :drunk-emoji:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
10 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Morning all,

I hope I find yourselves and your Families, well.

Woken around 3 AM, by a burst of heat caused by my Wife's insistence, of timing the C/H to come on then.

IMO, totally unnecessary with an outside temperature of around 7c.

But I shan't lecture her, as Today is a very special Day. It's our 11th Wedding Anniversary.

We actually met for the first time. in early August 1999.

I first caught sight of Colette, when shopping with my little Sis,, in our local Waitrose Supermarket.

Colette and my Sister, had been School friends in our home Town of Bromley.

She was standing next to the Baguettes, and I duly noted that she had a fine pair, of tanned Baguettes herself.

The problem was, I was married at the time, and we didn't finally get together until 2006.

Evidently, on your 11th Anniversary you should exchange items of Steel.

I had a much more romantic idea, and suggested that we have a romantic Weekend, in the Port Talbot Steelworks:

image.png.cbf9e24153d630a997cb22cfb789e147.png

For whatever reason, Colette turned her nose up at that suggestion.

Not to be outdone, I thought I would gift wrap and present her with a very important utensil, in our lives.

image.thumb.png.51c57af8c1fd993baa464d44151f6d02.png

The very knife, that we cut into our Wedding Cake with.

Didn't want to be the forgetful Husband yet again, as I'd missed out on giving her an Aluminium Baking Tray, last Year.

Wanted to give my Wife a break from cooking duties Tonight, by ordering a Take Away.

But my Wife has taken it upon herself to thoroughly disinfect everything that comes into the House, or moves.

So, I didn't really fancy a plate of Rogan Josh, washed down by half a bottle of Domestos or Zoflora!!

It maybe that Colette decides to cook that very un-Italian dish, Spag. Bol.

Being half-Italian, have stated many times it is NOT an Italian dish but very much a customised English dish.

The equivalent Italian dish is, Tagliatelle al Ragu (Bolognese Sauce) but my Wife can call it what she likes, as her version is delicious.

My Wife has Indian and Irish blood, so I'm hoping she'll decide on a sort of Indian tinged, Irish Stew, and accompanied by handfuls of fluffy white heaven. Colette's dumplings are delicious!!

image.thumb.png.e86b5212038e5701051bcbf2a88f8518.png

All joking aside, I'd like to pay a special tribute to Colette, after a pretty rocky start to our Relationship/Marriage, my Wife has really "stepped up to the plate", since I came out of Hospital in February 2016, after my Stroke in 2015.

Despite her own medical problems, Colette has been a constant source of love, care and encouragement, during my Rehabilitation, on the road to recovery. 

It's a shame that the Cold and Snowy Weather couldn't hold out for a bit longer, as it Snowed on our "Big Day", and would have been a nice reminder, of our Wedding Day. Below, is the scene outside of Sidcup Registry Office, on Monday 15th February 2010. I was given away (as a free gift) by my Sister, Colette's School friend. My Wife was given away by her Brother. My soon to be Brother-in-Law greeted me, with the following very ominous line:

"Welcome to the Family Tom, and you're welcome to it." Whatever did he mean, I thought? 

image.thumb.png.c97228604124a263c8225c8d5588d57b.png

There was a very light shower of Graupel as we had our photos taken.

It's hard to make out in that photo, and although both Colette and myself had a little Confetti, in our hair, it was still nice to see a little of Nature's own Confetti, too.

Below, are the rather innocuous looking archive charts, just before our Wedding took place.

But a pool of coldish Upper Air, lay just to the N.E. of Sidcup, N.W. Kent, at the time.

image.thumb.png.81762a8711f0e13a70b3f18be92133da.png image.thumb.png.990e10dd2cec57bcba86f108a11e510c.png

Out of interest, what kind of Weather conditions did S.E. Regional Members experience on their Wedding Days?

Regards,

Tom.  :drunk-emoji:

Morning

Still got a few Years to that day but I have been to one wedding, my godmothers. In terms of weather it was a cold, February day, I remember seeing snow lightly over the fields in veiw, a light dusting.Considering I was about 6 at the time and remember the snow more than the actual wedding lol. 

Xander

• Like 1

Posted

The big thaw has arrived, along with the rain. River levels risen very high overnight and the flooded fields are overflowing again, oh what joy. Still ice everywhere on pavements but not quite as bad as it has been.