Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
10 hours ago, Ian Docwra said:

I think over the SE as a whole they are getting hotter in general, obviously with some blips.  It's now not noteworthy to have temperatures above 30c, whereas it previously was.  The absolute maximum reached is less important by far than averages, and on that measure our summers have become warmer steadily, along with Europe.  We can still have cold, yes, but it's not unusual to see a whole winter go by without lying snow now.  SSTs are rising slowly but surely and don't really respond to occasional cold spells. 

I don't take my climate information from the mainstream media.  I imagine occasional very cold spells will still occur - they will just become rarer.

Overall not particularly so imo this century the summers really haven’t been great, what we’re seeing is more short heat shocks which are hotter than they used to be in past. And yes it was a lovely sunrise, clouded over now still cold.

BE42812D-DC85-475E-ADB3-9F7BE9C27421.thumb.jpeg.018eccdaf22af1d37bc4f0e81d5d281a.jpeg

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
11 hours ago, Ian Docwra said:

We had a number of occasions earlier this winter where the NE wind brought rain at 2/3C, so with a normal SST we could have seen very different results.  With our summers getting hotter (and winters milder, come to that), the SSTs can only rise slowly but surely.  This makes marginal situations veer towards rain and the arrival of freezing air less common.  

UK summers are not really getting hotter, though. There have been a few notable heatwaves but they have largely been very brief affairs in a sea of the usual mediocrity. Also, a fair chunk of the UK have just seen their snowiest winter for quite some years (and it’s not over yet).

• Thanks 1

Posted

Still several inches of snow/ice here, hoping it warms enough today to melt it. Radar showing rain/sleet overhead, but not a drop. At least its reached 1c, which is higher than its been in days, but that wind is making it feel alot colder.

Posted
7 minutes ago, staplehurst said:

Here's the longer-term trends in UK summers and winters, the dashed-black line is the running 30-year average

UKTmean.png

Would not have liked to be around for the summers in the 1960's wow jut yuck

Interesting thing on those graphs is the Severe Winters and Hot Summers in the 1947 and 1995 Summers and Winters as well. 

Can clearly see why the Climate Brigade got their drums out as well in the early 1990' looking at the Summer Graphs. Not many below average summers since then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

Morning all

This will probably be my last post of this fruitful spell IMBY

8th day wth lying snow. All be it rather patchy now but still good cover in north facing areas.

Dropped to -2.0c

Currently-0.2c

I've had 4 ice days out of the 7 days.(top temp was only 1.5c )

Ground is Rock hard water buts frozen solid.

If this had continued there wouldn't have been good for the birds.

Fully expecting the snow to be gone by tomorow morning wth plus temps inbound.

It's been a very enjoyable week.

See you all for the nxt chase . Bye for now.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

10:00 obs

Overcast

Ground still completely covered with snow, completely gone from roofs in front.

0.6c -6.1c dp (min of -0.8c)

8th consecutive day with snow cover

• Like 2

Posted

Although I didn’t get much accumulation here, we have managed to keep some snow cover for 8 days. That’s pretty impressive by any standards. I think I’d have to go back to Dec 10 to match it.

As a whole this winter has been significantly better. Much more seasonal with plenty of frosts and colder days. The only thing I’ve missed here is significant snow fall but how many times in the last 40 years has my area had a foot of snow? I don’t think it’s as many as I try to believe! 87, 91 and 10 are 3 I’m confident on but maybe there were others? 

Given the trend over recent years to have a cold spell in March, I’d not rule out us seeing more snow before we start focusing on heatwaves and thunderstorms! 

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, Surrey said:

Morning all, Happy Valentines Day!!!!! No restaurants this year!!! Time to test those cooking skills out gents  Thankfully working in a Restaurant kitchen and being a support chef to the Head in another back in my working history,  my cooking is very fine tuned!  

Loving the look of some warm weather.. The hunt for me begins in a few weeks for the first 20c but that COULD happen before March! 

Roll on the 30 + days and long evenings with a BBQ. Hopefully in a beer garden somewhere to with all our family and friends.. I actually can't wait.

Bye cold, been nice to see you (sort of) but ideally time for some warmer weather now and GROWING SEASON BEGINS!!!!! 

Quick competition on the first date we see 20C in say C. London. I'll go with 15th March, pure stab in the dark

Posted

Still several inches of snow in our garden despite a thaw, impressed it’ll be a week tonight since it first started settling

Posted

very cold, very windy, snow still on the ground and on some roofs, we had small snow flurry during the night!! is this the end of the cold? or maybe winter could rear its head again many a year seen daffodils or crocus amongst the snow 

Posted

Well with today being the last day of cold i think it’s time to sum up this cold spell.

Days of falling snow = 6

Days of lying snow = 7+ (Still plenty around)

Ice Days ✅ 

Icicles ✅ (The best since Feb 91!)

Biting easterly wind ✅

Overall I’d give it 8/10 tbh. I missed the 2018 spell as i was on holiday so for me this has easily been the best and snowiest spell since December 2010! And to see videos of the sea at Southend frozen i think demonstrates how cold it has been!

I’d welcome another beast before the end of winter but if it’s not to be then I’ve had my snow fix so roll on some warmth

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Seems the mild air is already making inroads here, up to 5c now after a low of 2.3c 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, sun and snow.

Just took the kids to Brentwood for a run around. Still chuffing freezing with the wind chill. Plenty of snow around too. 
When will C London hit 20 degrees? Well my WeatherPro App is showing 17 for a few consecutive days starting next weekend. Given these apps tend to blend out raw data after a few days, I’m going to be bold.

Monday 22 Feb will hit the magic mark. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Only just reached 1c here, DP still -8 snow still in front garden, back garden, and on the pavement opposite, melted from most roofs now though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The temperature is recovering here now, up to 4c with thick high cloud and a strong southerly wind. It strangely doesn’t feel that cold, but I guess it wouldn’t after the last week.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

The temperature is recovering here now, up to 4c with thick high cloud and a still southerly wind m. It strangely doesn’t feel that cold, but I guess it wouldn’t after the last week.

Captain, I’m just 35m east of you, it’s 2c here, and still quite raw in the wind.

Looks like it’s going to rain or snow shortly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
6 minutes ago, Angus Mcoatup said:

Captain, I’m just 35m east of you, it’s 2c here, and still quite raw in the wind.

If it rains watch your step out, could well be icy.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

image.thumb.png.cfb7715cebdc19c8c16608c2ae8f464e.png

Battle of the airmasses 2?

crazy temp difference over 500 miles or so as per gfs at end of month.

21st May for 20 degrees my punt.

Posted
36 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

The temperature is recovering here now, up to 4c with thick high cloud and a still southerly wind m. It strangely doesn’t feel that cold, but I guess it wouldn’t after the last week.

Posted

It rained here with a temp of 0.C and a dew point of -7C sum up this frustrating borefest of a Winter to a T. Glad its finally over. Hope the coming spring/summer is good for storms even they have been rare and poor lately.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Still got some snow lying, mostly on grass, here too. Considering it’s been a week since it started settling on there, I think that’s pretty good going. It’s also still pretty chilly out there too. All in all a decent spell. 7/10. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
8 hours ago, Surrey said:

Morning all, Happy Valentines Day!!!!! No restaurants this year!!! Time to test those cooking skills out gents  Thankfully working in a Restaurant kitchen and being a support chef to the Head in another back in my working history,  my cooking is very fine tuned!  

Loving the look of some warm weather.. The hunt for me begins in a few weeks for the first 20c but that COULD happen before March! 

Roll on the 30 + days and long evenings with a BBQ. Hopefully in a beer garden somewhere to with all our family and friends.. I actually can't wait.

Bye cold, been nice to see you (sort of) but ideally time for some warmer weather now and GROWING SEASON BEGINS!!!!! 

When do you start sowing your chilli and pepper seeds? I have an electric propagator with light, wondering if it’s too early or a good time to sow