Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

The front is being squeezed out of existence over us. Such a pity as with the right circumstances this could have been a serious breakdown snowfall. Maybe i am being sentimental but when i was young in the 70s when we had cold breakdowns, more often than not the cold spells would go out with a bang. A lot of snow and then at the end a period of rain which i would always curse. Ah well  , sign of changing climate i suppose.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
14 minutes ago, minus10 said:

The front is being squeezed out of existence over us. Such a pity as with the right circumstances this could have been a serious breakdown snowfall. Maybe i am being sentimental but when i was young in the 70s when we had cold breakdowns, more often than not the cold spells would go out with a bang. A lot of snow and then at the end a period of rain which i would always curse. Ah well  , sign of changing climate i suppose.

This front isn't the break down though, it's still very cold tomorrow, the break down is on Sunday evening. But looks to be a snowless one.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Met office have changed their outlook, no quick return of the cold weather, might have to wait until end of Feb and into March now.

Posted
30 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

This front isn't the break down though, it's still very cold tomorrow, the break down is on Sunday evening. But looks to be a snowless one.

Yes, just the wind swinging to the S and gradually warming.

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

2 days in 1987 with ice days recorded!?!...that can't be right.

Late to the party, catching up on posts - the year relates to when the winter started (so for Jan 1987 you'd be looking at 1986). This winter (up to 11th Feb) is listed as 2020 etc...

• Like 2

Posted

The “breakdown” sums up this cold spell for many - very underwhelming.  

With the AO being so negative through most of the winter as well as a SSW, to max out at 1.5cm snow depth is disappointing. 

One year, it will happen for us.

Edited by mulzy
  • Like 6

Posted
35 minutes ago, mulzy said:

With the AO being so negative through most of the winter as well as a SSW, to max out at 1.5cm snow depth is disappointing. 

Less likely every year, sadly, with the SSTs increasing as they are.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow
34 minutes ago, mulzy said:

While I can't complain as I've been fairly lucky this past week snow wise. But just touching on what you were saying, this winter overall does feel like a complete waste in the grand scheme of things.

We've had no raging PV all winter long basically, yet we've just struggled to get deep cold to our shores all winter bar the past week. Even during the coldish spells over Christmas/New year when the north did see snow, it was never actually that cold.

So many years we'd be absolutely delighted with no raging PV and a SSW to boot, but the puzzle pieces have never quite fallen into place. It's a shame really as this winter really did have all the ingredients to be very special!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Last day, another maximum of 1c, so no ice days here during this spell. It did feel quite bitter in the wind earlier.

Posted
37 minutes ago, NewEra21 said:

While I can't complain as I've been fairly lucky this past week snow wise. But just touching on what you were saying, this winter overall does feel like a complete waste in the grand scheme of things.

We've had no raging PV all winter long basically, yet we've just struggled to get deep cold to our shores all winter bar the past week. Even during the coldish spells over Christmas/New year when the north did see snow, it was never actually that cold.

So many years we'd be absolutely delighted with no raging PV and a SSW to boot, but the puzzle pieces have never quite fallen into place. It's a shame really as this winter really did have all the ingredients to be very special!

We had a number of occasions earlier this winter where the NE wind brought rain at 2/3C, so with a normal SST we could have seen very different results.  With our summers getting hotter (and winters milder, come to that), the SSTs can only rise slowly but surely.  This makes marginal situations veer towards rain and the arrival of freezing air less common.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
1 minute ago, Ian Docwra said:

We had a number of occasions earlier this winter where the NE wind brought rain at 2/3C, so with a normal SST we could have seen very different results.  With our summers getting hotter (and winters milder, come to that), the SSTs can only rise slowly but surely.  This makes marginal situations veer towards rain and the arrival of freezing air less common.  

Are our summers really getting hotter though? I beg to differ. A run of a few warmer than average years doesn’t mean they are getting hotter.

2003 when we saw 38c, people thought that would be the new normal, only to then not see it bettered for nearly 20 years. If anything our August’s have become cooler according to my local bookkeeping over the many years. 1976 has not been repeated since either. Summers of 2018 or 2006 are the only ones to have come close. July in particular. 

As for cold. December 2010, March 2013 and the 2018 BFTE has proven we can still achieve severe cold. It’s only a matter of time until we see a repeat of 62-63 or 1947. Maybe not this decade, but in the next 50 years we could see a year comparable to it. Climate has not changed as much as we are being told by the mainstream media. 

• Like 9

Posted
42 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Are our summers really getting hotter though? I beg to differ. A run of a few warmer than average years doesn’t mean they are getting hotter.

2003 when we saw 38c, people thought that would be the new normal, only to then not see it bettered for nearly 20 years. If anything our August’s have become cooler according to my local bookkeeping over the many years. 1976 has not been repeated since either. Summers of 2018 or 2006 are the only ones to have come close. July in particular. 

As for cold. December 2010, March 2013 and the 2018 BFTE has proven we can still achieve severe cold. It’s only a matter of time until we see a repeat of 62-63 or 1947. Maybe not this decade, but in the next 50 years we could see a year comparable to it. Climate has not changed as much as we are being told by the mainstream media. 

I think over the SE as a whole they are getting hotter in general, obviously with some blips.  It's now not noteworthy to have temperatures above 30c, whereas it previously was.  The absolute maximum reached is less important by far than averages, and on that measure our summers have become warmer steadily, along with Europe.  We can still have cold, yes, but it's not unusual to see a whole winter go by without lying snow now.  SSTs are rising slowly but surely and don't really respond to occasional cold spells. 

I don't take my climate information from the mainstream media.  I imagine occasional very cold spells will still occur - they will just become rarer.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow
1 hour ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Exactly, and just to add to the cold part. This winter it's not the case of there wasn't enough cold air knocking around the northern hemisphere. Unfortunately for us it just set up so that it spent the majority of the winter over the Asian side, Japan for example has had a lot of extreme cold and snow this winter. If the dice had landed more favourably that could easily have been us and Europe!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
4 minutes ago, NewEra21 said:

Exactly, and just to add to the cold part. This winter it's not the case of there wasn't enough cold air knocking around the northern hemisphere. Unfortunately for us it just set up so that it spent the majority of the winter over the Asian side, Japan for example has had a lot of extreme cold and snow this winter. If the dice had landed more favourably that could easily have been us and Europe!

Spot on. 

Yep, Siberia has had an anomalously cold winter 20/21. Amazing how much the cold rapidly replenished the heat of last summer over there, and also how very quickly the Laptev and East Siberian seas froze up. Nature has its way of fighting back that’s for sure! 

This was a lovely spell of cold, but didn’t quite get the jackpot side of the dice roll this year. 

I’m no mystic meg. But I’ve got a feeling that this summer could be very mediocre, after a run of a few good ones. Usually how it goes. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Well, 82% chance of Snow..pond looks like narnia.. 

• Like 2

Morning all, Happy Valentines Day!!!!! No restaurants this year!!! Time to test those cooking skills out gents  Thankfully working in a Restaurant kitchen and being a support chef to the Head in another back in my working history,  my cooking is very fine tuned!  

Loving the look of some warm weather.. The hunt for me begins in a few weeks for the first 20c but that COULD happen before March! 

Roll on the 30 + days and long evenings with a BBQ. Hopefully in a beer garden somewhere to with all our family and friends.. I actually can't wait.

Bye cold, been nice to see you (sort of) but ideally time for some warmer weather now and GROWING SEASON BEGINS!!!!! 

Edited by Surrey
  • Like 5