Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow
2 minutes ago, Mizzle said:

I have a feeling after spending the last week being too far West, NE Hants is now too far East

Always the way of things in storm season! I mean I only moved to these parts a year ago. Lived in chilterns my whole life, and seen many a thunderstorm drift past the house to only have to go in the car and chase. Although last summer was incredible, sure, the midlanders and northerners seem to get the best homegrown storms now and have done for years, but there was one day last mid august which was unbelievable for lightning and rain and I got it all recorded! 

• Like 2

Posted

14z Obs 

Temp -1c

Dewp -11c

Now that is impressive, I know loads are dissing this cold spell but it takes something to get those sort of temp/dp spreads in this country.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

And so my final temperature observation for this spell comes out at 1.4c at 14:00. All goes in the weather journal tomorrow! As always I've really enjoyed everyone's contributions these past few days, never fails to put a smile on my face to see people get rewarded by the weather gods for their patience (which is especially true after this winter, which held a lot of promise from the outset but has only just delivered widely)! Love the photos especially.

I've also appreciated the distraction from the times we are currently living in. As a young person it's been stressful, and this has helped a lot. Anyway, I look forward to the next time this place really gets buzzing from anticipation again, whether it's from a renewed push of cold later in the month, or from thunderstorms during the convective season!

Take care in the meantime everyone.

Edited by LightningLover
  • Like 9

Posted
10 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

14z Obs 

Temp -1c

Dewp -11c

Now that is impressive, I know loads are dissing this cold spell but it takes something to get those sort of temp/dp spreads in this country.

Absolutely.  I have 60% humidity outside now - very low for a February day with light cloud.

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, UKSupercell said:

Always the way of things in storm season! I mean I only moved to these parts a year ago. Lived in chilterns my whole life, and seen many a thunderstorm drift past the house to only have to go in the car and chase. Although last summer was incredible, sure, the midlanders and northerners seem to get the best homegrown storms now and have done for years, but there was one day last mid august which was unbelievable for lightning and rain and I got it all recorded! 

I wouldn't rule out some light snow today but of course anything now will be short-lived on the ground with impending warmer air.  The risk of glaze is there, though, with the ground now frozen (at last).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.
15 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

14z Obs 

Temp -1c

Dewp -11c

Yep get the right cold temps, beautifully frozen and dry, then what happens its goes wrong and mild just takes over with no fight.

This is the most disappointing end to a good cold spell, would never have believed it could fizzle out in this way.

If you now got last weekends rain and snow now, that would be something special.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
7 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Splash icicles probably, would have been puddles as the snow melted, 

Posted

The Met Office's predictions of a return to cold weather after a very mild week ahead are rapidly being watered-down, with it now being deemed unlikely. 

Posted
7 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Splash icicles probably, would have been puddles as the snow melted, 

More likely a burst pipe or broken drain - the amount of ice there couldn't have come simply from melted snow with a large puddle still remaining.  We have a similar thing close to me on a road that leads up to the downs - the drains can't cope with winter groundwater and the road is a river to varying degrees most of the time.

DSC06947.jpeg

Posted
20 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Puddles in the road splashing from oncoming traffic and freezing on impact hitting objects above ground causing icicle effect. Loads of it around here on every flood prone road. 

Edited by Polaris

Posted
3 minutes ago, Polaris said:

Friend in Kidlington, Oxford has just messaged me it’s snowing lightly.

That ppn out west sure does have an aggressive movement east considering the blocking cold. 

Yes, and the high over Norway is at 1052mb!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

15:00

-0.3c -8c dp (0.1c max) (min DP of -9.9c)

Light cloud starting to move in

Snow clearly just evaporating to gas, all patches of places where snow had fallen before are dry.

image.thumb.png.85ac2b4dbb39f0e752b32d7be2fe4b07.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Fog, Frost, Storms and Rain if it rains like it means it.
50 minutes ago, UKSupercell said:

I do hope this year's storm season is better than last year: just the one event when in previous years I've managed a Hants chase a handful of times. ⚡

• Like 1

Posted

The radar is doing horrible things to the west - only showing a cake slice of echoes over Oxforshire, Wiltshire, etc.

Posted

From what I can make out from the very patchy radar coverage at the moment there appears to be a swathe of moderate snow advancing eastwards over Central S England.  This is a very long way ahead of the supposed position of the occlusion.

1 minute ago, Ian Docwra said:

From what I can make out from the very patchy radar coverage at the moment there appears to be a swathe of moderate snow advancing eastwards over Central S England.  This is a very long way ahead of the supposed position of the occlusion.

From reports further west not much is actually falling out of the sky. I assume its evaporating before it hits the floor. DP of -9 here at the moment suggests very dry air still 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Ian Docwra said:

Nothing falling here at the moment despite being under the band shown on the radar.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Surrey said:

From reports further west not much is actually falling out of the sky. I assume its evaporating before it hits the floor. DP of -9 here at the moment suggests very dry air still 

Makes sense (except for why it's falling at all so far ahead of the front) - fascinating conditions today.

Posted
47 minutes ago, Jamie M said:

15:00

-0.3c -8c dp (0.1c max) (min DP of -9.9c)

Light cloud starting to move in

Snow clearly just evaporating to gas, all patches of places where snow had fallen before are dry.

image.thumb.png.85ac2b4dbb39f0e752b32d7be2fe4b07.png

I still have snow, I'm rather surprised actually.

Posted
18 minutes ago, Ian Docwra said:

Makes sense (except for why it's falling at all so far ahead of the front) - fascinating conditions today.

I would think a boundary layer has set up, where warm air is rising above the cold air we have.

Posted

Was not expecting the precip to spread this Far East today?! I know there a lot of sublimation / evaporation due to the very low dew points but still ! ...

38B7AD8E-8E0D-4953-B55B-D722803BB1E4.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spring

Was this meant to be heading this way and will it snow ??

Screenshot_20210213-155758_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Oaks
  • Like 1