Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS
1 hour ago, Oaks said:

Impressive 

I lived at Pewell bay, Thanet in 1987 , sea shore froze out (and yes I walked on it) to about 800 yards , now that was exceptional..

Still -2.6c here now.

• Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, Hammer said:

Ireland getting really heavy PPN and looks like some snow right now. I would be interested to see lowest snow value place in UK and Ireland over a 100 year period.

I reckon near Cambridge? Outside of South West?

V interesting question, I'd put my money on the Scilly Isles, I believe there's a weather station on the main island that's rarely recorded a sub zero temperature.

WWW.CLIMATESTOTRAVEL.COM

Climate information for Scilly (England) - weather averages, seasons. With some advice on the best time to visit.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Thats a fair point Dub and Staines, forgot about all that water running down. but isnt it near the lock anyway so reduced flow at times.

I find it strange that thinking back to 2018, 13, 1991 1987 and the lasting cold of 85,86, 95 ?

Why would it have frozen this time, as I think many would agree its not been "that cold" in terms of low temps until the last day or so and the point you have made in regards to a strong flow..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Brrr. Bloody cold out there today. Only walked in the garden for a little bit and hands are already frozen.

-1.1c, dp of -9c and gusting about 15 mph in the garden.

image.thumb.png.117977e9055e7d5adc48ac088d1fabd1.png

Windchill of -10 seems about right.

Edited by Jamie M
  • Like 1

Posted
12 hours ago, Daniel* said:

This is fascinating there does appear to be a correlation in our region with colder winters and near solar minimum conditions, and milder and wetter winters concentrating near solar maximum.

The question then is; does the solar cycle have an influence on the occurence of Sudden Stratospheric Warming?  The latter is what has caused this cold spell.

Posted
1 hour ago, North Downs Snowboarder said:

V interesting question, I'd put my money on the Scilly Isles, I believe there's a weather station on the main island that's rarely recorded a sub zero temperature.

WWW.CLIMATESTOTRAVEL.COM

Climate information for Scilly (England) - weather averages, seasons. With some advice on the best time to visit.

I'd go for Gibraltar .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes!

Is anyone else feeling a bit lost without snow to chase? For the last week I've had about a million tabs open checking models and radar....feel a bit empty now lol

Roll on the next chase!

• Like 7

Posted

Fascinating correlation between land and snowfall at the moment - the snow almost completely matches the land outline, with sleet/rain over water.

Screenshot 2021-02-13 at 11.59.23.png

• Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Ian Docwra said:

I'd go for Gibraltar .

If you want to widen it out to British Overseas Territories I'm happy to take funding to go on a lengthy fact-finding climate trip to the British Virgin Island and the Cayman Islands.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, North Downs Snowboarder said:

If you want to widen it out to British Overseas Territories I'm happy to take funding to go on a lengthy fact-finding climate trip to the British Virgin Island and the Cayman Islands.

I knew that would spark something!  All in the cause of science of course.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
13 hours ago, Daniel* said:

This is fascinating there does appear to be a correlation in our region with colder winters and near solar minimum conditions, and milder and wetter winters concentrating near solar maximum.

2 days in 1987 with ice days recorded!?!...that can't be right.

Posted
1 hour ago, seaside 60 said:

Thats a fair point Dub and Staines, forgot about all that water running down. but isnt it near the lock anyway so reduced flow at times.

I find it strange that thinking back to 2018, 13, 1991 1987 and the lasting cold of 85,86, 95 ?

Why would it have frozen this time, as I think many would agree its not been "that cold" in terms of low temps until the last day or so and the point you have made in regards to a strong flow..

This does sound wrong .... I walked between Kingston and Kew regularly along the Thames in winters 09/10 and Dec 10 and can confirm huge areas were frozen over  with great ice sheets floating downstream. My friends in Shepperton further upstream talked about breaking the ice to go kayaking near the weir.

Edited by slaphead
Typo

Posted

will be glad to see the back of the cold now. very happy with the past week of actual winter but it’s a nuisance now with the ice everywhere! 10c+ this coming week will feel tropical after the walks ive had the past couple days

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Quite a potent end to the cold spell today 

Sub zero temps, double digit negative dew points, strong winds and sunshine. Rare weather conditions for the UK.

sun.thumb.png.e806dc1125599c1ea1f9027fc071693f.pngdp.thumb.png.6cff949bd4571d77bf3750fbb1dea366.pngwindchill.thumb.png.736561a542e8bd3d8df6eb800dcfe7da.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Fog, Frost, Storms and Rain if it rains like it means it.

Anyone in Winchester seeing snow? Just checked my forecast for NE Hants and I have a 50% chance of snow in tje next couole of hours. Checked the radar and the pink appears to be mov8ng East!

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Mizzle said:

Anyone in Winchester seeing snow? Just checked my forecast for NE Hants and I have a 50% chance of snow in tje next couole of hours. Checked the radar and the pink appears to be mov8ng East!

It is expected to move east erratically and fade a little, and it could possibly be glaze rather than snow.

• Like 1

Posted
55 minutes ago, Ian Docwra said:

I knew that would spark something!  All in the cause of science of course.

I'm happy to make the huge sacrifice of sitting out a British winter in the name of science. I've heard rumours that it never snows in those places - hard to believe - but we'd finally know for sure

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

From indoors the sky looks like early spring outside, with snow still on the floor!  But it's the sound that is really deceiving, such a variety of birdsong that I've not heard in ages... but I set foot outside and it's freezing and I am reminded it is still winter.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, slaphead said:

This does sound wrong .... I walked between Kingston and Kew regularly along the Thames in winters 09/10 and Dec 10 and can confirm huge areas were frozen over  with great ice sheets floating downstream. My friends in Shepperton further upstream talked about breaking the ice to go kayaking near the weir.

I heard that the Thames was frozen in patches at Teddington this morning.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

@moogyboobles agree, its one of the worst things with weather, it looks so lovely outside and makes u tempted to want to go for a walk, but as soon as you step out the door the wind tells you "lol you thought it was spring, well its not " which then makes me not want to go outside. I hate this

Edited by Atmogenic
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow

Any realistic chance of snow here in East Hants? Just checked the radar and to my surprise there is a band from this front that seems to be moving exactly this direction and over west Hants/Dorset way at present. 

• Like 1

Posted

Finally gathering the energy to get out the house for a wander - seemed it's my fault and I should have believed the forecasts as the cloud is building now, and if the wind is anything like yesterday it's probably going to get a bit cooler out there due to the sun going and this nagging cold breeze - although the BBC is suggesting it will be 16c next Saturday which will be a bit of a change, although a lot (and probably will) change throughout the week! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Fog, Frost, Storms and Rain if it rains like it means it.
5 minutes ago, UKSupercell said:

Any realistic chance of snow here in East Hants? Just checked the radar and to my surprise there is a band from this front that seems to be moving exactly this direction and over west Hants/Dorset way at present. 

I have a feeling after spending the last week being too far West, NE Hants is now too far East