Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
7 minutes ago, pinball wizard said:

Close the freezer door Nick!

The freezer vs my roaring log fire tonight, currently -3.4C outside.

20210212_204220.thumb.jpg.9134a2cfde0673bb431bbb1f83255547.jpg

gonna miss this cold spell

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

My personal temperature observations, varying in time because I often forget to take them on the dot haha.

7th February: 1.0c at 14:09

8th February: -0.4c at 14:01

9th February: 0.0c at 14:02

10th February: 2.0c at 14:00

11th February: 1.0c at 14:08

12th February: 0.2c at 14:00.

Impressive in terms of longevity, one for the weather journal for certain!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Nice and cold tonight again, if only there could be more snow never mind. Might be some ice rain rather snow on Sunday. We'll see. Itv news weather mentioned the possibility.

Posted

Impressive for here as well probably more exposed to the Easterly Outbreak.

7th Feb @ 1400 Temp was -0.6c

8th Feb @ 1400 Temps was -1.2c

9th Feb @ 1400 Temp was 0.4c

10th Feb @ 1400 Temp was 1.2c

11th Feb @ 1400 Temp was -0.3c

12th Feb @ 1400 Temp was -1.9c

Just 2 Days above Freezing and with an expected temp around or just below freezing tomorrow this will be an impressive 7 Day spell. One problem with the CET maybe a very warm start and if ECM is correct could come in around or just below average which is a big shame. But at least we are bucking the trend with the way above average months lately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Briefly hit 1.1 here in Locksbottom but didn’t feel it in the biting wind.Currently -3 here and last chance to beat coldest night of winter of -3.9.Tomorrow looks last day of very cold weather but models of last 24 hours seem to now be speeding up the transition to mild weather.Looks between 8-11 degrees Mon -Fri now with a bit more rain in the forecast compared to yesterday .Longer range seems to reduce risk of a further cold spell commencing say 23/24 February although that is a long way away and could be subject to change.Amazing how things can change as 48 hours ago there were a lot of tweets from experts saying that as well as North America ,Europe looked like getting cold again from around 20th.Now it seems that North America will continue to stay cold but the cold in Europe will be confined to Central but mainly Eastern Europe.Next 48 hours will give us more clues to a colder end to February or a first glimpse of spring perhaps?

Edited by Hotspur62

Posted

This is fascinating there does appear to be a correlation in our region with colder winters and near solar minimum conditions, and milder and wetter winters concentrating near solar maximum.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes!

Now -4.6C here, can still hear the wind. Glad I'm inside!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

20c possible in the last week of Feb lol. There will be no snow melt here next week, because there is no snow to melt.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow
16 hours ago, TN9 said:

Scotland,high ground, up north ,it's been nice not to here that for a few days ,I've noticed, and they must used to it, how Iceland when the atlantic gets going how windy it is ,like proper full on near hurricane force winds regular ,they must all walk sideways ...here is a couple of puddle splashes down my local lane 

IMG_20210211_161056.jpg

IMG_20210211_160745.jpg

Great photos pal! Also took some of roadside hedges covered in icicles the other day in the South Downs....will have to upload here when I'm not half asleep (like now!) 

• Like 1

Posted

Ireland getting really heavy PPN and looks like some snow right now. I would be interested to see lowest snow value place in UK and Ireland over a 100 year period.

I reckon near Cambridge? Outside of South West?

Edited by Hammer
Typo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
6 hours ago, Hammer said:

Ireland getting really heavy PPN and looks like some snow right now. I would be interested to see lowest snow value place in UK and Ireland over a 100 year period.

I reckon near Cambridge? Outside of South West?

No way - it will be coastal location. Either somewhere on the south coast or even the North Wales coast possibly.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Well currently -4.3 here in Locksbottom @8.30am and we hit a low of -5.5 so coldest night here since BFTE 2018.In fact from memory I think that is colder than that spell as well!!Bitterly cold out there with that wind.

stay safe

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well here are some rough results in terms of snow distribution based on site results and public reporting.

It seems about right to me, even to the point where there was quite a difference between my location in South Peterborough (essentially nothing) and the north of the city (there was about a centimetre on Wednesday morning). You can clearly see where the showers converged (In the north across south Lincolnshire/Rutland, north Norfolk and then Kent and the Thames Estuary. Eastern parts of a Suffolk probably got the best situation in terms of Sunday’s snowfall and then catching many different shower trains during the following days.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 3

Posted

With 9am having just passed we have recorded our 4th ice day. Max here Friday 9am to this morning 9am -0.5C. Overnight low -4.5C.

With snow cover of about 4cm since late Sunday (peak depth was 11cm) this counts as a memorable cold spell for me.

Edited by Ackkers
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

Dropped to -4.2c

Currently -3.5

6th day wth lying snow.

Bitter wind

Loving it

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.
11 minutes ago, Oaks said:

Impressive, however is it more of a symptom of the lack of usage of the river.

Very little boat traffic and movement which normally keeps the water from  freezing over in previous cold spells.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course
21 minutes ago, seaside 60 said:

Very little boat traffic and movement which normally keeps the water from  freezing over in previous cold spells.

It is impressive, there was a lot of rain before the freeze and river has been flowing fast. The EA has it on red boards, too dangerous for any boats but certainly too fast for non powered craft!

• Like 1

Posted

Impressive 10am Obs here

Temp is - 3.7c

Dewp is - 8.2c

Well done to BBC once again showing by 10am it should be 1c here what a joke they are

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
48 minutes ago, seaside 60 said:

Not sure that matters much, this time as the river was flooding in many places just before the cold spell and water is still moving very quickly. Cool to see, don’t think I’ve ever seen the river freeze (apart from edges) and I grew up/lived in a Thames-side town for many years.