Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
59 minutes ago, Jimmyh said:

I am genuinely impressed with this cold spell. There is still snow cover on roofs and in the back garden. The wind is whistling through. Be interesting to see the figures overnight 

Same here, roof, back garden, front garden, and even on the pavement opposite, my house is south facing, and the sun just isn't getting there.

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, NewEra21 said:

This really is so special to see, dew points at almost -10 across parts of the region. For all the mild endless winters we endure, it really is all the more special when the chase finally pays off. I hope everyone has had a wonderful week in the cold and snow, as I know I sure have

pointrosee_uk.png

Beautiful pic but diddly squat to 99.5% of the British public that will go unnoticed to another ‘Cold night’ with no precipitation 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS
4 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Same here, roof, back garden, front garden, and even on the pavement opposite, my house is south facing, and the sun just isn't getting there.

Here also.

All of back and side of house good snow cover.

Bushs , conifurs, shrubs still wth many centimetres of snow

Sorh facing areas patchy (but very icy)

Temp here now -3.1c

Snow not going anywhere fast until maybe sunday night/monday.

It's been a cold spell.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow
4 minutes ago, Polaris said:

Beautiful pic but diddly squat to 99.5% of the British public that will go unnoticed to another ‘Cold night’ with no precipitation 

Yeah I do feel for everyone that didn't really see anything from this spell. It was a shame we couldn't get some better convective showers/troughs pushing inland to give more people a chance at some snow. That was the one thing that this cold spell was missing down here in the SE & EA.

Posted

Reminds me of somewhere like Tallinn out there this evening. Dry compact snow everywhere, clumps that have sublimated in south facing areas and that biting dry wind. Pretty surreal and impressive for this part of the world.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

Like everyone on here we have had a exciting week, everyone in Norfolk saw snow, and love the dry air that has made the main roads dry and the snow in the countryside....just like if I was in the alps without the hills...

Now bring on the warmth why some people want to look out for cold still is beyond me, why? 

Posted
6 minutes ago, slater said:

Like everyone on here we have had a exciting week, everyone in Norfolk saw snow, and love the dry air that has made the main roads dry and the snow in the countryside....just like if I was in the alps without the hills...

Now bring on the warmth why some people want to look out for cold still is beyond me, why? 

It’s like a drug. Once you have a taste you want more. Even more so if you had a taste years ago and are still looking for that hit.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes!

Lovely to see the sun on the last of the snow today.

20210210_161426.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

Part of the Thames has frozen over for the first time in years.

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

A section of the river froze in Teddington, south west London.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, sun and snow.

One telling point today was how much the ground has frozen up. I was able to run off road today on bits of ground that until recently had become a muddy swamp. Ankle deep mud replaced with a solid surface. 
Such a shame no more snow is on the way. It would have settled so much easier.

Back to being a swamp in a couple of days.....

• Like 1

Posted
46 minutes ago, NewEra21 said:

Yeah I do feel for everyone that didn't really see anything from this spell. It was a shame we couldn't get some better convective showers/troughs pushing inland to give more people a chance at some snow. That was the one thing that this cold spell was missing down here in the SE & EA.

It's a shame it's turning milder next week.. we've had a proper cool down this week which has frozen the ground solid for any more snowfall to stick instantly and there would be no melting from warm ground temps.  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
9 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

Part of the Thames has frozen over for the first time in years.

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

A section of the river froze in Teddington, south west London.

See you at the frost fair on the thames

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

-3C with DP of -8.5C here, probably will be the coldest night of this cold spell here, certainly feels it this evening, accentuated by the cutting wind, roaring log fire on the go aswell as heating on and still feel a cold draft coming in from somewhere. 

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The cloud last night prevented temperatures falling below -2c. Shouldn’t be an issue tonight as the remaining cloud breaks up and clears. Widely -4 to -6c, impressive given the strength of the wind.

Already down to -3c here.

Edited by Captain Shortwave

Posted
4 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Crazy stuff for here close to central the cold has impressed me not minima, tonight set to be coldest night of spell widely getting down to -6 C isolated place in east with snow cover  -10C?

2F82DCE2-A794-4ADD-B236-F2D8568833F2.thumb.jpeg.06acd905df3db61a134426a7e3f95386.jpeg

That must be a weather satellite (dish).

Posted
23 minutes ago, Nick F said:

-3C with DP of -8.5C here, probably will be the coldest night here of this cold spell here, certainly feels it this evening, accentuated by the cutting wind, roaring log fire on the go aswell as heating on and still feel a cold draft coming in from somewhere. 

I’d put today down as the coldest day of this spell here too. I’ve worked outside in it all week and today was the only day I’ve been cold, that wind was absolutely biting!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
37 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

It's a shame it's turning milder next week.. we've had a proper cool down this week which has frozen the ground solid for any more snowfall to stick instantly and there would be no melting from warm ground temps.  

i feel your pain, there is something very cool about ice days

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Good one 

• Thanks 1

Posted
41 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

VERY cool.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....

The snow, winter and Beast from the East thing has been a huge let down for me personally down here. But I will say, today I have never experienced a cold like this and it will now be one of those winters I won't forget ! The last time my fingers and toes felt so cold was when I was a kid and was in Scotland !

Rarely, if ever, have I experienced or referred to a wind as bitter, almost vicious at times 

You have to love weather.

• Like 5

Posted
24 minutes ago, Hurricane Debby said:

The snow, winter and Beast from the East thing has been a huge let down for me personally down here. But I will say, today I have never experienced a cold like this and it will now be one of those winters I won't forget ! The last time my fingers and toes felt so cold was when I was a kid and was in Scotland !

Rarely, if ever, have I experienced or referred to a wind as bitter, almost vicious at times 

You have to love weather.

I used to live in Scotland, so I know what it feels like to be cold, it can be bone chilling sometimes.

Posted
1 hour ago, Nick F said:

-3C with DP of -8.5C here, probably will be the coldest night of this cold spell here, certainly feels it this evening, accentuated by the cutting wind, roaring log fire on the go aswell as heating on and still feel a cold draft coming in from somewhere. 

Close the freezer door Nick!