Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

A freezing day today (max. -0.3C) owing to a fair bit of cloud to the south dimming the sun here.  Beautiful day after a film of snow came down last night.  The ground is rock hard now (too late!).  A local path by a busy road has this on the railings where a broken drain pours water down the road.

DSC06941.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

Top temp today managed 1.3c

Now  at -1.5c , gonna be a cold one tonight.

Snow cover , clear skies and light wind off the frozen continent. (Coldest night this year for me stands at -3.3 , so fully expecting that to be broken over the nxt few nights.

Lost a lot of lying snow south facing areas but back garden which is North facing still chocka.

Lovely dog walk today in the Alpine air.

20210211_122603.jpg

20210211_123408.jpg

20210211_122257.jpg

20210211_123941.jpg

Edited by craigore
  • Like 4

Posted

Sunny spells today. Max today 0.0C after a minimum of -5.3C last night with a sprinkling of snow.

Currently  -2.2C

Posted

woke up this morning surprised to see quite a covering of snow over snow melt from yesterday, very cold but beautiful sunshine for most of today. Main local roads very good but side roads still ice and slush so with tonights very low temps forecast there will be a lot of frozen side roads in the morning .

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

A mostly sunny day with only a few patches of cumulus drifting through during the afternoon. Again the temperature just scraped above freezing.

Another very cold night coming up with only a little high cloud to offer resistance. Widely down to -4/5c

• Like 1

Posted

Well a slow thaw set in earlier today where and when the sun broke through. Still a good covering though on the south west facing back garden as the attached picture shows, fifth day of lying snow and bitterly cold now as the sun sets. Been a memorable snow event here but be pleased to feel some warmth from the weekend and begin the next chase.

DSC_0293.JPG

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Paul Sherman said:

Beautiful end to a stunning winters day. 5cm of overnight snow and temp only rose to 0.1c at 2pm. Have really enjoyed this spell reminded me of the normal winters we used to get in the 1980s discarding 1987 of course which was a totally different beast 

IMG_20210211_172546.jpg

when i first joined NW from BBC Snow watch i remember a few years of steady day/night 10C winters. never thought i would see winter again to be honest. so apart from the odd 'real' winter from then to now i am so pleased to see snow falling again. frost on cars at 1700 and hear the crunch of ice as people walk past the house where there is still snow on the pavement. halcyon days maybe, but given the doom and gloom portrayed in climate change theories i will take this winter period as a blessing  

• Like 2

Posted

-1.1C in Shirley, Croydon..................I see ECM wants to bring the cold back in later next week!!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

Everyone ready for round 2?

Obviously just for fun at this stage, but the models tonight are just beginning to show what the Met Office forecasts have been saying for the weekend commencing 20th February. Cooling down with a return of easterly winds!

ECM1-240 (1).gif

ECM0-240.gif

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Evening all,

Would again, like to post up a couple of clips of Forecasts, from MeteoGroup and the Met Office.

The first from Private Forecasting Organisation, MeteoGroup, courtesy of Darren Bett.

Weather for the Week Ahead - BBC Weather

Below, is the Weekend Forecast from the Met Office, with Aidan McGivern:

Those Members, like myself, looking for one "last hurrah" from Winter, should be encouraged by the 12z runs from the European Models.

The UKMO 12z Chart for Day 6 (17th Feb), is not a bad place to be at. Strong, positive heights, over E.Scandinavia, and signs of disruption to that deep Atlantic Low:

image.thumb.png.1971dd54f4a1991998e4c3de0485da8e.png

The ECM 12z run, singing from the same hymn sheet, at Day 6 (17th Feb), with a deep cold pool, starting to edge into Eastern Europe.

image.thumb.png.1ab879885097f6872c1d0c4ada859d9b.png image.thumb.png.1bddc4dd9e6749227dfc1f02583d8f01.png

Regards,

Tom.   ❄️

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Evening everyone, hope you are all doing well. I was wondering if anyone uses this, as I personally think it looks really good, especially with the 500m resolution! and really high scale! I imagine it's good for convective weather monitoring in the summer.

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

Meteociel propose le radar français de Méteo-France sous forme de cartes avec zoom dynamique.

Edited by LightningLover
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Currently, is -5C... but, come what may, I ill not be led up the garden path. AGAIN!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados
Just now, General Cluster said:

Currently, is -5C... but, come what may, I ill not be led up the garden path. AGAIN!

We believe you, until the next cold spell turns up

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
1 minute ago, General Cluster said:

Yes indeed Pete, and I hope you've sobered up after last Night, otherwise you'll be falling over, into the flower bed!!

Regards,

Tom.  ❄️

• Like 2

Posted
31 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

that will depend on what vodka* at lidl/aldi** has on offer   

*other spirits can be available   

** other stores are available 

• Like 1

Posted

loving the Met O forecast for the next week or so 

Into late February there is a signal for higher than average pressure to expand westwards leading to an increased chance of snow showers redeveloping in the east, for conditions in the north to become generally quite settled and for unsettled weather in the south, with disruptive snow possible. A similar picture continues into March, though milder conditions in the west look more likely to spread northwards.

seems the end of the month (25th onwards) may give us here in the southern areas another bite at the cherry  

Edited by MAF
  • Like 1

Posted

Example of the Save GIF function, showing the streamer last night.

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

Meteociel propose le radar français de Méteo-France sous forme de cartes avec zoom dynamique.

anim_jih6.gif

• Thanks 1

Posted

minus one here now. clear skies and a slight slight easterly  (10-15 mph)  easterly. 

i am about 1 mile from city airport but at a higher altitude  

Posted

I noticed earlier to my south Cirrus clouds yet to my north cumulus. as a complete amatuer, it seems the weather is on a change and the cloud exemplifies that change. So i will stick with the Met O on it's current short term forecast and wait for the FI predictions that we may see a reboot of the last few days in a weeks time 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days
16 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

Example of the Save GIF function, showing the streamer last night.

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

anim_jih6.gif

Seeing as I live in Hailsham that’s really rather cruel of you my friend. Just missed every single one of them!

Edited by lawrenk
Typo

Posted
4 minutes ago, lawrenk said:

Seeing as I live in Hailsham that’s really rather cruel of you my friend. Just missed every single one of them!

Can't say we've been amazingly lucky streamer-wise here in Bexhill... Sunday gave a decent covering at least from that stalled feature, and we had a few showers on Monday and yesterday evening. Most settled was around 2/3cm I'd say. Not as much as 2018, but I'm grateful I've seen some falling!

Edited by LightningLover
  • Like 1