Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

Jan 1996 , 1 day but severe cold. Dec96/Jan 97 long freeze. Feb 96 severe 2 day event . Dec 05 Kent clipper. Feb 2010 Kent clipper. These are the other events that I remember, but I'm getting on in years:-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings

Ventured out of the office , lovely to see blue sky but it's bitter out there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Whilst I am having my break from a bit of painting at home and having looked at last model runs I think it is fair to say the cold spell is now nearing its end.Friday and Saturday will remain very cold and if skies do clear potential is there for a -10 from somewhere in SE.Thereafter Sunday begins the milder trend with temps climbing to 4 or 5 so all snow will pretty much be gone I would have thought for most.Then Monday to Wednesday now looking 8 or 9 degrees so not quite as mild as things were looking maybe 24 hours.The good thing is it looks mainly dry for us as the Atlantic never really gets in and just meanders about.Still potential for another cold spell last week in February but whether it happens or not remains to be seen.

temp is -0.9 and not got above -0.1 so colder than yesterday

stay safe

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Pretty poor attempt at a real cold night last night, started out well getting down to -3.9c at around 8, but didn't drop from there. 2018's easterly was much more potent getting down to -6.1c the day before March! and four days in it was still was going strong 4 days in, this spell has already peaked. I'd put this easterly similar to the Feb 2012 one but even that had a low of -5.9c!

Posted

Last nights snow was incredible at some points was heavier and thicker than Sunday was I did not expect at all. Over the 4 days of snow we have had here we have a combined total of 22cm on grass and fields and at one point last night it reach 11cm on the road. Was a lovely way to end the snowy period now today is cold but beautiful wall to wall sunshine the village looks so pretty.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
3 hours ago, Kent Blizzard said:

On Tuesday night I mentioned about the yellow/red (blob) area of precipitation on the radar just off the coast of Ramsgate, it remained all the way through last night also....what causes that? It was like a dragon's mouth firing the precipitation, didn't move and was constantly showing on the radar....?

Wind farm off the coast.

Posted
3 hours ago, Team Jo said:

has anyone else got very very fine snow?? It’s been coming down for at least an hour, tiny little pellets, nothing on Radar!

Yep me, it's coming from the little fluffy clouds I assume. Had it all day, not doing much and still lots of sun.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

It's much warmer out there today, a scorching 2c at the moment! 

Posted
2 hours ago, Southender said:

Lovely finish to the cold spell last night in Southend. Some real heavy showers early hours depositing another couple of inches. Certain I saw the odd flash of lightning as well out in the Estuary. Could of been the overhead lines on C2C though I guess. Proper finale though and proper convection at last. Shame the whole spell couldn’t of been like that, but no complaints from me. On we go to the end of Feb. Can we squeeze one more cold spell in... ??

Mines coming down in full sun lol, there little fair weather fluff balls of cloud about, which must be doing it.

Posted

Very envious and pleased for everyone who got snow.

In Cambridge we scrapped 1cm on the grass over 4 days of light snowfall. This rounded off the 1cm we got from the January 'near-miss' and the 2cms of slush we got in early December. I thought we couldn't do worse than the 3cms that fell in the 2018 BFTE but records are there to be broken! 

In all seriousness, this winter has consolidated my view that the corridor stretching across South Cambs, Beds, North Herts, Bucks is probably the hardest UK place to get snowfall away perhaps from the extreme SW and southern coastal cities of Southampton or Portsmouth. I dare say to the wrath of everyone in here that slow-moving topplers suit us better! As evidence I offer you, in order, space pics of UK snow in Jan 2010, Dec 2010, Feb 2018 and Feb 2021. Sympathy appreciated

By and large though this has been the coldest winter in a decade and given over 7 days of falling snow IMBY so I'd have bitten your hand off for that at the start.

You'll also be relieved to know that since my support bubble is in North London, I ventured down there for a couple of days and managed to throw some snowballs at the GF. I got my snow fix in the end - 4-5cms in the Capital was enough, just!  

Jan 2010_LI.jpg

Dec 2010_LI.jpg

2018 snow_LI.jpg

Feb 2021 snow_LI.jpg

Edited by ITSY
  • Like 1

Posted

Having lived in Wandsworth, SW London since 2011, this has probably been the best cold spell of the last 10 years for me.

Snow depth maxed out at only around 3-4cm, but I've never seen deeper around here. Pretty much a whole week with snow on the ground, and properly frozen ponds is something I've not really seen before too. Constant falling (very light) snow for 36+ hours was brilliant!

Admittedly, I missed the BFTE in 2018 because I was abroad!.

Previously to that, I had a great snow event with the Thames streamer in Feb 2009 (hit the jackpot with about 35cm near Leatherhead) and 2010 was great of course too.

• Like 3

Posted

After seeing Long Tailed Tits in the garden for the first time this year

Just seen about 30 Fieldfare's which again I have not seen in the garden.

Having a bit of a day of it with the Barn Owl this morning at 7am and the Green Woodpeckers swooping in and out of the trees earlier.

• Like 2

Posted

This cold spell beats 2018 bfte for sure imo

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
36 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Mentioned this before this cold spell was just about to begin that Fieldfare's and Redwings will likely to be seen if it goes on beyond a few days...they always stick to rural areas and fields usually away from humans but when cold comes they head towards more urban areas...seen plenty here, strangely didn't see that many back for the BFTE 2018 but saw a number back in Feb 2012 when we had that very cold week or so.

Nice to have a top up of a couple of cm's or so last night though still haven't amassed more than 5cm at any point but the longevity of this which looks to be about a week and some chilly temps...might make it just a 6/10 though doubt will make top my top 10. 

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 1

Posted

All in all not a bad easterly event. Darcy herself would of been better remembered had it not been for the less favourable ground temps that kept stealing bits of my snow up until as far as late Tuesday. Despite zero sub daily temperature forecasts here we have had only one ice day which was surprising and a bit of a let down. Snow amount wise about 10cm fell over the period but from Sunday to Tuesday when walked on felt slushy underneath but did get to go sledging with the kids which was great fun.

All considered a very welcome distraction to what our daily lives have become over the last year. Looking forward to another potential cold set up later this month but this time let's have frost the night before any snow falls to prolong it a little!

Enjoy the chase everyone, I do.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Paul Sherman said:

After seeing Long Tailed Tits in the garden for the first time this year

Having a bit of a day of it with the Barn Owl this morning at 7am and the Green Woodpeckers swooping in and out of the trees earlier.

try reporting the sighting here @Paul Sherman > rspb.org.uk/birdwatch 

• Thanks 1

Posted

Huge shame about the models not taking into account ground temperatures/ 

latent heat. I wonder if any models will do in the future/ is there a method of predicting how long it takes to cool a material such as concreate to 0 degrees. So many factors would be needed to go into it - very complicated I’d presume. Just enough snow at box hill for sledge fun and good crispy days. The upper level warm front - unpredicted lead to a suppression of beefy showers (I think someone said that) for Monday/ Tuesday. Alright event 4/10. Would love a couple more Frontal snow events as they do deliver more widespread unlike an easterly -despite Kent normally being in the warm sector most of us in the West did far better.

• Like 1

Posted

Newhaven 14:40

T: 0.8

DP: -5.4

Wind: Slack, ENENW ish. I dunno.

This cold spell for me has been a bit rubbish to be fair. I made the mistake of being taken in by the hyperbole on the mod thread and waiting for 10, 20 or 30cm of snow to arrive. Instead yeah, I got snow falling from time to time which was lovely but apart from a couple of patchy cm of laying snow on Monday morning nothing. Probably I am being greedy but for me if I can't go out and take some photographs as in 2009, 2010, 2013 or 2018 it's all a bit boring.

Having said that the temperature remained below freezing for three days and the dew points hovered around -5 so I knew that anything falling from the sky wouldn't be marginal but be snow. That doesn't happen so often these days so a reason to be cheerful!

I don't post much on this forum but  would like to say that seeing your pictures and video's from around the area have been great and there has been some funny moments. My favourites are..

It's a whiteout! Oh no it's not, oh yes it is..

You need to learn how to read a radar Paul..

That blob which may come your way is actually Thanet wind farm..

Take care everybody and keep smiling

Edited by Bill4321
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Herne Bay :D

149212199_10157859221252108_3087289994176912406_o.jpg

• Like 8

Posted

Anyone know if Danbury got a top up of snow last night? Prime sledging place