Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
1 hour ago, winterfreak said:

I wouldn't bother, think more of the Alps or somewhere. So much nicer than any of Kent and, more or less, guaranteed snow!! 

Haha! Part of the thrill is chasing it and then being rewarded for me.

Having spent time in places overseas where snow is garunteed you do get a degree of cold and snow 'fatigue'.

Certainly disappointing to have so little locally,but as I said before here,no real surprise I guess having in past years seen the dissatisfaction from this area on these forums at the tiny falls on offer,as I have enjoyed good snowfalls in SE London and Eastern Sussex.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

I adore this weather.

Me too. Wish we got it more often in this country. I work for an American company and my manager lives in Boston. They’ve already had about 3 or 4 falls of snow this winter totalling about 6 inches to a foot each. 

Edited by danm
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Ok so I've not bothered with apps all through this, useless for snow, but just thought I'd look at expected temps, stay negative right through till Sunday afternoon, and then I only get to 2c lol. Monday is proper warm up day here, at the min if right. Incidentally, I haven't been above -1 since the cold came in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

IMBY rates as a 6 or 7 for cold and longevity but, at best, a 4 for snow. Pretty much all of our snow, no more than a couple of cms came on Sunday and we were never quite in the right spot for what came after. Just the way it goes. We did however see falling snow for four consecutive days and still have some on the ground, which I don’t think we even managed during the BFTE.

It was great though to see some, who’ve had a lean time in recent years, do so well.

The most important thing for me is that it’s proved once again that it’s  more than possible to get cold and snow in our region. I dread the day ever arriving where it just becomes a thing of the past.

• Like 3

Posted
15 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Quite happy with how yesterday went, and my forecast was pretty good overall. Expected the Twig to be over Mid Kent then relaxing eastwards and the divergence and convergence eased away south into the channel. ALways knew places from Medway Towns to East kent were going to be in the sweet spot with this NE Set-Up. 

As expected a new area of convergence was expected from Midnight until 8am this morning in the Thames Estuary as winds relaxed to first ENE then East and now East South East which would bring more of the Thames Corridoor into play and NW Kent and parts of London.

I know some were not overly hopeful but the High Pressure was far enough north for this little window of opportunity to have its final farewell and looks like the Estuary SST's of 7c mixed with Uppers clinging on around -9c were enough to generate some lift at 650mb for some shallow to medium sized showers with tops around 10,000ft to 14,000ft in some cases, indeed some instances of Thundersnow occured last night as well off the Kent and Essex coasts.

I think the nice thing going forward is we seem to be on the cusp of a nice dry spell of weather which should hopefully help the water table out a bit if a reload comes in the last week of February.

Yes - spot on Paul. Thank you for your excellent coverage in this cold spell. Roll on the storms in summer!! 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

On Tuesday night I mentioned about the yellow/red (blob) area of precipitation on the radar just off the coast of Ramsgate, it remained all the way through last night also....what causes that? It was like a dragon's mouth firing the precipitation, didn't move and was constantly showing on the radar....?

Posted
1 minute ago, SHM040519 said:

Yes - spot on Paul. Thank you for your excellent coverage in this cold spell. Roll on the storms in summer!! 

Thanks buddy and so glad you guys did so well. Think I have 1 more cold spell in me before we get that warm sun heating up the landmass and creating spring convection. Looks like another year of Uk Storms for me this year so hoping our little part of the world has more luck with Storms than 2020. Dont think Tornado Alley is on the cards anytime soon so my beloved Supercells will have to wait another year, hoping to get down to Dungeness for some Imports and watch some Storms roll in from La France.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Kent Blizzard said:

On Tuesday night I mentioned about the yellow/red (blob) area of precipitation on the radar just off the coast of Ramsgate, it remained all the way through last night also....what causes that? It was like a dragon's mouth firing the precipitation, didn't move and was constantly showing on the radar....?

It's anaprop (false radar echoes), probably caused by a wind farm. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, Kent Blizzard said:

Its definately to do with a wind farm reacting to a radar beam or something like that. Its there in the summer as well and sometimes appears in another place north of the Kent Coast where there is another offshore wind farm. I have seen it in every month of the year. There are a few of these in the USA and well and are land wind farms which the doplar radar picks up as convection when in fact there is nothing there but clear skies.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
9 hours ago, Gavin Plummer said:

Thanks D.V.R, I really appreciate that sincere kind reply, that's real . The next snow event I pray you get plastered with a damn good snowfall that is the envy of many!! So many members now on net-weather, and many many many others that are not members sitting back reading this amazing forum from a distance to get a rough idea what is happening in our part of the world. To those that read this that sit on the back row quietly, please get involved.........

17 years ago 'almost' when I joined net-weather as Mammatus (August 11th 2004). Four years later in 2008 I won the July photography competition with a shot in-between Newmarket and Cambridge with my Nikon D80 DSLR lense. The greatest thing EVER was at the end of the year I gave my Gran the 2009 Calendar supplied by net-weather. A few years later my amazing gran (mum's mum) died sadly and her calendar remains protected safely with my few ever so valued keep safes. Anyway............ my profile is a Robin and although I love birds I don't love them that much. I  love cod way more, especially battered. 

I would get more pleasure seeing the whole country get plastered - not to be the envy of others, it's just not my style.

Thanks Gavin.. Have a nice day!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

has anyone else got very very fine snow?? It’s been coming down for at least an hour, tiny little pellets, nothing on Radar!

Posted
20 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Thanks buddy and so glad you guys did so well. Think I have 1 more cold spell in me before we get that warm sun heating up the landmass and creating spring convection. Looks like another year of Uk Storms for me this year so hoping our little part of the world has more luck with Storms than 2020. Dont think Tornado Alley is on the cards anytime soon so my beloved Supercells will have to wait another year, hoping to get down to Dungeness for some Imports and watch some Storms roll in from La France.

We got about 5/6cm last night. Ended with 12/13cm which is a good total. 3rd highest I have seen here! 1st being 2010 when we had around 30cm and 2018 when we had 18. Hopefully one more cold spell which would be fab. I would love to do that one day in America! Hopefully we can get some cracking storms this summer!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Weather
10 minutes ago, Team Jo said:

has anyone else got very very fine snow?? It’s been coming down for at least an hour, tiny little pellets, nothing on Radar!

Yes we have that as well in Romford

Posted
40 minutes ago, danm said:

Me too. Wish we got it more often in this country. I work for an American company and my manager lives in Boston. They’ve already had about 3 or 4 falls of snow this winter totalling about 6 inches to a foot each. 

I’m heading up to Connaught Water for a walk later. Really surprised to see it had snowed again overnight, freshening up the Chingford Alps!

Pole Hill has been excellent all week for tobogganing! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Easygoing, but winter is meant to be white, dammit!

Glad I went to bed when I did this morning...just not enough intensity to make it here with any force. Managed (yet) another dusting, but the highest total we got here after almost 4 days of constant dandruff was about 1.5-2cm.

Bring on the frontal snow next time is all I can say! Streamers just don't seem to do it for this location. Congrats to those who got pasted...not envious at all

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Crazy amount of snow, 14cm/5 1/2 inches! So much fell yesterday all the way through to the early hours, best snow fall since 2010!!  Storm Darcy was a bit of a joke really, heavy showers being the order of the day :D

149412811_1430202750650966_8809276185581112351_n.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Probably had about 20cm of snow in total, if you include the snow that had melted the other day after storm Darcy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Nice little top up over night by a couple of cms or so...keeping this little cold spell going!

Temp: -0.3c snow depth: back up to 5cm

20210211_102113.jpg

Posted
40 minutes ago, Kent Blizzard said:

Wind farm 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & Snowy, Hot & Sunny & Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, General Cluster said:

Another inch or two overnight... What a lovely spell this has been!

Probably needed that after last night... 

• Like 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, Team Jo said:

Interesting you say so. In North West Kent after a bright and sunny start cloud had rolled back in from the East and it's absolutely bitter in the breeze and I'm sure I noticed a couple of small flakes.

Also shout out to @Paul Sherman who called it right last night in regard to winds changing direction and a little more snow around these parts. 

Was perfect this morning. Snow on previous snowfalk is so rare. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
18 minutes ago, Jamie M said:

Frost hollows doing their work

Lol....Twitter had a sensitive content warning before I could open that 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & Snowy, Hot & Sunny & Thunderstorms
49 minutes ago, Kent Blizzard said:

Thanet wind farm.