Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
41 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

Yes please!

If I could transfer my snow to you I would D.V.R . I had my snow fix 3/4 days ago and now ready for a blazing hot and sunny Spring and Summer with severe thunderstorms.

Joking aside, the endless times since I was young to mid thirties when I watched the radar buffeting eastern Counties with snow showers (during cold spells of course) whilst literally nothing fell inland. Just frosty, cold and mainly dry. It is swings and roundabouts though, inland gets the best thunderstorms more often than not especially so in Cambridgeshire towards the Fens. I know as chased every Spring and Summer from 2001 throughout Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk and Cambridgeshire when all ingredients were there and captured much on camera/video. 2009 I was main headline on Lookeast 'Featured' as caught 2 funnel clouds fall from a MCS I'd positioned myself perfectly with (after 5 hours chasing) then one of the tubes dropped onto the Cambridgeshire fields a few miles in-front of me. My name is in the International Journal of Meteorology forever. 

Gavin - Tornado - 2009

Point is, your really in the best place all day long inland - I promise you! Snow is great - Storms are indescribable!!!! We had NO storms in Lowestoft last Summer, it was extremely painfall watching everything erupt inland when I couldn't get there (lockdown and temporary no transport). I guess this snow is those above saying "Gav you robbed last Summer, here is some snow to make you feel a bit better" 

Edited by Gavin Plummer
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
6 minutes ago, Carl Honeysett said:

Really heavy snow now here in Maidstone 

Covered  the road

IMG-20210210-WA0002.jpg

Nice! Was that your first snowfall this evening?

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Crazy Snow here! I heard hail, looked outside it was like a hailstorm and it lasted ages! There's nothing showing no, no pavements etc

148272425_324420639001875_7872883957371390870_n.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
1 minute ago, Neilsouth said:

Crazy Snow here! I heard hail, looked outside it was like a hailstorm and it lasted ages! There's nothing showing no, no pavements etc

148272425_324420639001875_7872883957371390870_n.jpg

My snow has been more sane than insane 

• Like 1

Posted

INCOMING!! :D :D 

ahhhhhh.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Gavin Plummer said:

If I could transfer my snow to you I would D.V.R . I had my snow fix 3/4 days ago and now ready for a blazing hot and sunny Spring and Summer with severe thunderstorms.

Joking aside, the endless times since I was young to mid thirties when I watched the radar buffeting eastern Counties with snow showers (during cold spells of course) whilst literally nothing fell inland. Just frosty, cold and mainly dry. It is swings and roundabouts though, inland gets the best thunderstorms more often than not especially so in Cambridgeshire towards the Fens. I know as chased every Spring and Summer from 2001 throughout Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk and Cambridgeshire when all ingredients were there and captured much on camera/video. 2009 I was main headline on Lookeast 'Featured' as caught 2 funnel clouds fall from a MCS I'd positioned myself perfectly with (after 5 hours chasing) then one of the tubes dropped onto the Cambridgeshire fields a few miles in-front of me. My name is in the International Journal of Meteorology forever. Point is, your really in the best place all day long inland - I promise you! Snow is great - Storms are indescribable!!!! We had NO storms in Lowestoft last Summer, it was extremely painfall watching everything erupt inland when I couldn't get there (lockdown and temporary no transport). I guess this snow is those above saying "Gav you robbed last Summer, here is some snow to make you feel a bit better" 

I prefer snow to thunderstorms .. seriously though, that sounds amazing - I appreciate you telling me about your experience.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

Hi guys ,My rain alarm just went off , I looked at the radar and is this blob going to hit Brighton guys ? Sorry I’m no good at this lol 

20095B36-DB9D-490F-8A3A-E4CFEA5503C1.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Just over 9 cm now on the ground here.

Next shower should bring it over to 10 cm hopefully.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat
1 minute ago, Jamie M said:

No one likes a show off

• Like 1

Posted
41 minutes ago, Southender said:

I’d say there’s a brief window between 00:00-06:00hrs of snow showers moving more along the Norfolk/Suffolk/Essex coast then the Thames as winds swing more NE then E/ESE after midnight.

They can visit Chelmsford too  

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Marie said:

No one likes a show off

Only time I can brag about anything snow related. Let me have my 2 seconds of fame. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Cumulus62 said:

They can visit Chelmsford too  

Hopefully we can get a proper covering that will properly settle

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
1 hour ago, TomSE12 said:

Agree with the comment above and that of pureasthedrivensnow, earlier. Some encouraging signs of perhaps one last hurrah, for Winter.

Quite a few of the 12z Model runs, are showing quite a bit of WAA to the West of the U.K., with heights rising towards our N.E.

They don't quite make it but a little bit of fine tuning, could see a Scandinavian High developing, with some very cold air pulled westwards.

Obviously, way out in F.I. Land but something to keep an eye on, and perhaps the METO are seeing the same signal.

QOUTE - PAGES:

"I don't think it's over yet for anywhere in Kent or south Essex tonight. Last few radar graps showing the streamers starting to pivot back the other other way.

Can we go through  all the different streamers this evening as the winds swing around to eventually south Easterly.

Still showers  up north so the increase in pressure will still allow convection.

Though gets to a point where the shorter sea track will reduce convection."

I'm hoping the above Member, along with Paul S, are right in the reading of the possible event unfolding, as we go through the overnight period, which may give those of us who live in the Thames Corridor, a little surprise to wake up to in the Morning. 

Although, by his own admission, Paul may have to brush up on his Radar reading, techniques!! Lol.

Regards,

Tom.  ❄️

Just want to post up a couple of clips of the extended Forecast, from 2 different Forecasting Agencies.

The first from Private Forecasting Organisation, MeteoGroup, courtesy of Darren Bett.

Weather for the week ahead - BBC Weather

Below, is the10 Day Trend from the Met Office, a very detailed Forecast with Alex Deakin, and a hint of that interesting suggestion that Wintry Weather could possibly return, before the end of February.

Regards,

Tom.   ❄️ 

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Marie said:

Hi guys ,My rain alarm just went off , I looked at the radar and is this blob going to hit Brighton guys ? Sorry I’m no good at this lol 

20095B36-DB9D-490F-8A3A-E4CFEA5503C1.png

Hi Marie.. the winds are starting to turn more ese, so in theory, the ppn should slowly move back towards you.

Just watch the way the blobs move on the radar and you'll be able to see it.

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Jamie M said:

Best snow since 2010!! 

And it's still snowing heavy now, surprised we've had no Amber warning really

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow
1 hour ago, D.V.R said:

Fingers crossed.. What's it like up there Addington? - ain't been up there since this cold spell started.

Would say we have about 2 to 3 cm not great really mate

but better than nothing

only ever got angel dust falls 

Hi peeps

Hope everyone is well and safe. It’s not been a bad day in Walthamstow. Today had some lovely sunny sky’s, although a few light snow flurries were flying around this morning. Sadly looks as if that’s it for our snow in this part of the region got clear skies and it’s freezing out there now.

I just was thinking this morning when I was seeing the light flakes falling that this might be the last goodbye to snow for this winter. Who knows still got quite a bit of February to go. 

Anyway peeps stay safe I guess it will probably get less busy here now in the next few days unless there is another snow surprise. It has been a real pleasure reading the posts in this busy period and the video and photos have been superb. I think we have all kind of built up a bond in here especially with all the regular ones. At least it has taken our minds away from the current situation we are stuck in.  Things will only get better for all of us and hopefully sooner than later life can start getting back to some normality.

keep up the good posts peeps take care for now and fingers crossed for another last hurrah from winter.

stay safe

regards

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Neilsouth said:

Best snow since 2010!! 

And it's still snowing heavy now, surprised we've had no Amber warning really

What is your max snow depth you've recorded over the last years? I'd presume the highest would be Feb 2012