Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
Just now, snowbob said:

Let’s hope they blow London way

Fingers crossed.. What's it like up there Addington? - ain't been up there since this cold spell started.

Posted

Seems abit marginal out there this evening

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
4 hours ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Latest Met office further outlook. 

Looks like this winter is Far from over. Bear in mind their outlooks have been amazingly accurate recently. 

Screenshot_20210210_162335.jpg

Agree with the comment above and that of pureasthedrivensnow, earlier. Some encouraging signs of perhaps one last hurrah, for Winter.

Quite a few of the 12z Model runs, are showing quite a bit of WAA to the West of the U.K., with heights rising towards our N.E.

They don't quite make it but a little bit of fine tuning, could see a Scandinavian High developing, with some very cold air pulled westwards.

Obviously, way out in F.I. Land but something to keep an eye on, and perhaps the METO are seeing the same signal.

QOUTE - PAGES:

"I don't think it's over yet for anywhere in Kent or south Essex tonight. Last few radar graps showing the streamers starting to pivot back the other other way.

Can we go through  all the different streamers this evening as the winds swing around to eventually south Easterly.

Still showers  up north so the increase in pressure will still allow convection.

Though gets to a point where the shorter sea track will reduce convection."

I'm hoping the above Member, along with Paul S, are right in the reading of the possible event unfolding, as we go through the overnight period, which may give those of us who live in the Thames Corridor, a little surprise to wake up to in the Morning. 

Although, by his own admission, Paul may have to brush up on his Radar reading, techniques!! Lol.

Regards,

Tom.  ❄️

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 6

Posted
7 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Speaking of lightning, a strike has been detected around 10-15 miles off the Kent coast

I was out in the garden in Clacton-on-Sea putting my rubbish out and I saw it.

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, snowbob said:

You lot in Kent have had a great cold spell 

good on ya

Thank you, not normally a snow magnet is Thanet so we're more than happy with our little lot, would be nice to have a complete snow event for the south east, maybe next time?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, to a point .....
7 minutes ago, craigore said:

Hasent really stopped at manston since 6ish.

Back garden is looking rather impressive now.

Cant see a blade of grass..☃️

And yes sledging sounds good tmrow..

Went up Nethercourt 2 days ago, by the time I got there it was like icy mud and snow, still alright, but I think early tomorrow could be quite good.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Clear skies and it feels pretty much like game over for this part of East Sussex, just too far west and everything sliding away to our south east or dying out before it gets here. Will be delighted to look a fool and be proven wrong later on though!

Been frustrating overall, though given we’re not in the most favoured location and others have got less than us I shouldn’t complain. It’s just been the case that we’ve been on the edge of things throughout and missed the heavier stuff, apart from a brief period during the day on Sunday when the ground was too warm for much to settle.

Well done to everyone though who’s hit the jackpot during this spell. On to the next chase. Will there be one more this winter?

Posted
15 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

The showers are moving more inland again.

A few are, but they're decaying rapidly as they do so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, to a point .....
7 minutes ago, A Wintry Mix said:

Thank you, not normally a snow magnet is Thanet so we're more than happy with our little lot, would be nice to have a complete snow event for the south east, maybe next time?

Agreed, Thanet is normally dreadful for snow. Being so close to the sea and the air mass over it, we never seem to get the really hot heat or the real cold that you get further inland. 

Edited by stubbys

Posted

I’d say there’s a brief window between 00:00-06:00hrs of snow showers moving more along the Norfolk/Suffolk/Essex coast then the Thames as winds swing more NE then E/ESE after midnight.

Edited by Southender
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
2 minutes ago, Ian Docwra said:

A few are, but they're decaying rapidly as they do so.

Let's see what happens. I'm hoping the heavier blobs survive the journey.

• Like 2

Posted

Well that was a bit of a surprise. The snow has all but reloaded all we lost in the partial thaw today , thanks to the Stour Streamer which always serves Canterbury well.  Could even be more on the way. Snow was much more intense than the Sunday / Monday fall and built up more quickly , -4 C outside now.

Edited by crazysnowcatz4
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, crazysnowcatz4 said:

Well that was a bit of a surprise. The snow has all but reloaded all we lost in the partial thaw today , thanks to the Stour Streamer which always serves Canterbury well.  Could even be more on the way. Snow was much more intense than the Sunday / Monday fall and built up more quickly , -4 C outside now.

Radar looks great, plenty of showers pouring in from the North Sea, was a whiteout earlier! Was stunning!

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, lawrenk said:

Clear skies and it feels pretty much like game over for this part of East Sussex, just too far west and everything sliding away to our south east or dying out before it gets here. Will be delighted to look a fool and be proven wrong later on though!

Been frustrating overall, though given we’re not in the most favoured location and others have got less than us I shouldn’t complain. It’s just been the case that we’ve been on the edge of things throughout and missed the heavier stuff, apart from a brief period during the day on Sunday when the ground was too warm for much to settle.

Well done to everyone though who’s hit the jackpot during this spell. On to the next chase. Will there be one more this winter?

Yes, well done for making it happen...!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS
9 minutes ago, stubbys said:

Went up Nethercourt 2 days ago, by the time I got there it was like icy mud and snow, still alright, but I think early tomorrow could be quite good.

Yep.

I was there on Monday also.

Mud fest by the time I got there .

Told my kids if they want to go in the morning then it has to be an early one before every kid in Thanet gets there..

Should be a good few fresh inches on it tonight..

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, stubbys said:

Agreed, Thanet is normally dreadful for snow. Being so close to the sea and the air mass over it, we never seem to get the really hot heat or the real cold that you get further inland. 

Back in the late 70's it seemed a regular occurrence to get snowed in at Monkton with drifts completely blocking  roads and it was cold enough for us to skate along the dykes.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Pleased for my fellow Kent folks to read of more snow. The line of snow that passed through here at lunchtime was super pretty. Big fluffy flakes and heavy in intensity. We have been spoilt. Seems imby more on the way perhaps looking at radar.  I'm going to run out of hot chocolate and choccy biscuits at this rate. 

I sincerely feel for you all that haven't had much, if any snow.  I would happily share mine with you if I could. But not the hot choc, that's all mine mwhahaha 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS
1 minute ago, A Wintry Mix said:

Back in the late 70's it seemed a regular occurrence to get snowed in at Monkton with drifts completely blocking  roads and it was cold enough for us to skate along the dykes.

I lived in Minster during the 80s

82,84,85,87 were great winters.

Couldn't get out of the village and when you got to the top of the roundabout the snow drifts were 5 foot high..

Great memories 

Posted
2 minutes ago, craigore said:

I lived in Minster during the 80s

82,84,85,87 were great winters.

Couldn't get out of the village and when you got to the top of the roundabout the snow drifts were 5 foot high..

Great memories 

The road between the two villages was always getting blocked as well

• Like 2