Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy all weather but LOVE snow and thunderstorms

Sun came out for 5 minutes now snowing steady again in Sheerness giving a dusting now heavy 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & Snowy, Hot & Sunny & Thunderstorms

A few flakes blowing in the wind down here... I think the South downs might kill off the heavier stuff though.

Last chance saloon, but at least we are still in the game... just!

Posted
1 hour ago, Kentieo Weather said:

Bang in the middle of me nothing falling yet got a feeling its going to amount to nothing.

Sun shining here and snow falling in chunks off the roof. Although its still sheet ice outside in the road in the close.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

I have to say this whole spell looks like being a huge disappointment here.

Just before last weekend, I think I recall @Paul Sherman wondering where it would rank in a list of outstanding cold spells over the years.

For this neck of the woods I would say this only comes second to the cold snap we had last month, never mind surpassing other years! 

Edited by Timmytour
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Heaviest snow flakes I've seen all winter , still looking good for the rest of the day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
40 minutes ago, jamesgold said:

Looks like I’m just the slightest bit too NW for this one

Hi fellow Bromleyite,

I know that feeling, oh so well.

When I first started being interested in Meteorology, around the age of 10, I always felt very let down by the old Weather Charts, at the end of BBC Forecasts.

During similar Wintry spells, that we're currently experiencing, the BBC would show all areas east of a line, stretching from the Wash down to the Isle of Wight, with the accompanying text: "Heavy Snow Showers, prolonged at times."

I lived in the North of Bromley, at the time, and would often gaze with envy at grey, snow laden cloud, fill the whole of the South-Eastern horizon, as a stream of Snow Showers tracked their way deeper down into Kent, and wonder why they weren't affecting Bromley.

It's only since I've been a Member of NetWeather (Jan.2005), that I've got to understand the mechanics of these Snow Streamer events.

It's ironic, after thinking that Laura Tobin was doing a good job, on her Good Morning Britain Forecast, in explaining the distribution of Today's Snow Showers, she finished with a line drawn down the spine of her Forecast Map, with the following accompanying text, for those areas East of that line: "Cold with frequent Snow Showers." Confusing to say the least, for Members of Joe Public!!

But at least Sally Williams on ITV's Regional Forecast put viewers straight by suggesting with her graphic that Snow Showers were likely to be confined to East Essex/Mid-Kent/East Sussex, where they might "clump" together at times.

Regards,

Tom. 

Edited by TomSE12
  • Thanks 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, mulzy said:

Looks like a wrap for most of London for *this* snap.  Think I have done well with 2cm on the ground.  Snow fell consistently for 3 days though accumulations were limited due to high temps on Sunday and light precipitation over the last two days.  Best winter for three years but not a classic.

That’s like saying the 1998 World Cup was England’s best performance since 1994

• Like 1

Posted

So by the strict definition 9am-9am I've just reached 72 hours (3 full days) sub zero. We went below freezing just before 9am on Sunday. Temp is -0.5C currently so quite close. Light snow starting here.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Timmytour said:

I have to say this whole spell looks like being a huge disappointment here.

Just before last weekend, I think I recall @Paul Sherman wondering where it would rank in a list of outstanding cold spells over the years.

For this neck of the woods I would say this only comes second to the cold snap we had last month, never mind surpassing other years! 

Yh got to agree with you mate, really underwhelming for most but there are some Jackpot zones just not as many as usual this time. Parts of NE Essex and SE Suffolk have had something similar to 1991 and 1987 whereas 40 miles down the coast it just about breaks into the top 10. 

I would say areas North of Norwich, SE Suffolk and NE Essex have hit the jackpot but thats literally a fraction of the SE Population and thats why most are disgruntled given the set up

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm spring days and summer thunderstorms

Top Of the morning to you all, a smashing sunny morning here in East Dene. was very windy last night, a lot of the snow has melted in the night. Looking forward to warmer days now. Sunset tonight at 5.07. Those long barmy summer evenings are just around the corner. Take care and jolly good Health to you all.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy all weather but LOVE snow and thunderstorms
11 minutes ago, Natty68 said:

Sun shining here and snow falling in chunks off the roof. Although its still sheet ice outside in the road in the close.

Edited by Chris74
Wrong person

Posted

Really nice big flakes, bodes well for a little later. I expect convection to kick up a notch and the streamer to move slightly more south, ending up giving a few hours of snow southeast of a line from Clacton-on-Sea > Southend > Worthing to Margate > Canterbury > Ashford > Eastbourne initially (the further west on that line, the weaker... may just be snizzle west of Tonbridge) and then transferring further south reaching Dover > Folkestone before disappearing.

Maybe 3-4cm in the most favoured locations.

• Like 1

Posted

Halesworth to Southwold about to get another good few Cm's in Suffolk, they really are in the Jackpot zone this spell

Nice shower moving into Southend and Shoebury, this was what I was talking about earlier with local differences of just a few miles

• Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

And .........Its stopped just not enough longevity in these showers ah well

Frustrating isn’t it. There just hasn’t been enough instability around to tip the showers into the heavy category for any length of time during this spell.

• Like 2

Posted

HEAVY SNOW!! ?️

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Halesworth to Southwold about to get another good few Cm's in Suffolk, they really are in the Jackpot zone this spell

Nice shower moving into Southend and Shoebury, this was what I was talking about earlier with local differences of just a few miles

Saying that it’s now snowing heavy here lol. Best of the spell! Big flakes.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

It appears that even an exceptionally cold night will be stolen from us here with temperatures now only expected to go to -1 instead of the - 4 to -5 that was forecast up until this morning.

I do dislike living on the coast sometimes!

Edited by tomp456

Posted

Streamer again seems to be setting up again for my location, that's 4 days straight of heavy snowfall if it hadn't melted away or settled we would probably have over half a metre by the end of today lol, if only

Posted
2 minutes ago, SHM040519 said:

Just as I say North Sea looks good, radar now suggesting it’s fragmenting ??‍♂️

There's a big batch of heavy snow incoming, I'd say make the most of it! :D

Posted

Do you think we'll get an accumulation in Sittingbourne, well Milton Regis, today? I keep seeing blue skies outside...  It would be nice if there was some sort of accumulation even if it just covered up all the squashed stuff.

• Like 1