Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
11 minutes ago, Kentieo Weather said:

Bang in the middle of me nothing falling yet got a feeling its going to amount to nothing.

Also bang in the middle here and it's been snowing gently for the past half hour (I think earlier on it was all evaporating on the way down!)

An icing-sugar dusting on all surfaces as a result, despite it being +0.7C according to the PWS in the garden.

Posted

There are signs of the activity in the Thames Estuary starting to liven up. It is also more in the required ENE direction.

Being parochial, hopefully this will result in precipitation reaching further inland in to Kent and East Sussex. Fingers crossed!

MM

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mr Maunder said:

There are signs of the activity in the Thames Estuary starting to liven up. It is also more in the required ENE direction.

Being parochial, hopefully this will result in precipitation reaching further inland in to Kent and East Sussex. Fingers crossed!

MM

Yes looking at the radar if the intensity over the Sea can keep up over Land with the Showers Kent and East Sussex are going to have quite the day of it whilst the rest of us look on in awe

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Paul Sherman said:

Yes looking at the radar if the intensity over the Sea can keep up over Land with the Showers Kent and East Sussex are going to have quite the day of it whilst the rest of us look on in awe

WhT do you think canterbury could get? 2cm? Radar looking good. 

Posted

Morning

-0.7c and DP still sub -4c this morning.

I see The Twig has slowed its movement south in the latest fax charts? Originally it was centred more over central/SE Kent and up into SE Essex by midday and now that’s not the case until midnight.

I hope we get something more of interest today. Had some terrible news about our 12 year old cat yesterday and would love something to cheer up my son, if only a temporary distraction. He’s just like me in his love of snow!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

The models continue to indicate a weak streamer slowly slipping south over Kent and E Sussex today. EC below:

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2021021000_14_21011_216.thumb.png.83d381518fafa8f80ce4e6cd471ecb84.pngus_model-en-087-0_modez_2021021000_16_21011_216.thumb.png.b4dd3f090cfd532967f073fd81d617c5.png

Fax still has the convergence twig at midnight:

PPVE89.thumb.gif.5dbef4d7cb3afe647f9ca294c0893b1f.gif

Looks like it's game for snow over for much of the SE though for this cold spell, though E Anglia likely to further snow showers across Norfolk, north Cambs and also along Suffolk/Essex coasts, unless models aren't picking up snow showers developing/moving SE inland away from coasts.

Talking point now for most will be the low minima overnight for next few days before it turns less cold early next week.

Glad to get a covering at home of around 4cm since Sunday from light but almost continuous snow since Sunday morning, that stopped around lunch time yesterday, not a lot, but nice not to be too disruptive so as I can get to work. Here at work near Heathrow this morning, there's only trace amounts of snow, so grateful I live in NE Surrey where we got a lot more.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

Morning fine peeps 

Temp -0.3c

So only just below Zero.

I can tell you we just had a small flurry so that equates to 4 days of falling snow plus 4 days of lying snow with possibilities today.

It's no mother of all cold and snowy spell but frankly after the last 3 years of nowt it will do fine 

Many thanks Snow gods..

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, lottiekent said:

Morning

-0.7c and DP still sub -4c this morning.

I see The Twig has slowed its movement south in the latest fax charts? Originally it was centred more over central/SE Kent and up into SE Essex by midday and now that’s not the case until midnight.

I hope we get something more of interest today. Had some terrible news about our 12 year old cat yesterday and would love something to cheer up my son, if only a temporary distraction. He’s just like me in his love of snow!

Sending love to you and family and hopefully we will see something special today x

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, craigore said:

Morning fine peeps 

Temp -0.3c

So only just below Zero.

I can tell you we just had a small flurry so that equates to 4 days of falling snow plus 4 days of lying snow with possibilities today.

It's no mother of all cold and snowy spell but frankly after the last 3 years of nowt it will do fine 

Many thanks Snow gods..

Also from. Ramsgate and its been awesome hasn't it hope we see some more snow today fella 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters

Light snow here in Tunbridge Wells - a bit earlier than I was expecting. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Looks like a mid Kent streamer in the making so reckon places like tonbridge in with a shout of a few cos today and it will penetrate into Sussex.everyhere else that’s it in terms of snow now for the cold overnight temperatures.

Temp here in Locksbottom is -2.9( low of -3.1 reached at 7.15).we have been 72 hours sub zero but think with the sun coming out here we will just get above zero so 2018 record of 90 hours will be safe.

enjoy the snow those who get it.stay safe

• Like 1

Posted

Few Showers sneaking closer to the coast here in Essex over the last hour and having a small flurry atm but flakes are a tad polystyrene in nature leaving little balls of snow on ice surfaces. Nice to see the 4th day of snow falling.

Looking east off the Estuary Coast can see the stronger showers about 30 mile further out though with fall streaks so as things clear here later might be some nice cloudscapes drifting along just out of touch. A bit like a reverse of that video yesterday when Kent was clear and we were under the showers.

Hope things go ok Lottiekent 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, kate1 said:

Light snow here in Tunbridge Wells - a bit earlier than I was expecting. 

And here - but we are in the same place - very small flakes - seems to be sticking as surfaces are very cold

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Let's hope so - the depths haven't exactly inspired a great deal of awe so far! - though it's lovely to see snow falling.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms in summer, cold/snow in winter
8 minutes ago, craigore said:

Morning fine peeps 

Temp -0.3c

So only just below Zero.

Many thanks Snow gods..

4 days - I just said the exact thing to the wife when we woke up. Good for Thanet especially

Posted
Just now, Stu_London said:

And here - but we are in the same place - very small flakes - seems to be sticking as surfaces are very cold

Everything is frozen solid here still - we are on the top of a hill and snow/ice always linger for days after everyone else has lost theirs. Good luck for today!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Morning everyone. Really hoping Bexhill can get under the streamer!

Posted

Beautiful morning, had several more cm yesterday from snow flurries and a fresh inch or so overnight. surpassed 20cm with ease and it looks stunning with partially blue skies with the sun shining. -2.7c and a snow shower incoming again 

Edited by Delka
  • Like 2