IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
15 minutes ago, Snowfish2 said:

Precipitation to the north of us and not making it into South East frustrating close..... 

Wont do till much later, winds need to go more north east :D

• Thanks 1

Posted

Interesting reports of lightning on the radar, wonder if its associated with the low in northern France, maybe pushing energy north.. Lets see what happens. 

Screenshot_20210210_040908_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings

Cold and dry this morning final remains of the little snow we had at the weekend have long since gone.

Anyone know when the next event is looking likely or can I get my shorts out ?

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like today's offerings are gathering some traction out in the estuary - a much more north easterly direction so should me a more mid kent affair. Lets see if it gets as far and over the downs in the next hour or so.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

Seems like a bit of the snow have evaporated over night - I can see more of the ground and the radar don't look very promising either.

Posted

Not sure if my location will get snow today, not expecting anymore than a dusting of it does snow, really need warmer weather now as this cold snap is going down as a 1/10 for me 

Posted
7 minutes ago, clark3r said:

Not sure if my location will get snow today, not expecting anymore than a dusting of it does snow, really need warmer weather now as this cold snap is going down as a 1/10 for me 

The twig might go slightly west of your location but it wont be far away - if it retains any intensity or even makes it that far. 

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, clark3r said:

Show how much location count. In Canterbury I would go for 8/10 .  Slightly iffy start with more rain than expected , until it turned on Sunday into a period of 36 hours of near continual snow. .Bitter and sustained cold plus a decent top up on Monday night.  Think this cold air will be hard to push away., Brighton may get some break down snow Saturday / Sunday .. Think I will have to wait a bit longer ..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Another 5-6cm falling as I leave for work! And it’s smashing it down again. This isn’t too far behind the BFTE in my ranking now. Epic cold spell. Probably just as much has fallen since 2018, if not maybe more. 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!

Clearer skies here and very cold as we enter the home stretch for snow risk. 

Not a classic cold spell for most sadly, but a nice distraction during the lockdown boredom, and the first proper snow of any kind for three years here. Some areas fared exceptionally well which was good to see. 

In terms of sheer volume of hours with snow this was impressive, accumulation not so much. 

If Feb 91 scores a 10, I'd give it a 4 or 5 for my location. If everything had stuck and settled, it would have been a solid 6 I reckon. 

In the absence of something incredible emerging, my thoughts now turning to searching for spring warmth. Some dry weather would be a good start as we move towards March

Posted

at least 5 days with snow falling

probably end up with 7 days of snow laying

Although depths not particularly impressive, I would probably give this spell a solid 5 out of ten. For reference since 2009 I would give

Feb 2009 - 9

Jan 2010 - 8

Dec 2010 - 9.5

Jan 2013 - 5.5

Mar 2013 - 9

Feb 2018 - 6.5

I did live in different locations during those periods, so my perception is altered by that fact. Nothing else in between scores more than a 1, so not worth noting, even if I could remember them. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer sunshine

Just popped my head out the front and was greeted to this...what you can’t really see is all that ‘clear snowy area’ is actually ice  

F2BC65CA-219E-4E21-91A6-89BD53869991.jpeg

Posted

Looks like the twig is set up between Sheerness and Herne Bay with a few showers either side. 

Medway will do ok - how much makes it past the north downs and the M20 - remains to be seen - I doubt there will be much, if any by the time it reaches the south coast, but I if there is I would say Portsmouth and areas slightly to the east of that.

All subject to change if the upper level winds change from now. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Stu_London said:

Looks like the twig is set up between Sheerness and Herne Bay with a few showers either side. 

Medway will do ok - how much makes it past the north downs and the M20 - remains to be seen - I doubt there will be much, if any by the time it reaches the south coast, but I if there is I would say Portsmouth and areas slightly to the east of that.

All subject to change if the upper level winds change from now. 

Bang in the middle of me nothing falling yet got a feeling its going to amount to nothing.

Posted
1 minute ago, Kentieo Weather said:

Bang in the middle of me nothing falling yet got a feeling its going to amount to nothing.

The drier air than of late might mean that quite a bit that is showing on the radar is not making it to the ground - should improve a bit as the moisture comes off the estuary

Posted

Morning everyone - Last of the Snowy days for some

7am Obs

Temp is -2.7c

Dewp is -6.4c

Weather is Flurries 

Wind from the North East gusting to NNE

Our temp here is much lower due to the North Easterly element meaning we are not getting any warmth from the Tepid Bath out to our east.

Today I expect an area from Sheerness down through Maidstone and onto Brighton firstly with the Eastern Extent Manston through Canterbury and down to Folkestone to be in the prime spot

As the divergence changes through late morning this Cz relaxes further south and brings more better chances for places in East and West Sussex and into the Channel.

• Like 5