Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
34 minutes ago, wellington boot said:

Are these charts publicly available anywhere? I've been looking for them on and off the past couple of days and can't find them.

Try lighting wizard.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
1 hour ago, alexisj9 said:

What's left after today's sunny skies.

IMG_20210209_173109.thumb.jpg.da88edf61eb918d0c8755806fe39b720.jpgIMG_20210209_173101.thumb.jpg.4977de3e54872a0d13dcc214bc536043.jpg

I can not walk down that, using next doors stairs.

IMG_20210209_173130.thumb.jpg.8da710a2adc998761564e1c18c1ddb81.jpgIMG_20210209_173230.thumb.jpg.1d2ef822feb7d3e9ecf851e14264e215.jpg

and that road and pavement are dangerous. Cars still driving on it though.

That last picture looks lethal.. Can't somebody at least throw some grit down on that pavement?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Radar def building around Clacton and Colchester and moving WSW. 

Posted

Amazing how every easterly develops a dry zone south of Norwich and north of Ipswich. Exactly the same as 2010, convection everywhere except this zone.  Its like this literally every time.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

Hopefully 1 last through of the dice..

Roads are lethal tonight as are pavements.

The wind out there is perishing 

Temp currently -1.5c

Screenshot_20210209-190456_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
4 minutes ago, danm said:

Radar def building around Clacton and Colchester and moving WSW. 

We certainly are starting to push the activation button out east-/North Sea.. and why not .. it ties in perfectly with the regional forecast.. as we go deeper into the evening/night ✊

250BA1A0-F479-43FF-B4DC-5AB4FD4EC208.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!

Is the Thames Streamer building at last??

Never has such a set up given so little. 

Here, anyway. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!
1 minute ago, clark3r said:

That is def building my knowledge of Thames streamers is not good but is this one that is building? 

Ha, ditto

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
Just now, Mark said:

Is the Thames Streamer building at last??

Never has such a set up given so little. 

Here, anyway. 

One would think streamer activity could at last be rearing!!.. as again compare to forecast.. @becoming heavy and prolonged... that’s as match like to the fore mentioned you’ll get.. tonight is firmly radar night!!!

• Like 2

Posted

Pretty disappointing all in all. Decent snow for only a few. Just cold with blowing dandruff. Overhyped event. Never known such poor results from an Easterly. No doubt the same for most areas. 

Posted

Forget the M4 it’s the M3 the snow has stayed on the same track for 2 days never dropping south of Basingstoke, every time it looks like a proper lump will hit it dies out but north it stays stronger, must be the huge mountains around here 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold, ice, frost, thundersnow,
1 minute ago, saintkip said:

Forget the M4 it’s the M3 the snow has stayed on the same track for 2 days never dropping south of Basingstoke, every time it looks like a proper lump will hit it dies out but north it stays stronger, must be the huge mountains around here 

Geography can be crucial with streamers. Any significant hills (let alone mountains) and its the end.

Hopefully this streamer provides something of note for both of us. Fingers crossed.

Posted
Just now, sukayuonsensnow said:

Geography can be crucial with streamers. Any significant hills (let alone mountains) and its the end.

Hopefully this streamer provides something of note for both of us. Fingers crossed.

Very true but normally I’m slap bang in the middle of streamers, think it’s just not heavy enough.

Posted

I think that fax chart with the best estuary convergence line was at 6am tomorrow. 10 hours is a long time... let’s see what happens. Light/moderate stuff here in Bromley and the wind has really picked up. Maybe this is the precursor to a streamer??

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, sun and snow.

All these discussions about the ground being too warm.

It’s a shame we couldn’t swap tomorrow nights forecast for last Fridays. My WeatherPro app is showing -9 min for London. That would have sorted the ground out nicely prior to the snow

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold, ice, frost, thundersnow,
1 minute ago, london-snow said:

6cm of snow here and still coming down. 

Whereabouts in Surrey are you? 

Posted
2 minutes ago, sukayuonsensnow said:

I’ve experienced that when I lived in Oxted at the foot of Botley Hill. I left for work and it was clear and sunny. Train went through the tunnel and we exited into Narnia! I had no idea a streamer was effecting London as the hill stopped it from progressing to where I lived 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
38 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Have just had a little peruse of some charts more importantly the ones which could create cz (convergence zone) showers and must admit not seeing much really until tomorrow morning for the Thames Estuary around 9am and then this convergence zone heads south and changes shape a little bit affecting a more NNE-SSW Zone through Kent and Sussex.

There looks to be small showers throughout tonight but these will struggle to amount to much, there might be the odd one that might surprise us though so not ruling anything out.

High Pressure settles in on Thursday so Wednesday night into Thursday morning could see -8c to -12c temperatures across any snowfields, then a really cold South East wind takes us into the weekend. Hopefully drying things out, should be some amazingly low dewpoints by then as well, probably see some -12c to -15c dewpoints but little sign of Snow for Friday, Saturday and Sunday for the SE at this stage.

Hi Paul,

I was thinking that myself, earlier. This from the 12z ARPEGE Model. PPN, 850's, and 850 STREAM LINES:

image.thumb.png.aab16cfbdc4dda782ecd405f798f2ca5.png  image.thumb.png.4fff7da3b2f98b2bdfeacff2de611af3.png

image.thumb.png.a7c84d7314f1b93e693cce596572e8e1.png

The Model breaks out the slightest of Streamers, Upper Air (850's), look pretty conducive for some convection over Southern N.Sea (-11/-12),

and flow between N.E and E.N.E. 

A slight converging of flows, looks to occur a few hours earlier, over the Southern N. Sea.  

image.thumb.png.060b61895b79583c1669f7b47662fd9a.png  image.thumb.png.964a73783d2cfff956c6db81ba2ad7e5.png

It looks likely that the angle of flow isn't quite in Thames Streamer territory, IMO halfway in between. 

So could be another light Snowfall, for areas South of the River, from N.Kent down into W.Sussex? 

This slight possibility lasts until around mid-Morning, when rising pressure should put the lid, on any convection firing.

And as Paul states, that will no doubt be the end of any Streamer potential, in this current spell.

We can then look forward to some very cold Nights, with possibly some of the lowest temperatures seen in the London area for nigh on a Decade, according to Tomasz Schafernaker's extended Forecast, for MeteoGroup. See below:

Weather for the week ahead - BBC Weather

Regards,

Tom. ❄️

• Like 6