Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
Just now, Mark wheeler said:

Of course as the snow starts to dissipate it starts settling widely on all surfaces. 

The tie is between temperatures dropping as the sun sets (allowing the ground to cool a bit) and the energy for convective showers also dropping.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

The convection from off the Suffolk cost down into London has been fizzling out but back building increasing/intensifying off the Suffolk coast again?

Posted

Evening guys. Been trolling this thread since this all began. I check the weather far to many times a day. Need to ask a question. Does a winter high pressure system get pushed away or does it generally get dragged back to where it belongs?? Thanks. 
jas 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

92C9C115-71A7-4B53-BEE8-FBB9B70E9BDD.jpeg

• Like 5

Good evening peeps

hope everyone is safe and well. Been rather overcast day here in Walthamstow with plenty of snow falling, but the snow was not all that heavy although quite big in size at times. We have had some melt of lying snow as temperature lifted a bit during the day. Most of the pavements are clear apart from patches. 

It’s a bit sad I know the cold is still here for now but I think falling snow will get less and less now. Was nice while it was falling  so cannot look back at this winter and say we had nothing, although would have liked to have seen more in depth  in lying snow. From later next week looks like milder air has got our name on it, but there is still a lot of cold air in the continent so things could still change.

The next big question is if it gets milder next week how long for? And will we still have time left to squeeze another snowey spell before we say bye to winter. Who knows 

Anyway still the odd light flake coming down here but for the next few hours I think it will be clearing up unless the radar says different.

hope you all have a great evening

stay safe and warm

regards

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms
6 minutes ago, danm said:

The convection from off the Suffolk cost down into London has been fizzling out but back building increasing/intensifying off the Suffolk coast again?

I was thinking that but maybe hoping more than reality. 

Posted

Snow shower here. Left a dusting where it melted today. 

Let’s all do the snow dance and hopefully a massive streamer will appear and bury us all in a foot of snow...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Fog, Frost, Storms and Rain if it rains like it means it.
20 minutes ago, Ian Docwra said:

Fun with Bruno, our Husky/American Bulldog cross, today.

DSC06620.jpeg

What a beauty

Posted
Just now, Paul Sherman said:

Have just had a little peruse of some charts more importantly the ones which could create cz (convergence zone) showers and must admit not seeing much really until tomorrow morning for the Thames Estuary around 9am and then this convergence zone heads south and changes shape a little bit affecting a more NNE-SSW Zone through Kent and Sussex.

There looks to be small showers throughout tonight but these will struggle to amount to much, there might be the odd one that might surprise us though so not ruling anything out.

High Pressure settles in on Thursday so Wednesday night into Thursday morning could see -8c to -12c temperatures across any snowfields, then a really cold South East wind takes us into the weekend. Hopefully drying things out, should be some amazingly low dewpoints by then as well, probably see some -12c to -15c dewpoints but little sign of Snow for Friday, Saturday and Sunday for the SE at this stage.

Hi Paul, thanks for the fab posts, do you see canterbury in the line for the streamer should it materialise? Thanks !

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, SHM040519 said:

Hi Paul, thanks for the fab posts, do you see canterbury in the line for the streamer should it materialise? Thanks !

Yes from Midday tomorrow until 6pm so a nice 6 hour window to finish this spell off.

For the SE I hope the models change a bit or this could go out with a whimper and the undercutting cold dry south easterly drying out any frontal system with the battleground further North and West with temperatures just creeping up slowly to settle around 4-6c by start of next week. A bit like a wasted hot summer spell of weather, you want it broken down by a Spanish Plume but then the 30c heat gets swept away by a break down from the NW with temps in the high teens and no fireworks

• Like 2

Posted
28 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

You need to look at the 600mb and 700mb Isotachs that might give you a clue a to where things might take shape. Where these winds converge will be clear to where the Twig as people call them takes shape. And anywhere over the warm SST's will create shower clouds at 10,000ft.

Certainly will not be clear here tonight but might be where your located as your a good 50-60 miles from where the convergence zone might set up.

Are these charts publicly available anywhere? I've been looking for them on and off the past couple of days and can't find them.

Posted
32 minutes ago, hernebaylooby said:

Evening my lovelies, how is it looking tomorrow for herne bay and Maidstone? Got to take  drive from the bay to maidstone tomorrow for an appointment they cancelled today because of the road conditions but rescheduled for tomorrow just wondering what my chances are of it still going ahead 

Looks like you might be under the twig with that journey. But all subject to adjustment.

Would check the radar before you travel

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, wellington boot said:

Are these charts publicly available anywhere? I've been looking for them on and off the past couple of days and can't find them.

No not publicly available, I have a few friends who work for various met agencies that send me snippets as long as I dont share them on open forums, thems the rules and If I flouted them they wouldnt give them to me again lol

I think you might be able to pay for them somewhere though although have not looked into that myself, I just leach of a few friends haha

Maybe I should have worded it better to Woburn when I said you need to look at the 600/700mb winds he/she probably cant so unfair of me to say that

Edited by Paul Sherman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: lots of snow and cold crisp mornings! thunder storms!
2 minutes ago, Stu_London said:

Looks like you might be under the twig with that journey. But all subject to adjustment.

Would check the radar before you travel

Thank you 

Posted

Is that something a bit more noteable coming into the Essex coast now on the radar?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold, ice, frost, thundersnow,
Just now, GSP said:

Is that something a bit more noteable coming into the Essex coast now on the radar?

I noticed that.

Also maybe (?) indications of a streamer along the M3 as well. Not gonna get my hopes up being under that line.

Screenshot 2021-02-09 at 18.43.04.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

France-Here's some snow terms and conditions apply obviously, 

1)It will be light

2)It will be Powdery meaning that making a Snowman is nearly impossible. 

3)the sun will come out earlier than expected and melt half of it by mid day on Tuesday

With Brexit

France

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Thames streamer setting up maybe looking at the radar .

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, Mark wheeler said:

Thames streamer setting up maybe looking at the radar .

Was going to say I quite like the improvement in convection happening at the moment... I don’t think that’s clutching too many straws is it...

• Like 2