Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

Well, overall this easterly spell is underwhelming except for a select few. Been under cold uppers all day and had about 15 minutes of light snow.

Even the showers to the south of Essex are nothing like those further north in the country.

The south east used to get buried with these easterlies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot summers

Gone very dark here and heavier light shower 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow
4 minutes ago, Icebox said:

I beg to differ... nothing down on the West Sussex coast, unless your calling my now disappeared 0.0025 cm just enough to make a snowball-bearing an event?

Those of us around Worthing have not had a decent fall in years... probably 2013, I'm sure Sleety will remember. I don't begrudge anyone the snow they have and I hope they make the most of it, but don't fall into the trap of thinking everyone in the region has seen a decent fall because a lot have not.

My hopes are pinned on tonights possible streamer or a snowy breakdown 

Fair enough and I apologise.I hope when the winds veer to NE OVERNIGHT into tomorrow the streamer goes through Kent into West Sussex so you get a good covering❄️

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters
12 minutes ago, Snowy Bob said:

Afternoon all,

Couldn't give you a figure on the number of times I was close to slipping on my backside earlier. Have advised mother not to venture out - going to go up to her and my sisters tomorrow with their shopping - not to mention Dear Leader's Sheba!

It is absolutely lethal out there! - not sure of the temperature, but it sure feels colder than it has done since this spell of weather started. There's very little thaw here, although the sun is shining. I appreciate that the Sheba must be delivered come what may, but take care!

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, jamesgold said:

I reckon there’s a little glitch on NW radar. That little very light stretch from Orpington to gravesend hasn’t moved despite heavier stuff round it. I’ll see if I’m right in a bit if heavier stuff gets to me soon. Certainly become darker...

This made me laugh, so refreshing when you see there are others nearby refreshin  the radar every 5 mins - to your point nothin in Orpington - some say the winds might back a smidge more north east soon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold, ice, frost, thundersnow,

Met Office updated again and really goes for it with a few hours of heavy snow this evening. in NE Hampshire.

Either its wrong or the streamer will come to life further on into the evening. Need some more consistent greens and yellows before I'll be convinced, especially this side of the M25.

On a sidenote, some models indicating a Kent clipper later tomorrow?

Edited by sukayuonsensnow
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold

So the temp rose, the dew point dropped! the sun came out and the endless tiny particles stopped falling! 

hope others managed to see some snow! 

temp 0.8 

dp-3.8 

stay safe x 

(Farnham, Surrey) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

So where is this record breaking cold we meant to be having this weekend lol, "worse then the weather in 62" funny how those guys not posted on the model forum since Sunday .Infact next Monday looks like a barmy 7c

Id rate this as 6/10 for effort.  Yes seen about 4cm most of that has thawed today in the sun. Oh and not been windy at all today  either. Roll on spring this can all do one now 

Edited by slater
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & Snowy, Hot & Sunny & Thunderstorms
7 minutes ago, Hotspur62 said:

Fair enough and I apologise.I hope when the winds veer to NE OVERNIGHT into tomorrow the streamer goes through Kent into West Sussex so you get a good covering❄️

No need to apologise... I'm not getting my hopes up, we don't seem to have had any luck this winter and I'm not expecting that to change. But stranger things have happened of course.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, Icebox said:

No need to apologise... I'm not getting my hopes up, we don't seem to have had any luck this winter and I'm not expecting that to change. But stranger things have happened of course.

Me nether, and not only regarding the weather! 

Posted

Seeing some proper flakes for a change, Greenhithe 

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

This made me laugh, so refreshing when you see there are others nearby refreshin  the radar every 5 mins - to your point nothin in Orpington - some say the winds might back a smidge more north east soon

Yeah I really should stop checking it Its definitely getting darker here, let’s hope 

Posted

Afternoon everyone,

First time since Sunday morning it's stopped snowing for more than an hour and the suns out making it rather nice but still very cold!

Around 15-20cm accumulation in my back garden, but it had acted as a bit of a trap for the drifts blowing about. 

I've just cleared the driveway and paths around my house so I hope this means we get another big dumping tomorrow

20210209_143150.jpg

20210209_143157.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spring, sunshine, snow

sun has been out here for a couple of hours and melted the snow on the road and the thaw has set in for a bit before the temps tumble again - I don't think we'll have much more now, although the forecast says tomorrow we'll get some in the morning - it's all passing just north of us and the wind would need to change to bring it down slightly away from the current streamer, but 3 days of snow has been a nice bonus in lockdown

Posted

The snow is very hit and miss, even in the more affected areas. Some places getting barely a dusting, a few miles up the road a few inches, for some even been snowed in.

Check out the Scotland thread, some eastern parts (near Perth, Dundee) having snowmaggedon through today.

Posted

Maybe if we ask nicely, Dundee might give us some of their snow

The Thames streamer is still there, but really needs to intensify to me of real note. Maybe the low over France moving east might do something to it (or the wind direction)

Posted
1 minute ago, sukayuonsensnow said:

The snow is very hit and miss, even in the more affected areas. Some places getting barely a dusting, a few miles up the road a few inches, for some even been snowed in.

Check out the Scotland thread, some eastern parts (near Perth, Dundee) having snowmaggedon through today.

And that's been my point - it's been very limp down here.

To be fair, this easterly didn't look like having the low thicknesses of the classic ones of the past. But I would have expected far better than what it's actually delivered down here. A nice cold spell, but 2/10 compared to what could have been.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

Today been mostly sunny and dry, had a lovely walk in King's Woods and a bit of a snowball fight with my parents but I think i've had my fun in the snow now and can't wait for it to start feeling warm which is more my weather preference 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

0.0c here, making it the second ice day in a row here

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
21 minutes ago, Hotspur62 said:

If the met office Fax is on the money, you could draw a line from Bromley,Gatwick,down to Brighton as the Westward extent.

We might be aided regarding some extra oomph to the snow too in the form of Low Pressure close by again.

The Eastward extend probably Eastbourne and take a general line NE to the North Kent coast.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

After the last few days of snow melt I have come to several conclusions. Apart from weather fronts giving large dumpings of snow I can no longer be bothered to chase cold spells in February. After January I will leave it until the next year. If there's one thing worse then no snow it is having snow that doesn't settle or melt quickly. Sun is just too strong even with clouds. 

Also not to expect any settling snow after a mild spell as the ground retains heat for a while. The only way round this for some people was  getting a large covering at night that lowered the ground temperatures and allowed the snow to settle or some hard frosts for a few days before any snow. 

And finally not to waste time with weather apps as they are rubbish. 

I realise that we do get some very good snowy spells in February but boy is it exhausting. 

• Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, Great Plum said:

My dad phoned me from Suffolk to say that he had heard that Sussex and Surrey will get a load of snow on 18feb - I asked where he got this info from - daily express apparently ?‍♂️

Nuff said!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & Snowy, Hot & Sunny & Thunderstorms
20 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Me nether, and not only regarding the weather! 

Haha... your in a better position than us.

I m sure Maureen will keep you up!

• Like 1