Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
53 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

There's a Thames streamer now, but it going WNW rather than wsw due to wind direction, so get Essex and north London. Should come back south later.

Yep sorry I think I was accidentally getting a bit IMBYish

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!

Lucked out today. Best of the spell by a mile in terms of notable snowfall. Alternating fat flakes, heavy graupel, then lighter on repeat. Perhaps a few cms from this morning. I think the bin lid has topped out about 10cms or so, but far less on the deck. 

Expected about 7-10cms before the spell started - if only it could've stuck around, we'd probably have got there!!

Still, more than I had any right to expect given the complications we've had getting decent snow in this spell.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Fog, Frost, Storms and Rain if it rains like it means it.
8 minutes ago, sukayuonsensnow said:

We need the snow to be heavier than it is. Seems to die once it gets past the M25.

It actually made me laugh out loud when I checked the radar and noticed I am currently too far South. At about 10.30 a.m. I was too far North having spent yesterday being too far West. What's the betting the breakdown swoops in and I am too far East?

Edited by Mizzle
Typo
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, snow raven said:

Skies have darkened again and it's started to snow again.  A change in wind direction to ENE again perhaps?

I was thinking same thing getting darker and perhaps the starting of a streamer reaching us 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold, ice, frost, thundersnow,

Met Office have updated my local area with some heavy snow for a time this evening. (not sure if this means anything, mind)

We'll see what happens with this streamer

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Great Plum said:

My dad phoned me from Suffolk to say that he had heard that Sussex and Surrey will get a load of snow on 18feb - I asked where he got this info from - daily express apparently ?‍♂️

My nan used to take the Daily Express, in recent years I've come to understand why - its commitment to the weather is 2nd to none! If I were to nitpick I'd say it underplays severe/extreme events but I suppose you could put that down to classic British reserve

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, sukayuonsensnow said:

Met Office have updated my local area with some heavy snow for a time this evening. (not sure if this means anything, mind)

We'll see what happens with this streamer

And the good old BBC have me down for 2 hours of heavy snow from 3-5pm not happening 

Posted
33 minutes ago, Great Plum said:

Interestingly, whilst the temperature has only just got above freezing here for the first time in 48 hours, the local ponds have not frozen - is this due to the wind? Additionally, the deeper puddles have barely frozen...

Yes, and the fact that the water has been relatively warm recently after what has been a mild winter.  We have two large ponds and they are only slushilly(!)-covered.  With still, clear nights they should freeze easily.  A calm, clear night has a steep temperature gradient from the ground/water up, whereas the wind both keeps the water moving and mixes up the air so that the water surface-level will be exposed to, say, -2C whereas it might be -8C in still air with the steeper gradient.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Rapid melt going on now. Drip. Drip. Drip.

I'm OK for summer to get rolling now. Had my snow fix, been out and played. Bring on the summer storms!

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, North Downs Snowboarder said:

My nan used to take the Daily Express, in recent years I've come to understand why - its commitment to the weather is 2nd to none! If I were to nitpick I'd say it underplays severe/extreme events but I suppose you could put that down to classic British reserve

Ther tabloids generally hype the weather hugely!  They are not known for their worship of facts.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Heavy snow again here. Been like this on and off all day

• Like 2

Posted

Disappointed so far with the NW radar - it has failed to reflect reality quite often in this spell - it shows a continuous cover of light snow over our area now and we actually have partly blue skies widely and nothing falling at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm spring days and summer thunderstorms

We have had some nice sunshine, which after days of endless cloud is a treat, but the icicles and lying snow and biting east wind make me want to stay indoors in front of my roaring fire. So looking forward to the spring now. And big thunderstorms in the summer. Take care all, and jolly good health to you all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

O. Just been in the Mods.

Not many happy people so quickly got out...

Temp is now back at or below zero...

Good ground cover still but had some melting on path areas. Will be very icy this evening..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Heat, Fog

Noticeable thaw now in Stow for the last couple of hours. All of that will freeze of course in the next couple of hours so some tricky conditions later.

Posted

no excitement here today, had happy postie thanking me for last wk warning him about the cold spell, quite a thaw happening had only a couple of small snow flurries today. Fabulous pic in todays mail newspaper of snow in orford suffolk when we lived there did have good snow fall in january 2013 in fact got stuck in our friends farm on their track to village road, wont forget that in a hurry have a good afternoon everyone.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Ian Docwra said:

Disappointed so far with the NW radar - it has failed to reflect reality quite often in this spell - it shows a continuous cover of light snow over our area now and we actually have partly blue skies widely and nothing falling at all.

The Netweather radar has been OK for my area

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Ian Docwra said:

Yes, and the fact that the water has been relatively warm recently after what has been a mild winter.  We have two large ponds and they are only slushilly(!)-covered.  With still, clear nights they should freeze easily.  A calm, clear night has a steep temperature gradient from the ground/water up, whereas the wind both keeps the water moving and mixes up the air so that the water surface-level will be exposed to, say, -2C whereas it might be -8C in still air with the steeper gradient.

Very interesting. I was just out for a walk in the woods and the ground is still muddy and not frozen. Most puddles completely unfrozen in the woods (Sandy soil). Yesterday whilst out and about all puddles on the concrete and roads were frozen solid (cant check today as staying at home). I was wondering if the sandy soil has something to do with it as sand conducts heat and loses heat very quickly. Any thoughts anyyone?

Posted
15 minutes ago, Number 23 said:

Lucked out today. Best of the spell by a mile in terms of notable snowfall. Alternating fat flakes, heavy graupel, then lighter on repeat. Perhaps a few cms from this morning. I think the bin lid has topped out about 10cms or so, but far less on the deck. 

Expected about 7-10cms before the spell started - if only it could've stuck around, we'd probably have got there!!

Still, more than I had any right to expect given the complications we've had getting decent snow in this spell.

About the same in Galleywood too 

• Like 1

Posted

Huge streamer setting up.. someone will get lucky.. and if the winds could back a smidge north east please for more if south east London and north west Kent. 

• Like 2