Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

Snow has picked up again in Shirley, Croydon and temp has shot down to 0.5C ❄❄❄❄

Edited by yamkin
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
5 minutes ago, simonhall6 said:

I wouldn’t worry what the apps say, they have been totally wrong for me, had me down for zero snow on the met app this morning for all day today and it hasn’t stopped snowing all day, They have both been way off with precipitation and temperature .

Yep, apps have been useless. This spell just further emphasises how poor apps and even the short range high-res models are at forecasting convective showers/streamers. Yesterday they were way off. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer sunshine

There’s strange blue clouds and a yellow thing in the sky there’s also a sound of drip drip drip in the garden! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Decent streamer set up for South Essex here, just constantly going between light and heavy snow here

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & Snowy, Hot & Sunny & Thunderstorms
10 minutes ago, Ian Docwra said:

The alien artefact off Thanet must have woken up and destroyed everything!  Actually I have noticed there are several such anomalies in that area, but the one off Thanet's east coast is by far the largest.

I researched the locations of coastal wind farms and the Thanet wind farm matches the location of that rather large and constant blob perfectly.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold, ice, frost, thundersnow,

Anyone here based west of Uxbridge, south of the M40, maybe near Beaconsfield or Marlow? Seems to have been a fairly localised but consistent band of moderate snow for a little while, so curious about how much has fallen for you.

Posted

Radar has gone again 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, dallas said:

Radar has gone again 

Raintoday will most probably do the same in about 6 mins time

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
6 minutes ago, yamkin said:

Snow has picked up again in Shirley, Croydon and temp has shot down to 0.5C ❄❄❄❄

Yep - heavier intensity again in Streatham.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, dallas said:

Radar has gone again 

Met office one seems ok, which is where I thought N/W get their feed from

• Like 1

Posted

Hi-res models seem to have dropped the Thames streamer idea.

I suspect more of the same this afternoon, very localised spots that get moderate snowfall for longer will get something decent. Otherwise more snizzle.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Beautiful afternoon here. Something to cherish before it disappears for another 5 years.

20210209_135048.thumb.jpg.64cddf52a0c8eef4f361ac9134856e0c.jpg20210209_134937.thumb.jpg.5d1b7861e9fc062c73ab7c9ebbd17422.jpg20210209_134736.thumb.jpg.a793b4abee9dc3dbda053014a466abbd.jpg20210209_135101.thumb.jpg.ae2dbd9cce8e81a8ce6f2ee70aa3b2c2.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind and summer storms

My feelings are that Kent’s and Sussex’s best chances will be later tonight and tomorrow as winds turn more NE 

Ironically this is the time I think an Amber warning would be more pertinent for this area 

Let’s see how it plays out but I’m thinking proper deep convection here with slower moving cells 

Dont get me wrong my parents have seen around 5-6” in N Kent over the last 2 days but I think that could be beaten in 24 hours over the next day or so 

As always where these streamers set up will determine where the heaviest falls will be. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
8 minutes ago, 3cats said:

There’s strange blue clouds and a yellow thing in the sky there’s also a sound of drip drip drip in the garden! 

It is strange seeing blue sky in what feels like forever. Just a glimpse here, so very blue.

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, sukayuonsensnow said:

Anyone here based west of Uxbridge, south of the M40, maybe near Beaconsfield or Marlow? Seems to have been a fairly localised but consistent band of moderate snow for a little while, so curious about how much has fallen for you.

Marlow here. That's what we got atm

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

It is amazing how much snow melt there has been on my flower bed whilst snow on grass has stayed intact.Having said that we must remember how warm Friday and Saturday of last week.Friday was delightful and springlike with a temperature of 11.5 and lovely sun.Although Saturday was only 7.1 it became increasingly wet so when we had the transition to snow on Sunday morning here about 6.30 the ground contained a lot of moisture and wasn’t very cold.Real shame we just didn’t have one dry day followed by one hard frost the night before the snow but there you have it.We are just at -0.3 here although -0.1 was warmest so touch and go if it stays an ice day.Please no more sun and we could just get away with it.

Interesting that wind direction just shifted to an ESE wind which just scuppered chances here of more snow but signs it may shift back again to an ENE In next hour and then those South of Thames may get some more showers this evening and overnight.The wind will then shift to NE and that will hopefully give a mid Kent streamer that will hopefully move down into Sussex tomorrow.With events today giving snow to central and north London more have got into the action today.I appreciate that those in the west of the region have been very unfortunate and I feel their pain,I have been there many times over the years but at least they received snow a couple weeks ago when those further east got none
Looks like staying very cold now till Saturday and then this is the period that becomes very uncertain.Will the strong block to the east repel the Atlantic?I would say atm 60/40 it will by Sunday but is by no means a done deal.Said it before but been best winter of model watching for me since I joined in 2013 as all winter we have always been in the game in terms of cold.I know Synoptics have not given us reality but compared to previous winters it has been great.I wish every winter was like that as these last 3 days have turned me into a big kid in the search for snow

stay safe

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, sukayuonsensnow said:

Whilst here in north east Hampshire for the 2nd day in a row the light stuff has stayed just to the north of Basingstoke, proper shield going on

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, saintkip said:

Whilst here in north east Hampshire for the 2nd day in a row the light stuff has stayed just to the north of Basingstoke, proper shield going on

We need the snow to be heavier than it is. Seems to die once it gets past the M25.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
8 minutes ago, JamesL said:

My feelings are that Kent’s and Sussex’s best chances will be later tonight and tomorrow as winds turn more NE 

Ironically this is the time I think an Amber warning would be more pertinent for this area 

Let’s see how it plays out but I’m thinking proper deep convection here with slower moving cells 

Dont get me wrong my parents have seen around 5-6” in N Kent over the last 2 days but I think that could be beaten in 24 hours over the next day or so 

As always where these streamers set up will determine where the heaviest falls will be. 

No where in the se has amber today, do they? There's a blanket yellow and rightly so to, my road is an ice rink. Although the nice people that live on the hilly road up to here, have cleared one side of the pavement, so it's safe to walk. Life savers they are, wouldn't have been able to get down the local shop at all otherwise. Slipped on the flat of my road once. Still have snow where people haven't walked. So I don't think the sun's going to melt it all but some has gone obviously. Roads are unusable unless you know what you're doing car wise. Tires slip.

Posted
1 minute ago, sukayuonsensnow said:

We need the snow to be heavier than it is. Seems to die once it gets past the M25.

Never ever did i think inwould here the M25 being a boundary for the snow... its usually the M4

It keeps trying and I am really impressed by this snow ❄

Posted

Skies have darkened again and it's started to snow again.  A change in wind direction to ENE again perhaps?

• Like 2