Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
51 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

Winds will continue with more of an easterly element for much of the day now, so showers generally heading east>west, though I think weakening & fading as the day progresses. 

During tomorrow a convergence zone will gradually sink southwards through EA, into Kent and eventually out into the channel, as shown well here by the FAX outputs

Wed06.thumb.png.0aea4a82a707f5a24a35c64314b6ade9.png>wed12.thumb.png.7dcd3fe5453da71b43cd7cb934ddb1d5.png>Thu00.thumb.png.3ee3623b9cea428e1393b8ec4ea1412a.png

Could give 2-5cm in places where showers frequent but it's unlikely to sit over any one area for very long.

I’m reading this very differently (doesn’t mean I’m right though)

Convergence lines are basically a slow moving trough, which would lead to persistent snow over many hours

On those charts the convergence line doesn’t appear to move a huge distance in 12 hours?  from +24 to +36 maybe 40/50 miles.

Meaning snow for longer and higher accumulations for those under it?

Edited by Coopsy
  • Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Ian Docwra said:

You really need to amend your profile to include your location if you are going to refer to "here" - no-one can tell where that is.

well it's not mandatory, and some people are wary of giving locations online. however, even an indication of location does help others. for example "south east London" may suffice

• Like 2

Posted
30 minutes ago, dubmuffin said:

Does anyone look at this one? I use it for wind and waves in the Summer but it has lots of overlays and you can compare the different models as well as reported observations from professional and amateur stations. You can click on a point and get the stats and show readings from the nearest stations etc. There is loads of functionality I didn't even consider until viewing it now in conjunction with the snow forecast. Winds veering more ENE later so back in the game imby

socialshare3.jpg
WWW.WINDY.COM

Wind map and weather forecast

Yes, it's a fabulous site. Came across  just recently. The webcam function on it is awesome.

• Like 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, danm said:

Make it stop?! Think you're the only person on here who doesn't want more snow. 

Weve had over a foot deep in places, which was nice and fun for a while, but its slushy now and icy and damn treacherous, then it stops being fun.

Posted

Slight thaw today with temps just above freezing now at 0.4. A few flurries blowing in the wind again.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS
5 minutes ago, Coopsy said:

I’m reading this very differently (doesn’t mean I’m right though)

Convergence lines are basically a slow moving trough, which would lead to persistent snow over many hours’

On those charts the convergence line doesn’t appear to move a huge distance in 12 hours?  from +24 to +36 maybe 40/50 miles.

Meaning snow for longer and higher accumulations for those under it.

Agree.

Some places in kent , E. Sussex could spend 4-6 hrs under persistent snow streamers like today but I'm expecting more intensity tmrow..

Not great here today temps have risen to 1.2c so far after two ice days. (Suns been in and out )

Saying that theres not mch dripping going on  ..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

Well we had about 3 hours of snow overnight , it really didn’t add any snow ?‍♀️ And today we have a massive thaw , nearly all snow gone but it feels bitter out there , very odd !! Well we have done better than I expected , so if that’s it then can I fast forward to spring please

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
  • Weather Preferences: I like a bit of weather
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT

Any thoughts on West Kent area overnight and this afternoon.  It is clouding over again now.  I'm just wondering whether flock feeding will be a bit of a "Scott of the Antarctic" scenario later

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOWWWWWWWW

Heavy snow currently falling small flakes though!

So what are our chances for another streamer setting up tonight? 

Posted

arghhhh! where has all the weather gone? 13:15 (NW) radar has no weather type over london at all 

Edited by MAF
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

The sun coming out and temps creeping just above freezing is making the snow that is falling now harder to stick around on concrete surfaces. Hope the cloud remains and sun stays in now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
48 minutes ago, Reefseeker said:

Indeed, the rooftops, roads and pavements have lost at least 50% of their snow in the past hour and the sun is now trying to come out. As noted elsewhere, the heavier areas of precipitation from the streamer headed north of here. The local park has no one even attempting to sledge as it is muddy underfoot and little settling snow is left. A bit puzzling after such a good start. Here is the Wunderground site from Braggs of Surbiton showing 0 degrees and sub-zero dewpoints with a NNE wind.

Screenshot (100).png

Maybe between 3-4 we can bring the snow line back south as winds are forecast to turn again more favourably for us and the sun lowers once again along with a temperature drop . You can see the difference in the snapshots taken .

1785B397-E5DA-4676-93E9-EBAB4FE71F39.png

523C35A7-F367-4D77-A86E-ADCA9B853E1B.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

Still snowing lightly and there are a few icicles forming so i'm assuming the thaw has stopped.. it feels colder too.

• Like 1

Posted

BBC graphics going for a Thames streamer tonight, and more showers into Kent on Wednesday. This underdoes the potential so in these areas I would have some hope

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Mark wheeler said:

Maybe between 3-4 we can bring the snow line back south as winds are forecast to turn again more favourably for us and the sun lowers once again along with a temperature drop . You can see the difference in the snapshots taken .

1785B397-E5DA-4676-93E9-EBAB4FE71F39.png

523C35A7-F367-4D77-A86E-ADCA9B853E1B.png

Correct. I have been noticing more activity around thames estuary. Showers looks like moving in again

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 minute ago, jamesgold said:

BBC graphics going for a Thames streamer tonight, and more showers into Kent on Wednesday. This underdoes the potential so in these areas I would have some hope

There's a Thames streamer now, but it going WNW rather than wsw due to wind direction, so get Essex and north London. Should come back south later.

• Like 3