Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Looks like there's more snow in Cornwall than inner London. Very frustrating..! 

Edited by Stabilo19
  • Like 2

Posted

Sun now shining here in Sittingbourne and some snow thawing, yet temperature is still only 0 deg with a dew point of -6. Hearing the odd drip drip outside the window and I think an icicle just fell off

Not sure if we'll see much more snow today or whether this will have all gone by the morning Mustn't complain though as its been a brilliant depth for the past couple of days..up to 6.2 inches.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
1 hour ago, Stabilo19 said:

Drip, drip, drip in C London. Seems we are just above 0°C now.  

Yep temps have creeped up and there’s a little snow melt now. Definitely not as cold as yesterday and the sun is trying it’s best to peak through at times. Noticed the snow is also a bit less powdery today. More moisture content, bigger flakes, less drifting. 

Still, we’ve had non stop snow today which topped up accumulations until the temps creeped up. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold

Has the wind direction changed??! 

My blobs are going too far north now!!!!

The polystyrene balls have even melted!

(Farnham, Surrey) 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter
5 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

Correct not good for us and why is there a thaw with -11 upper air temps 

Screenshot_20210209-120204_Samsung Internet.jpg

Appears some solar radiation is causing the slight thaw ( remember we have limited cloud thickness at the moment  ). The wind has also veered more to about 100degrees meaning any convection is moving North of Thames. 

Winds will back more ENE around the Estuary in around 3 hours and should later begin to enhance convection.

Temps will fall back as Sun recedes so will probably freeze everything around 6pm. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Winds will continue with more of an easterly element for much of the day now, so showers generally heading east>west, though I think weakening & fading as the day progresses. 

During tomorrow a convergence zone will gradually sink southwards through EA, into Kent and eventually out into the channel, as shown well here by the FAX outputs

Wed06.thumb.png.0aea4a82a707f5a24a35c64314b6ade9.png>wed12.thumb.png.7dcd3fe5453da71b43cd7cb934ddb1d5.png>Thu00.thumb.png.3ee3623b9cea428e1393b8ec4ea1412a.png

Could give 2-5cm in places where showers frequent but it's unlikely to sit over any one area for very long.

• Like 6

Posted

Brighter spells here and no snow falling at present.  +0.1C.   Big visible difference between parts of our garden just now - one area is sandy (free-draining), with full snow cover; the other is loamy and wet, with slushy stuff.  Looking both ways from the same spot.

DSC06604.jpeg

DSC06636.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Heavy snow here currently, small flakes. Doesn’t look like it’s filling in tyre tracks or footprints, but equally no obvious melting that I’ve noticed

• Like 1

So guessing the winds are now more Easterly which is bring some parts of the region who haven't seen much into play, It's nice to see some more moderate snow falling but it's melting quicker than it's laying, hopefully we get something more intense over the next few hours before it fades away. 

I'm guessing where it's colder beyond London into Windsor, Slough etc. it's probably starting to accumulate nicely? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
33 minutes ago, seb said:

I have a good feeling about there being a nice surprise tomorrow for an area stretching from Margate, Canterbury, Maidstone, Dover, Folkestone, Ashford down towards Brighton.

Watching the front in the south, I think Sussex might actually get a suprise today. It hasn't swivelled yet. Though don't get your hopes up, it might do so any time., But worth watching while it still has northerly movement.

Posted

I know it’s the MO app, but it does look like turning from ESE back to ENE later tonight. Maybe more convection and the chance of more snow for us in South London where it’s stopped

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

Watching the front in the south, I think Sussex might actually get a suprise today. It hasn't swivelled yet. Though don't get your hopes up, it might do so any time., But worth watching while it still has northerly movement.

Still 400 miles away over warm water, though.  Sorry, but I can't see it getting anywhere near Sussex.

• Thanks 1

Posted
33 minutes ago, Oaks said:

Could someone please tell me what this twig like feature that's circled means ? 

20210209_114434.jpg

Snow, well it's a convergence line. Basically what happening further north now.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Pretty much stopped snowing in Bexleyheath now, and a slight thaw happening (particularly on the pavements).

Skies are dark to my north, but think the wind has changed from ENE which is why the shower train seems to be skirting north now.  

Very pleased with this morning's snow though as wasn't really expecting anything much ❄☃️?

Posted

I know i’m lucky when i’m not worried about a small thaw we’ve got so much here and the light snow still coming down too, so any small amount melting is unnoticeable at all and creates pretty icicles 

Posted
21 minutes ago, Biggin said:

Is there a wind direction change due ie ENE to East ?  The radar wants to move the snow a little further north and remove me from being in the firing line to no snow.

There wasn't one forecast, but the winds do now seem to be ESE which is sending the band slightly north of where it was. Low in South close enough to change direction of the iso bars perhaps.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

'Warmest' it's been since Sunday, currently -1.3C with the sun making it's first appearance since Saturday too, but still snowing lightly as it has all morning. Heavier stuff have has stayed north of here. 

True sign IMO of a decent sub-zero cold spell, icicles, hanging from the eaves at the back of our house.

20210209_122429.thumb.jpg.d31a8eca7fe20cc58de8d06a5c5c23b4.jpg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

It's brighter here with a slight thaw but there's still light snow falling.

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, Natty68 said:

Sun now shining here in Sittingbourne and some snow thawing, yet temperature is still only 0 deg with a dew point of -6. Hearing the odd drip drip outside the window and I think an icicle just fell off

Not sure if we'll see much more snow today or whether this will have all gone by the morning Mustn't complain though as its been a brilliant depth for the past couple of days..up to 6.2 inches.

We've lost our sun, for now, don't know where the cloud is coming from though, checked sat and I don't think it's from the front in France yet.

Posted

Been absolutely chucking it down in Brentwood for the last 20 mins, some of the heaviest snow I’ve seen!

Parked for 10 minutes to do a delivery and the windscreen had fully covered over