Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter snow.

Seems that just as the streamer starts getting its act together it shifts north of here. Doesn’t look like there’s much more accumulating snow now south of the river. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!
1 hour ago, Blessed Weather said:

I'm in that gap showing on the radar and the sun has come out! It does make everywhere look lovely mind.

10.00  1122429770_RadarTue09Feb10_00.thumb.jpg.a2d31c5b98f99186fe8797f4a4ff4256.jpg  1173778400_Hadleigh09FebSunOut.thumb.jpg.38de4657f6abf4b42a9144181ec107f4.jpg

Pardon my ignorance Malcolm but what is that red squiggly line running from the North Sea then across the Essex/Suffolk border?

• Like 1

Posted

We're back to the light snow of yesterday around North Croydon now, garden temperature sensor is hovering around +0.6c but its noticeable on even the roads around here with the smaller amount of traffic there's a clear tarmac path developing.

I guess unless we're set for another snow event this evening this will be the best it will get? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spring
1 minute ago, TSNWK said:

Convergence line.  Under that should see heavy snow

2 minutes ago, lottiekent said:

Snow showers! Usually a nice streamer give consultant snow showers along that line - keeping my fingers crossed that won’t be removed from later fax charts when they’re released?

Thank you both

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Oaks said:

Could someone please tell me what this twig like feature that's circled means ? 

20210209_114434.jpg

Convergence line. Winds backing due to friction over southern East Anglia, meeting the air following roughly the isobars, not subject to as much friction over the sea north of Kent and forced to rise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Oh wow one minute all calm, birds fighting over the feeders... now it's amazing! 

Big fat flakes, heaviest I've seen this snow event.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Finally got a moderate snow shower. It seems the showers are holding up a little today. No hope regarding these settling as temperatures are above freezing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Just hit 0.1c here, first time it's been above freezing since Saturday evening, not bad going for this part of the world really. 

Posted

Gives somewhat of an idea how much snow has fallen, this was earlier and we’ve had several moderate showers since, snowing a fair amount again now too. best snow i’ve seen since 2010, easily beats 2018 for me personally

E7EFB12D-4191-426D-A970-BCFCAEDD9A42.jpeg

FAAC598A-733A-4224-9D11-C7AD8924388F.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Currently having somewhat heavier showers just need some better accumulations...temp 0.0c

20210209_115859.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

This is most unique cold spell I’ve ever known and not for a good reason never seen so much falling snow but the lingering ground heat has cost dearly. The temperature has remained subzero over the 36 plus hours, yet as soon as it eases it thaws. So frustrating I could have seen a good covering today.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Really odd. The big heavy flakes have been replaced by fine flakes and now it's started to accumulate on parrts of the paths and roads that have cleared. 

And now the sun has come out and the snow has eased off...

Edited by snowblind
  • Like 1

Posted

Is there a wind direction change due ie ENE to East ?  The radar wants to move the snow a little further north and remove me from being in the firing line to no snow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Will I carve out another ice day? Currently -1.1C DP -4.4C....

Posted

The narrow streamer that formed over the Thames seems to be drifting North.

Snow pretty much stopped now in SW London, but still cloudy. Clouds look thin though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

This is most unique cold spell I’ve ever known and not for a good reason never seen so much falling snow but the lingering ground heat has cost dearly. The temperature has remained subzero over the 36 plus hours, yet as soon as it eases it thaws. So frustrating I could have seen a good covering today.

Yes, really is such a shame. I willing keep this in mind for the future reference so as to avoid disappointment when it happens again. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
Just now, Biggin said:

Is there a wind direction change due ie ENE to East ?  The radar wants to move the snow a little further north and remove me from being in the firing line to no snow.

Correct not good for us and why is there a thaw with -11 upper air temps 

Screenshot_20210209-120204_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
8 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

It’s thawing on the cars too albeit slowly , just wondering if temps have nudged just above freezing .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
14 minutes ago, claret047 said:

Pardon my ignorance Malcolm but what is that red squiggly line running from the North Sea then across the Essex/Suffolk border?

Not ignorant at all Dave. I think if I had zoomed out on the radar you would have seen they were isobars. I use the Netweather Extra radar (so subscribers only) where you can turn on or off a whole range of options including isobars, temperature, rainfall accumulation, humidity, dewpoint, etc. Here's a screen grab with wind chill and isobars turned on.

255367911_RadarTue09Feb12_05.thumb.jpg.a6b6ff5e0893720b31c7cff7a1d14d52.jpg

• Thanks 2