Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
10 minutes ago, Ian Docwra said:

Regarding temperatures, something that may be worth bearing in mind is that the sun at the moment is getting high enough to provide a little warmth even through moderate cloud.  This means that its radiative effect can warm many surfaces and objects enough to raise them a little above freezing even when it's snowing lightly.  This includes cars and conservatories, paths with some bare areas showing (dark absorbs heat much more than snow) and metal garden furniture, for example.  These can all be sitting at a degree or so above freezing even if the air temperature is not.  The stronger wind reduces the effect as it drags the heat away and evaporation cools the surface.  Today's wind is much lighter than yesterday's and the warming effect is more apparent.  If we were in mid-December, solar warming would be much less significant.

I've got bright sun shine on my ice now, wondering how much will melt before tomorrow. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Ian Docwra said:

Depends where you are - how thick the cloud is, etc.  Heavier snow showers will both cut out the solar warming and bring colder air down with the snow, lowering the temperature.  The same cycle can continue until late afternoon when the sun's warmth is gone.

With the showers being alternating between lighter and heavier I am going to assume will have to wait until around 3pm for settling assuming any showers are around at that time. 

Thank you for your level headed input over the last week while many of the rest of us  got a bit overexcited. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter
29 minutes ago, BOMBHEADS said:

well the met office is sticking to its guns, sounds like milder weather only making it as far as the SW, should stay cold in east.

Judah Cohens latest blog also supports a continuation of cold across Northern Europe including the UK over the next two weeks.

The link is here :-

AO Blog Update | AER | Weather Risk Assessment

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spring
4 minutes ago, Howie said:

Snowing a lot here but it's melting on the ground again, really sobering 

Sorry but where is here ? 

• Like 1

Posted

I spoke to soon. (can't find previous post where i said showers looking better over the sea). As soon as I posted that it stopped snowing. 

In the meantime I've been outside to clear the van if snow as I have to go out later. Of course I took a quick measure before doing so, pic below  

Roughly 22cm or around the 9 inch mark in old money. Luverlee 

20210209_105625.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Well after a period of moderate snow here in Locksbottom from 8.30-10.30 the sky is brightening and temperature risen to -1.3.Just measured 7.5cms here which is 50% more than what we had from BFTE so for this part of NW Kent it has been a better event.The main band/streamer has always been 2-3 miles north of me and I hope for TOMSE12 and others it keeps going for a few more hours.Good luck to everyone for later today tonight and tomorrow and then we can look forward to 2 or 3 very cold nights.Reckon somewhere will hit -10 before weekend which is a rarity for these parts.

stay safe and enjoy the snow in a safe way on walks

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy all weather but LOVE snow and thunderstorms

Snowing moderately but small flakes here in Sheerness I wounder if we here will get any heaver snow today? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Just had a wee graupel shower. But, based on yet another look out the window, there's bugger all upwind!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
1 hour ago, Cheese Rice said:

I know some people are happy with it snowing for 48 hours but I'm over it lol. 

IMG_20210209_095600.thumb.jpg.1b0c231306b3319692378e2caa267eeb.jpg

Central London, always rare for snow to settle there. No problems out here in zone 5. Getting on for a couple of inches in NE London now. Had non stop snow all morning, alternating between light and heavy. 

Edited by danm
  • Like 2

Posted

Here in snow starved Cambridgeshire all I can say is bring on spring...  might get my wish next week if the wind turns southerly?!

• Like 1

Posted

Another major BBC self-contradiction this morning - the TV forecast told of a battle between mild and cold air masses this weekend, with the cold winning, whereas their web pages show double-figure temperatures for the SE next week!  

Edited by Ian Docwra
  • Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, Howie said:

Snowing a lot here but it's melting on the ground again, really sobering 

You really need to amend your profile to include your location if you are going to refer to "here" - no-one can tell where that is.

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Ian Docwra said:

Another major BBC self-contradiction this morning - the TV forecast told of a battle between mild and cold air masses this weekend, with the cold winning, whereas their web pages show double-figure temperatures for the SE next week!  

It's almost like they just take the raw output from the model they are given in the long range forecasts. When using the MetOffice data they would often give a variety of options and take their hunch on what was the most likely.  To keep things on topic however I can finally report a cm or two in most spots of snow cover. Mind you I have seen some impressive icicles.  

Edited by RichmondWeather
  • Like 1

Posted

I have a good feeling about there being a nice surprise tomorrow for an area stretching from Margate, Canterbury, Maidstone, Dover, Folkestone, Ashford down towards Brighton.

• Like 3

Posted

Heaviest snow so far today, really coming down now. Temp -0.2c. Not sure it's adding much to the accummulation though. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Easygoing, but winter is meant to be white, dammit!

Dreaded sound of dripping on the balcony...icicles have all but gone.

Still snowing lightly as it has done continously since the start of this event, and has amounted to a grand total of....about 1cm, if I'm generous.

Meanwhile, my mother continues to bait me by showing me photos of Biggin Hill

Posted
3 minutes ago, Oaks said:

Could someone please tell me what this twig like feature that's circled means ? 

20210209_114434.jpg

Snow showers! Usually a nice streamer give consistent snow showers along that line - keeping my fingers crossed that won’t be removed from later fax charts when they’re released?

Edited by lottiekent
Wrong word originally
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Oaks said:

Could someone please tell me what this twig like feature that's circled means ? 

20210209_114434.jpg

Convergence line.  Under that should see heavy snow

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1