Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
18 minutes ago, paget said:

Anyone else looking out the window hopefully about 500 times a day!?? 

im getting a neck ache!!!

Yes!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Oh snow, got to be close second frosty mornings, all white and glistening,

Rds still not covered but coming down really hard, my footprints covered now by fresh snow, pavement's where snow is still there more layers just happy there are flakes now after two days of tiny white stuff 

• Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, sukayuonsensnow said:

Depends how much of the greens and yellows make it across London, it will be at least more persistent than yesterday so a decent covering. Will come down to locality, some areas more north or south maybe only getting a dusting or light covering.

I am in Farnborough in NE Hants. It does look like they are heading our way but who knows. If they are not heavy enough and with the temp warmer than expected we may get very little settling. Just a 1cm dusting or so here now and thats starting to go from roads and pavements. Whereabouts are you?

Posted
18 minutes ago, tomp456 said:

you're further east than me though and away from the coast, seems we need very precise conditions to get decent snow on the coast, conditions that only show up a few times in a generation.

Agreed, I'm more optimistic here than I would be there, BUT a) the Fax charts suggest that stream could/should extend right through into the channel, and b) you just never really know...

Doubt it will be good for more than a cm or two anyway, but I'm guessing a proper layer would please you very much, and I'm greedy for all I can get...

Edited by wellington boot

Posted

looking at the radar, the streams of ppn seem to build along a line just south of the river thames. starting around gravesend and then heading east. wind has dropped a lot since yesterday but still blowing laying snow around making it difficult for it to settle too much. temps just gone positive at 0.1C and cloud level looks a little higher than yesterday. altitude seems to be making a big difference for SE london. looking at cameras for the woolwich ferry and snow cover is scant and patchy. yet a mile up the hill on woolwich common and there is a full covering of around 3 inches +

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, ptow said:

I am in Farnborough in NE Hants. It does look like they are heading our way but who knows. If they are not heavy enough and with the temp warmer than expected we may get very little settling. Just a 1cm dusting or so here now and thats starting to go from roads and pavements. Whereabouts are you?

Posted

Was this the band supposedly heading to France? Seems further north. Won’t make it here but may clip the south coast as it hits the easterly winds?? But I don’t follow the models so not sure  

1AA0C270-9F24-48E8-9FA9-C2ED35402575.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Looks like the actual Thames streamer is happening now, it's that thin line of heavier snow, heading wsw, good luck.

• Like 2

Posted
23 minutes ago, paget said:

Anyone else looking out the window hopefully about 500 times a day!?? 

im getting a neck ache!!!

I've been browsing the radar, met office and looking outside every 5 minutes..lol  I even contemplated going out behind the dog, in the garden, with a broom too smooth over his footprints so it looks all smooth and lovely again..lol

Posted

Had a 5 minute blizzard but anything settling hasnt added to amounts and a slight thaw has started, blue skies now, quite like some strong sun to really get the thaw underway, snow is nice, but now id like to be able to walk without risking needing a new  hip after falling.

Posted

Regarding temperatures, something that may be worth bearing in mind is that the sun at the moment is getting high enough to provide a little warmth even through moderate cloud.  This means that its radiative effect can warm many surfaces and objects enough to raise them a little above freezing even when it's snowing lightly.  This includes cars and conservatories, paths with some bare areas showing (dark absorbs heat much more than snow) and metal garden furniture, for example.  These can all be sitting at a degree or so above freezing even if the air temperature is not.  The stronger wind reduces the effect as it drags the heat away and evaporation cools the surface.  Today's wind is much lighter than yesterday's and the warming effect is more apparent.  If we were in mid-December, solar warming would be much less significant.

• Like 3

Posted

The Easterly flow is a double edged sword on the coast... The sea track is a bit longer and the winds are lighter than before. This allows more time for convection to develop, but also allows the surface air to warm a little more. Getting some lovely heavy showers with big flakes but the existing snow is starting to melt.

Posted
4 minutes ago, joespontiac said:

Was this the band supposedly heading to France? Seems further north. Won’t make it here but may clip the south coast as it hits the easterly winds?? But I don’t follow the models so not sure  

It'll probably run along the channel to N. France.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, Ian Docwra said:

Regarding temperatures, something that may be worth bearing in mind is that the sun at the moment is getting high enough to provide a little warmth even through moderate cloud.  This means that its radiative effect can warm many surfaces and objects enough to raise them a little above freezing even when it's snowing lightly.  This includes cars and conservatories, paths with some bare areas showing (dark absorbs heat much more than snow) and metal garden furniture, for example.  These can all be sitting at a degree or so above freezing even if the air temperature is not.  The stronger wind reduces the effect as it drags the heat away and evaporation cools the surface.  Today's wind is much lighter than yesterday's and the warming effect is more apparent.  If we were in mid-December, solar warming would be much less significant.

When do you think the solar influence today will reduce enough to allow for better settling of snow? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Feeling colder than yesterday in that bitter strengthening wind. It’s making the snow drift a bit in places, and blowing it off of roofs.

Also some icicles are beginning to form more widely, with some fairly big ones hanging from some houses!

F6FFF223-7F89-4613-8D92-A9D7CB705670.jpeg

Posted
1 minute ago, fujita5 said:

The Easterly flow is a double edged sword on the coast... The sea track is a bit longer and the winds are lighter than before. This allows more time for convection to develop, but also allows the surface air to warm a little more. Getting some lovely heavy showers with big flakes but the existing snow is starting to melt.

An easterly flow gives a shorter sea track than the north-easterly we've been having.  Trace back from, say, the Thames estuary along each track and see the distances involved before hitting land again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Some yellow and orange echos appearing in the showers around the estuary now, good to see! 

Dark, convective looking clouds overhead in C London too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

I think that's it for me, looking at the radar, im nowhere nr the streamer line, topped out at around 2.5cm, which im a little disappointed with, but I'd say the same with any amount, i'll always want more lol. Models are hinting that this cold spell will come to an end at the weekend. I've seen falling snow on Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and today so far, will I get another day tomoz. Sun is appearing at times, so im expecting some melting, and my icicles have shrunk, probably not the 1st male to say that recently, ooh er missus.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Snowman31 said:

When do you think the solar influence today will reduce enough to allow for better settling of snow? 

Depends where you are - how thick the cloud is, etc.  Heavier snow showers will both cut out the solar warming and bring colder air down with the snow, lowering the temperature.  The same cycle can continue until late afternoon when the sun's warmth is gone.  Then the opposite effect takes over - clear skies lead to rapid cooling as the earth radiates heat away, but clouds limit the cooling through their insulating effect.

Edited by Ian Docwra
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
11 minutes ago, joespontiac said:

Nah I think it's already on the swivel, though I will keep an eye on it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow
17 minutes ago, SHM040519 said:

Have here too! Looks very ominous in Canterbury - whats your thoughts for tomorrow?

More good dumpings for us me thinks. They'll start off in a line roughly around Southend at 9 ish and be in a line over us by noon as it moves E. 

Decent dumpings as showers will be heavy and continuous due to convergence. Sun may thaw the snow slightly but will be some heavy snow nonetheless if all sets up right. Of course, will be a case of radar watching but looking promising for our corner.

• Like 2