Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

Snow been on and off here so far today with some sunshine. Light stuff but with big flakes mixed in but air temps just edged above freezing for a little while and some big icicles forming (haven’t seen these in years!) however temps have now dropped just back below again with cloud cover.

Dp still well below and radar looking decent with a band now getting its act together! 

Edited by Nimbusman
  • Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, abovefreezing said:

Can anyone explain why, with temperatures below freezing, there is absolutely zero settle on my paving slabs all the way up the garden? Generally, not impressive apart from on the grass, despite days of falling snizzle.

Its probably due to the ground temps being above freezing but someone with more knowledge might be able to help

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

Doesn't look like there has even been any snow here in the early morning, i saw the radar and the snow over my location yet i don't see anything difference. Oh well the sun has gotten through and i see the nice blue skies so if I can't have snow I at least have the clear weather

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold

My tiny floaty bits of snow () are now going upwards!! 

(Farnham, Surrey) 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm spring days and summer thunderstorms

Just had a snow shower here with a real gusty east wind, blowing it all about again, after a bright start.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Ian Docwra said:

It's nowhere near heavy enough for Amber!  There would need to be major streamers delivering huge amounts to warrant that (as with EA over the last two days).  The amount heading across barely even warrants a Yellow warning.

warnings are not all about amount. the risk and likelihood factor the warning.

just had a 10 minute downpour here, the red blob on the radar was right over my house. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

Temp exactly 0.0c

Overcast again after a few glimmers of sun.

Still a few flakes blowing around.

Personally now looking forward to tomorow afternoon/Evenings offerings 

Convergence over kent/Sussex says beefy showers to my eye..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Looks like the uppers are also east north east now, my streamer is done, enjoy London and through. Did land here, but not in large numbers, the due point is very low. -6 that does effect amount of snow. So enjoy watching it fall, I'm not sure about landing though. Hope it gets heavy. It'll land then.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold
4 minutes ago, MAF said:

maybe they got too excited

Don’t panic, they are are down again!!!

Posted
2 minutes ago, londonblizzard said:

308278767_Screenshot2021-02-09at10_33_36.thumb.png.66a60e75d492fcbf3d5b657bb045b9e2.png

Intensification off the coast in the last 20 minutes. HIghest proportion of green i've seen so far today. Could mean the snow making more of a way inland without breaking up so early. 

just need the wind  to stay same direction

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

it would seem like Kent and Sussex is in line for another snow sesh tomorrow, and models put me on the  absolute extreme western edge of the border between no snow and snow.

damn.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Hmmm...struggled to get much more overnight on the Essex coast so stuck around 5cm here, did the Thames streamer set up last night?

Sadly temp fractionally above freezing and the odd snizzle.

My little scottie loves it, completely energises him!

20210209_094539.jpg

Posted
8 minutes ago, Snowman31 said:

Would I be right in assuming that snow won't settle now due to the solar energy?

It's actually somehow snowing and sunny where i am right now. Really not going to help with keeping temperatures down. Heavier precipitation is the best we can hope for for overcoming these problems.

Edited by londonblizzard

Posted

One simple photo for the losers of this event. 

This is why straight Easterly/NEly (and for that matter SEly) streamers almost never deliver deep snow for Cambridge (it's currently clear blue skies). There's an area off Norfolk/Suffolk, presumably the equivalent of the 'headland of East Anglia', that very rarely develops shower activity. When it does it usually gives a good cm over Norwich before evaporating around Thetford forest. This was also the case in the 2018 BFTE (albeit with a similar problem angled from around Suffolk) and the 2013 BFTE too. In a nutshell, we're just too far inland. For us, as already discussed, we need a NNE for showers off the Wash area (Jan 03/Dec 09) or frontal movement up from the South (Feb 09) or down from the NW (March 13). Otherwise it should be a matter of expecting extremely little in these setups - with, no doubt, the occasional surprise. 3rd time unlucky has hammered this home for me! 

wtaf2 (3)_LI.jpg

Edited by ITSY
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
1 hour ago, Paul Sherman said:

Having had a look at some charts tomorrow looks really good for your location.

A convergence Zone sets up through Mid and East Kent and also parts of Sussex bending away into the English Channel.

Could be some decent dumps of Snow from Medway Towns Eastwards to Dover, and places like Brighton across to Folkestone and maybe Eastbourne etc could get in on some decent falls tomorrow

Hey matey do you have a link to the latest Fax charts for tomorrow? Struggling to find them!

Posted
1 minute ago, Froze were the Days said:

Hmmm...struggled to get much more overnight on the Essex coast so stuck around 5cm here, did the Thames streamer set up last night?

20210209_094539.jpg

not last night but in full effect now.. made up for the loss of sunday and monday so far

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 minute ago, Froze were the Days said:

20210209_094539.jpg

All it did here was fill foot print then drift off somewhere. But it was nice falling till I went to sleep. The trick now is keeping the ice with all this sun about, so tomorrow's snow can do the same.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course
23 minutes ago, Ian Docwra said:

A number of reasons are possible - for a start:

1. Drains or pipes running underneath (we have this with our front path) 

2. The ground still has some deeper warmth from the mild weather before the snow and this leaches upwards

3. Salt residue

4. Generally, slabs and concrete transmit heat better than grass, and heat leaks from houses' foundations to surrounding areas and warms them enough to prevent anything but brief freezing in strong winds, when the heat leaking out is overwhelmed by the constant influx of colder air.  Lighter winds can't take that heat away fast enough.

My garden stepping stones have the same problem, There is no pipes underneath, no salt residue and they are not close to the house so I can only assume there is residual deeper warmth. They do get covered in the heavier bursts but it soon melts when it gets lighter. Still weird though with it being -1.7 out there.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Neilsouth said:

Hey matey do you have a link to the latest Fax charts for tomorrow? Struggling to find them!

Screenshot_20210209_104907_com.android.chrome.jpg